Author Topic: Comprehensive Triangle Arsenal C&R Grid  (Read 946 times)

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
Comprehensive Triangle Arsenal C&R Grid
« on: April 14, 2023, 02:38:21 PM »
RM note: Because of the difficulty the community has in dating a Chinese SKS I came up with a quick look grid that helps ID any particular triangle arsenal gun at a single glance (which honestly is not terribly difficult, but the statements of many of the *ahem* 'real' collectors have so muddied the waters with horsetrash, crap, and outright wrong information I've decided it's simply not worth my effort to try and correct it anymore.  The damage they have done to the SKS collecting community as a whole is quite disheartening to say the least, especially when I see new 18 year old collectors on Reddit spewing the same horsetrash over and over again).

This grid gives a basic rundown of all the known & identified triangle arsenal type 56 carbines and their known S/N prefixes, how that corresponds to the years of manufacture based on the SKS-Files method of dating, and then where a reasonable yet conservative C&R cut line falls based on this information.  The cut line is based on a gun being known to be 50 years old even if it was assumed to be manufactured on December 31, of the year in its date stamp which is the worst case scenario.

The grid itself should be relatively explanatory:
  • Anything shaded green is a C&R as of the current timestamp date in the upper right corner as per the SKS-Files dating method.
  • Blue boxes are suspected but as of today, unseen year codes of that particular arsenal based off a cutoff of under two years 'missing'.  Please note that type 56 carbines from these holes may not actually exist and it may be that the Chinese idled that particular factory for unknown reasons during this time.
  • Of course, all BATF C&R rules apply to any C&R and if any question arises in whether a particular firearm can be classified as a C&R, the easiest way to be 100% certain is to get a determination from the BATF of that particular firearm.
  • For a C&R transaction to occur, both the buyer and seller have to agree that the firearm can be classified as a C&R.  A firearm may well be a verified C&R but if the seller refuses to sell it as one, the buyer has little recourse but to go through a FFL01.

If there are any questions or comments please feel free to ask! 

Downloadable PDF is here
« Last Edit: January 31, 2024, 12:00:15 PM by running-man »

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
Re: Beta Review - Comprehensive Triangle Arsenal C&R Grid
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2023, 06:10:57 PM »
Dude, this could be a game changer to offset misinformation. Thanks and good on ya (as the Aussies would say) for cranking this out.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Online Shoot The Refurbs

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Marksman
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2023, 01:10:41 AM »
This is amazing.  clap1 It helps to picture everything much easier, and hopefully will be used as the standard reference sheet when regarding C&R transfers of Chinese SKS's.

Thank you again for the effort you put into providing clarity to an entire community.  thumb1

-STR

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2023, 07:57:53 AM »
Wow, great work RM  :o thumb1

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2023, 04:14:33 PM »
Thanks guys, Was hoping to keep it a simple one-sheeter, but dang that's a lot of info to fit on one 8.5x11 piece of paper.  The image and PDF I have are actually for a 11x17 tabloid size, which when I print at work are *perfect* & beautifully readable.  Unfortunately, outside the engineering and architectural trades, tabloid and larger sizes are not all that common. I was thinking of splitting it into two landscape images @ 8.5x11 and when put together that would make an 11x17 sheet. think1

I also found at least two errors in there too, I'll correct and release updated grids periodically (at least every new year or when we find a new arsenal).  thumb1

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • SQUIRREL!!! Camp Lejuene Water Survivor.
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2023, 09:56:45 PM »
Thank you for all of the hard work that you do thumb1.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
Re: Comprehensive Triangle Arsenal C&R Grid
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2024, 12:04:16 PM »
I've updated the grid to be up to date for 2024. 

Remember, 1974 produced guns could theoretically be considered '50 years old' but pushing the build date 'back' to December 31, 1973 leaves no wiggle room for some goober to say "Actshully, it's only 49 years & 213 days old, not 50 years."

I will get rectangle, oval, and 'special' arsenal stamps on another grid at some point.  thumb1