Author Topic: Opinion on an SKS Sporter value  (Read 5156 times)

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
Opinion on an SKS Sporter value
« on: September 14, 2015, 10:54:40 PM »
Okay,  what do you think SKS Sporter, non-match and not correct Chinese stock, Labanu Inc. importers otherwise in great shape. Has the BHO in the carrier. I think 2 mags and a nice fit in the well.
Also, although the stock is not correct(has a modified standard SKS stock) it fits well and looks good.

I'm thinking $450 maybe $500??? Thoughts on it?
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
Re: Opinion on an SKS Sporter value
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 11:34:37 PM »
I just posted the Commercial Chinese GB grid in Power Surge's Commercial GB Listings for August 2015 thread.

For this month, the lone Bubba SKS Sporter in fair condition went for $425.   Only data point I can give you until we get a few more months under our belts.  I don't think you're too far off. thumb1

Offline Power Surge

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 11:49:10 PM »
Okay,  what do you think SKS Sporter, non-match and not correct Chinese stock, Labanu Inc. importers otherwise in great shape. Has the BHO in the carrier. I think 2 mags and a nice fit in the well.
Also, although the stock is not correct(has a modified standard SKS stock) it fits well and looks good.

Ok....there's a lot going on here.

First... bolt hold open in the carrier.... Sporters don't have that. Navy Arms Type 84s do however, and they are 16" barrel AK mag guns. Navy Arms wouldn't be Labanu NY though.

As for the regular style stock....don't be so quick to discredit that. The very first Sporters had military stocks. They would be 1988 guns. Do you have a pic of the serial? 88 Sporters are SUPER rare.

We need pics of this gun for sure. Too many questions about it.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 12:20:22 AM »

First... bolt hold open in the carrier.... Sporters don't have that. Navy Arms Type 84s do however, and they are 16" barrel AK mag guns. Navy Arms wouldn't be Labanu NY though.

As for the regular style stock....don't be so quick to discredit that. The very first Sporters had military stocks. They would be 1988 guns. Do you have a pic of the serial? 88 Sporters are SUPER rare.

Okay, got more info. BTW, this belongs to BillyBang over on the other boards. He had posted up there asking because he tried to sell it at a gunshow and it didn't sell so he was curious as to opinions on value. It got me curious so I posted up about it here.

Anyway, more info;
BB is a machinist and made the BHO on the carrier himself. He got it in an ATI stock with no mag-well liner. He also made that and fit it into a standard stock.(that's what I meant by not the correct stock, just that it wasn't the original)  He said it is marked SKS Sporter 93. It also appears to have the shorter gas tube as with the SKS-S as there is a gap between the FSB and the gas block.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline Power Surge

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 12:30:54 AM »

Okay, got more info. BTW, this belongs to BillyBang over on the other boards. He had posted up there asking because he tried to sell it at a gunshow and it didn't sell so he was curious as to opinions on value. It got me curious so I posted up about it here.

Anyway, more info;
BB is a machinist and made the BHO on the carrier himself. He got it in an ATI stock with no mag-well liner. He also made that and fit it into a standard stock.(that's what I meant by not the correct stock, just that it wasn't the original)  He said it is marked SKS Sporter 93. It also appears to have the shorter gas tube as with the SKS-S as there is a gap between the FSB and the gas block.

Ah.. ok then.

BHO is a nice option, but really it doesn't serve much purpose as the gun has a drop free bolt, and doesn't use strippers.

Magwell liner is nice looking, but it's strictly cosmetic, it has nothing to do with magazine fit (just FYI).

The late Sporter (92-93) is a short gas system, same as used on the SKSS and the SKS-M. The Sporter and M are actually the same gun, with different stocks.

The question really is what are you interested in it for? If you want originality, you'll be buying another stock and you have a hole drilled in the original carrier. In that case, the gun is definitely not worth $450, as you can find all original guns for around there. If you just want a nice AK mag SKS and don't plan to change much on the gun (adding $$), then $450 is a good price, as you're not really going to find an AK mag SKS much less than that. And IMO, the Sporter and M have the best magazine lockup of all the AK mag SKSs.

Hope this helps.

Offline XXXSKS

• HOT DAMN Commercial SKS EXPERT YeeeeeeeeHaaaaaa
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • AC/T84 "D" KS-30 MC-5D "M" NR Sporter 63 93
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 01:47:51 AM »
This is not a typical Sporter or a bubba. AK mag rifle averages don't apply.  It is a gunsmiths labor of love. Retail value on the mods alone put the price well over $1000. Will he get that probably not . I personally would not accept less than $800 for that rifle. Anything less it would stay in the safe.

8)................Joe
WELP ....................HORK SPIT........................