Author Topic: New to me Romanian SKS  (Read 10475 times)

Offline K-9

• Beaucoup dien cai dau
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rifleman
  • Save a Life. Adopt.
New to me Romanian SKS
« on: November 18, 2015, 02:21:14 AM »
When near perfect Yugos stopped falling out of the sky....  I went and found a Romanian SKS... FINALLY!

This thing looks really good.  Stock is mismatched, but it was about the best I could find at a price I was willing to pay.  Most of these are the sellers pics, but the first four are my pics.  It was hard to get a pic of the tiny import stamp and it looks weird blown up, but I thought it might be interesting.

The bayonet has a triangle with something inside it stamped on each side.  I tried to get a picture of that and some other interesting stuff, but couldn't get a picture you could see on camera. 

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
Re: New to me Romanian SKS
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 06:11:03 AM »
Oh yeah!    Thats a nice clean Romanian.  Shoot it yet?   Man does my Romy cycle like a dream..

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline carls sks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 08:18:45 AM »
nice, thanks for sharing.  thumb1
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 09:49:44 AM »
Very nice looking, congratulations!

Offline K-9

• Beaucoup dien cai dau
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
  • Save a Life. Adopt.
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 01:48:54 PM »
Just got it in and haven't shot it.  Is it any different than shooting a Russian SKS?  It seems about the same quality.  I assume they shoot the same. 

Of course, I cannot complain about the quality of any of my Chinese SKS, either.  No complaints at all.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 03:10:37 PM »
They shoot better imho

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Direct Connection

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
  • California is where reality goes to die.
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2015, 10:48:16 PM »
 Thats a Nice one K9. Romys are great SkS's and well respected on any surplus gun boards out there. When used by soldiers they were probably the most disrespected weapons of any country out there. I put a non matching in a tapco. It loves being fed by the striperclips and accepts them like no other. Shoots strait and malfunction is not a word in its vocabulary.. Go Romy !! Yours looks hardly used at all :o

I wish I could get it to accept 2 sets of 10 round stripper clips into a tapco 20 round mag...  ??? That would be AWESOME !

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2015, 11:54:51 PM »
Very nice!

My Romy-fu is weak, but isn't finding an all matching one almost impossible?  To have matching metal and a mismatched stock that looks like a closer match to the hand guard than most replacements do...I say great score!

I don't think I will ever run into one in Montana...they likely were absorbed before making it this far inland...thanks for the pics!  thumb1

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2015, 12:26:37 AM »
UUUmmmmmm, a Romy drool2 drool2  Import stamp looks normal, it's a later import stamp.

Now, for extra credit, find the sling, and a cleaning rod   chuckles1  Romanians are usually always missing the cleaning rods.. think1

Come on, Romanian slings are just so......sexy  thumb1

finding an all matching one almost impossible? 

Matching ones do exist, and somewhat difficult to find, but not impossible, my '57 is totally matching, the '58, '59 and '60 not so much..
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline K-9

• Beaucoup dien cai dau
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
  • Save a Life. Adopt.
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2015, 01:14:22 AM »
Thats a Nice one K9. Romys are great SkS's and well respected on any surplus gun boards out there. When used by soldiers they were probably the most disrespected weapons of any country out there. I put a non matching in a tapco. It loves being fed by the striperclips and accepts them like no other. Shoots strait and malfunction is not a word in its vocabulary.. Go Romy !! Yours looks hardly used at all :o

I wish I could get it to accept 2 sets of 10 round stripper clips into a tapco 20 round mag...  ??? That would be AWESOME !

Hey, KK!  ummmmm...  DC......   :-\

No Tapco for this Romy girl.  The stock is really nice.  Some crackling of the finish from age and a few imperfections on one side that look like shipping or storage complications.  I have a couple of cracked stock $199 Chinese SKS that shoot fine in a poly stock, so she stays in wood. 

And it really doesn't look like it has been shot at all.  The owner says it was bought 30 years ago and never fired.  Probably true.  The owner has gazillions of things to shoot and sold all but two of his SKSs off recently.

UUUmmmmmm, a Romy drool2 drool2  Import stamp looks normal, it's a later import stamp.

Now, for extra credit, find the sling, and a cleaning rod   chuckles1  Romanians are usually always missing the cleaning rods.. think1

Come on, Romanian slings are just so......sexy  thumb1

Matching ones do exist, and somewhat difficult to find, but not impossible, my '57 is totally matching, the '58, '59 and '60 not so much..

But it has a cleaning rod.   I knew the sling would be the tough part.  Not worried.  If I find one, I find one.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2015, 01:50:48 AM »

And it really doesn't look like it has been shot at all.  The owner says it was bought 30 years ago and never fired.  Probably true. 

The import mark says within the last 5 years or so...these were first imported around 1999 to 2000 time frame.

An early import stamp would look like this vs the dot matrix style stamp which yours has.

I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2015, 03:04:47 PM »
I thought I saw a disappearing/reappearing cleaning rod.

Those slings look pretty cool in a weird way and the vegetarian wife won't shoot anything with a leather sling.
Funny how she prefers wood to poly stocks....but I will never claim to understand the tree hugger types. :)

I am hoping for an auction win on a Yugo sling for my 'Jerry's Yugo'  I might just have to hunt down some funky Romy's for the rest of the collection... chuckles1

Maybe if I can find one for Jerry and an extra I will have the excuse to buy the carbine that it belongs on...someday.

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2015, 10:37:12 PM »
K9 I got your younger brother here GH 5347. Born in 1959 also. Its amazing how, like yours, some of these things look like they've never been shot ! But then they have a non matching stock. As Nancy Karagin would say... Whyyyyyyy Whyyyyyyy !   bat1

:) 

Offline K-9

• Beaucoup dien cai dau
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
  • Save a Life. Adopt.
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2015, 12:02:35 AM »
I thought I saw a disappearing/reappearing cleaning rod.

Those slings look pretty cool in a weird way and the vegetarian wife won't shoot anything with a leather sling.
Funny how she prefers wood to poly stocks....but I will never claim to understand the tree hugger types. :)

I am hoping for an auction win on a Yugo sling for my 'Jerry's Yugo'  I might just have to hunt down some funky Romy's for the rest of the collection... chuckles1

Maybe if I can find one for Jerry and an extra I will have the excuse to buy the carbine that it belongs on...someday.

I wouldn't complain!

Offline K-9

• Beaucoup dien cai dau
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
  • Save a Life. Adopt.
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2015, 12:03:47 AM »
K9 I got your younger brother here GH 5347. Born in 1959 also. Its amazing how, like yours, some of these things look like they've never been shot ! But then they have a non matching stock. As Nancy Karagin would say... Whyyyyyyy Whyyyyyyy !   bat1

:) 

That one is yours?  Awesome looking!

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2015, 12:34:55 AM »
That is a great looking Romy K9, very clean.  It is a tough challenge to get matching stocks on these things, the wood on them is wicked soft and whatever finish they used just didn't hold up like some of the shellac other nations preferred. 

GM is 100% right on the import dates.  I've never heard of Romys coming into the US prior to 1999 myself.  I got mine back in '04, from two private sellers and at that time private sales were all that was left as the retail outlets had run dry the year before.  The dot matrix font is a good indicator of the year like GM mentioned, but don't forget the actual HQ location info that is contained in the stamp too!  Century moved from St Albans to Georgia, VT in 2000 and the pin punch (dot matrix style lettering) was adopted in 2002 to comply with new ATF requirements on standardized depth of import marks..  As such, there is no way your gun was imported 30 years ago.  The seller did not remember that info correctly it seems (which is understandable after 15 years, heck I can't remember what I had for dinner last night sometimes!)  thumb1

Offline K-9

• Beaucoup dien cai dau
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
  • Save a Life. Adopt.
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2015, 07:48:04 PM »
You weren't kidding about the slings... Every SKS sling turns out to be a WASR sling.   :(

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2015, 07:50:43 PM »
Nobody ever seems to mention...   There are two versions of the Romy sling.  Both are basically identical in construction other then one is wide and the other is narrow.

Third one down is narrow... The other three are wide.

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2015, 09:06:59 PM »
I always thought I had a faulty one and possibly LC the bottom pic may even be wider then GM's. This thing is Fat  :) What say you. I might have to measure the width on this one in the morning. There may be 3 sizes or maybe the one I have is a faulty fake or something weird.. IDK

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2015, 09:47:02 PM »
I would encourage all romy sling owners to record and compare widths in a research and documentation thread.    :)

I won't be home for a few weeks, but I have both a narrow and wide version to measure and contribute.