Author Topic: VZ-52 for sale locally- School me  (Read 3827 times)

Offline bbush44

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
VZ-52 for sale locally- School me
« on: August 29, 2016, 12:19:07 PM »
So I read through P32's sticky on the VZ-52, but I got a few questions on one that is for sale locally. If this is in the wrong section, please move.
Here is the listing:
Decently rare VZ-52 originally chambered for 7.62x45 but has an insert spacer so it uses 7.62x39 with no issues. The spacer was put in with locktight and hasn't budged since it was put it over 100 rounds ago. Wood is in usable condition but not great. Some rough areas and a splinter forming near the bayonet relieve. Missing the wood section for for the top cover. Comes with the original 10 round mag and a small box of 7.62x39
$300 obo

Pictures from the seller:

So what is the deal with the spacer so you can run 7.62x39? Never heard of that. Also no bayonet, hand guard, cracked stock? How hard are those to find? Price?
Thanks in advance

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Re: VZ-52 for sale locally- School me
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 01:22:24 PM »
The Arabic numbers sure are intriguing, but I think I'd pass. You should be able to find one in the original 7.62x45mm in good shape for $300-400. The VZ52/57 that was chambered at the factory for 7.62x39mm fetch $800-1000+ these days.

I would think a handguard and stock would set you back about $150, bayonet $50+?, if you were patient enough to find them.

The conversion kits are still sold*. 7.62x45mm ammo is definitely getting hard to find and it's spendy ($0.80-1.00 per round) unless you luck into a stash like I did.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/ad/197610.htm

Offline bbush44

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 02:06:42 PM »
The Arabic numbers sure are intriguing, but I think I'd pass. You should be able to find one in the original 7.62x45mm in good shape for $300-400. The VZ52/57 that was chambered at the factory for 7.62x39mm fetch $800-1000+ these days.

I would think a handguard and stock would set you back about $150, bayonet $50+?, if you were patient enough to find them.

The conversion kits are still sold*. 7.62x45mm ammo is definitely getting hard to find and it's spendy ($0.80-1.00 per round) unless you luck into a stash like I did.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/ad/197610.htm

Thanks P32! Seller says it a bring back with no import marks, and he has the bayonet. Says he bought the conversion kit from ebay and did it himself. :-[
Yeah I think I will probably pass at this time. The condition of stock, missing hand guard, conversion kit, etc... just worry me. I don't see them pop up for sale around here very often, so it kind of drew some interest from me.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 05:33:50 PM »
Red 'permanent' loctite has one notorious weakness: heat. That it is the only thing used to hold in a chamber insert is a testament to people wanting a VZ52/57 yet not wanting to shell out the $1k+ they currently command. Though it's lasted 100 rounds, it's just a matter of time before the insert is ejected along with a spent case and someone has a <click, nothing>, or a <click, remnants of ruptured case going everywhere> moment.  I would consider this one a one round per magazine shooter if I considered it at all.  I think passing it up in search of a more pristine VZ52 is a good plan Brian!  thumb1

Online Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 05:49:37 PM »
One other consideration I didn't see mentioned with these, is the bore, many can have rough bores or worse, sewer pipe bores. The gas system might be another area worthy of inspection, it can suffer the same corrosive effects as the bore saw. I found one local several years ago, nice wood, it was pretty, all was go till I looked in the barrel :o I think it might have still had rifling, in spots. chuckles1 My worst Mosin bore would have been sniper grade compared to what I saw in that tube. Usually parts are hard to come by, which is not a big deal, you can find them with some searching, and a replacement mag usually is a pretty penny.

Surplus is getting hard to find, but at times, 7.62x45 is still loaded commercially, Buffalo Arms does load it in reloadable brass, pricey yup, but you get the brass with it.. http://www.buffaloarms.com/762x45_Ammunition_it-158118.aspx
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem