Author Topic: It's like riding a Vespa.  (Read 3180 times)

Offline Blicero

• Always plays Bf8
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Hermann Goering is my copilot
It's like riding a Vespa.
« on: January 08, 2017, 12:23:17 AM »
I have 3 gun-hunting routes. On one of my favorite routes I pass through a town that I know has a shop but I've always marched past it on the interstate. Finally I decided to give it a gander, and I'm glad (or slightly ashamed) that I did. I had a feeling I was walking into something interesting when I saw this out front:

The shop is a small operation, and they had recently brought in a handful of old stuff- Finn m91, '37 Luger 2nd variation with wrong grips, Chinese SKS, Mas 49/56, a St. Etienne Lebel or Berthier or Whatever The Heck They're Called, a really nice Enfield No1/3, Turked 1888 Commission rifle, and the Mas rifle I eventually bought. I wanted to package in the Finn & Enfield but their bores were disasters, unfortunately. It's rare to see such an eclectic mix in my small backwoods shops so I was still happy just to handle them.

I managed to finagle this French Mas 44 out the door. I'm first to admit that I know nothing about French rifles, care nothing for French rifles, and have zero interest in studying the trivia of French rifles. But I figured it might be fun to shoot, I just need to stock on up on some 7.5croissant ammo. I did learn a few things about it, thanks to the world wide web of wisdom, before I got bored and moved on. It was made in 1954, the final days of military bolt guns. Sling looks original French. The only charming or well made or interesting feature I can readily find is the bayonet, it's quite the fearsome contraption, and how it is stored reversed inside the stock.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 12:48:35 AM by Blicero »
"I reject your suggestion."
-Ramcke

"You would last about an hour in Charlotte before the police were called bc you were walking around outside with a bottle of scotch and a g43."
-Ty O

"I don't appreciate you showing Nazi images. My old lady's granddad died at Auschwitz."
"I'm sorry to hear that..."
"Yeah...he fell off a guard tower."
-You Know How I Get Thomas

Regional Spelling Champoin, 6/6/2012

"Why the hell does it look like you turned into some weird trendy libtard?"
-LooseCannon

Online Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
Re: It's like riding a Vespa.
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 01:34:18 AM »
Its a MAS 36 you finagled out the door.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline carls sks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 08:37:32 AM »
interesting (cool looking too), thanks for sharing. thumb1  ......  :o French rifle, probably never shot.
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 11:31:23 AM »
Wonder which one of these guns pictured has ever been shot in anger....   :)

More info on the cannon please...  thumb1

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 04:21:27 PM »
Very nice!  :) The Parkerized ones in new or like new beechwood stocks were produced post-war (like yours) or a product of the refurbishment program in the 1970s that returned them to near perfect condition before storage in Cosmoline.  The pre-war produced rifles were in walnut stocks with black painted metal, similar to the hard black paint, Suncorite, found on Lee-Enfield No4 Mk1s.  These are nice shooters in 7.5x54 French approximating the ballistics of 7.62 NATO.

Sounds like a good shop  thumb1  I never see that kind of diversity of milsurps in my neck of the woods.