Author Topic: Got a set of CZ triplets and a M1903A3 this weekend!  (Read 415 times)

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
Got a set of CZ triplets and a M1903A3 this weekend!
« on: May 22, 2023, 05:57:35 PM »
(Apologies for the poor photos in advance, been swamped lately and a few quick snaps on the hood of the car in the garage before I left for work was the best I could do)

Anyone who knows me knows that:

a) I'm cheap.
b) I like original milsurp firearms head and shoulders above anything commercial.
c) I don't have quite the *ahem* collection that many here do  (you know requiring entire separate rooms to house said firearms).

So knowing that, I recently got a lead from a buddy of mine for a widow who was selling off all her late husband's firearms.  The original list amounted to 100+ firearms and I came into the picture with only 15 of them left.  I saw what was there originally and am a bit saddened that I missed out as there were some really nice firearms!  Of the 15 left, most were the dregs of the collection (as one would expect, all the good stuff goes first, then the not-so-bad-stuff, then the dregs that nobody wants.) They were all mostly filthy, some had some mechanical issues, and it was clear why they were still there.  They ranged from Bubba'd Mosins, bubba'd K98s (those hurt me a little to be honest), a bubba'd M1903A3, a decent little Lee Enfield No 1 MkIII, some 16 ga and 20 ga shotguns in slightly rusty shape, and then all by their lonesome were these three CZ rifles in oddball calibers that I assume scared the vultures off:
  • CZ 527 American Synthetic Suppressor-Ready in 7.62x39.  $450.  This was the one that got me all hot & bothered.  I've wanted one of these for ages.  Missing the thread protector on the muzzle, but I just ordered a factory replacement from Numrich for $15 so I'm good to go.  I might even go with a muzzle brake/flash hider or may even think about getting a can depending on how much I like shooting it.  With a 16.25" barrel, this is a *really* short carbine, I can see how handy it can be as a brush gun!  Nice and light, good condition on the finish with a few scuffs on the composite stock.  Bore is great, does not look to have been shot all that much.  These were discontinued only a couple years ago in 2021 and other flavors of 527s in 7.62x39 can still be had today for ~$759 retail.

• CZ 550 FS in 6.5x55 SE (6.5 Swedish)  $450. I wasn't looking for this one at all, but heck if I was going to turn my nose up at it.  20.5" barrel.  We'll see how it compares to my Swedish M1896 as that gun is an absolute tack driver.  This line was discontinued in 2017, so they are getting *really* tough to find and recent GunBroker sales are routinely selling for $1k+, well above the original MSRP.  Again bore is excellent on this one and the gun itself is in the nicest condition of the four.  I really dig the Mannlicher style (FS in the part number stands for "Full Stock").

• CZ 527 American in 22 Hornet  $350. I totally did not need this one.  I have nothing in this caliber.  I hated to see the last CZ all by its lonesome sitting there with the horsetrash on the island of misfit toys though.  I threw out a relatively lowball $300 offer (knowing that I'm not going to take advantage of a widow!) and we haggled a little bit before she agreed to it.  These are still available are retail, but very difficult to find in stock anywhere.  When they can be found, they appear to run about $700 or so.  It's funny, looking through old GunBroker completed auction of similar rifles, they are going for $1k+.  The scope on this one is scratched up pretty good, but the gun itself has excellent finish.  There is one little nick on the checkered stock with one or two handling marks.  I will be able to at least get my money back on this one if not turn a profit as I'm not 100% certain if I'm going to hang on to this one or flip it yet.  I only found a couple places on the web that even have 22 Hornet ammo (and at that it's $1.50 a round), so that's certainly a consideration too.

• Bubba'd M1903A3 Springfield  I didn't get a photo of this one.  Will post one when I get a chance.  M1903A3 with a replacement stock and the sights have maybe been swapped out too.  I got it as a shooter as I still have never shot my low S/N M1903 with the possibly brittle receiver.  This one was a steal at $200 so I didn't bother much with exactly what configuration it was in.  I know it's been bubba'd though, whether irreversibly or not I'll have to figure out.

Anyhow, that was my weekend.  I need to clean each one (did I mention all her guns were pretty dirty?) and see if I can get to the range to test them all out. Would love to hear opinions (good or bad).  thumb1
« Last Edit: May 23, 2023, 02:27:28 PM by running-man »

Online Cz315

• Marksman
  • The only way to avoid gun N is to avoid gun N-1
Re: Got a set of CZ triplets and a M1903A3 this weekend!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2023, 06:35:12 PM »
Great catch, RM!

Offline echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2023, 07:44:35 PM »
Nice score. It's prolly just as well you weren't there at the on set or you'd be eating Top Ramen for the rest of the year.  chuckles1 PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2023, 07:46:39 PM »
Holy sh!t.. straight up thief..  thumb1 nice RM, real nice... Glad to see your getting out more.. there's probably even a Mosin out there for you too...   GG gonna be all outta sorts when he sees the 527..  rofl2

How do you sleep at night missing a wad like that from your mattress? think1  guess you don't sqeak when you walk now..  how many bats flew out of your wallet....rofl2  rofl  chuckles1  Ehh.. guess I should be nice..... That's 4 more than I've bought in the last 2+ years..  :(   and the room thing, that hits in the GM feels there buddy...  ::) I'll let P32 deal with ya..  thumb1
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2023, 07:54:02 PM »
Excellent score! thumb1 I’m excited about them in the same order that you presented them 8)

I like CZ and I seem to have a few rifles in 7.62x39 but none that are bolt action…definitely envious of that first one. I enjoy 6.5x55 a lot too  ;)

Online Cz315

• Marksman
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2023, 08:15:32 PM »
I like the Swede the best, even though 550 is not a mini Mauser.

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2023, 08:35:41 AM »
Thanks guys! 

Heck GM, your ammo probably takes up two rooms by itself!

I was surprised at how smooth the actions of the three CZs are. They are quite nice compared to say what tots get in a new Remington 700 these days. I’ll have to look at the 550 in more detail, I didn’t realize it’s not the same Mauser style action as the 527s!

I took the 1903A3 out last night and snapped some quick photos of it in the relatively poor lighting of the spare bedroom. It actually not  quite as bad as I thought. Will post them when I get to work!

Online Cz315

• Marksman
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2023, 09:24:47 AM »
Actually, I think I confused 550 with 557. 550 might be the Mauser action still. Even better!!!

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2023, 02:29:29 PM »
Got the photos of the 1903A03 up.  I think it's not quite as bad as I feared since it looks like it's not totally gone: missing stock, handguard, handguard band, both barrel bands/swivels, buttplate, stacking band/swivel etc.  Front sight is still there and the barrel wasn't chopped, (man that sucker is looooong, I guess I forgot how much barrel these things actually have) so yay to that! thumb1  I forgot to look for any proof stamps though.  I will give them all a good once-over when I clean them and hopefully get some nice outdoor photos.