Author Topic: Chinese SKS questions  (Read 1024 times)

Offline REDWINGSMAN08

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
Chinese SKS questions
« on: January 16, 2022, 07:41:33 PM »
Hello, new to this board as I am really wanting to get into collecting SKS rifles!! They rock!! Actually some 20 years ago I did own 6 SKS rifles....ending up selling all of them and buying AR's!! IDIOT!!  lol
Ok, I own an all matching Chinese type 56 in immaculate condition that I bought about 4 months ago at a gunshow. It was unfired(never seen so much cosmoline in a SKS), but hey I think that is part of the fun of owning them. Cleaning em up!!
One question I have is........the serial number is 1,600,ish but rifle has a spike bayonet. I have read that the spike bayos on Chinese rifles did not start until after serial number 9,000,000......is this correct?
Also this rifle has a D on the rear sight elevation area which I thought the D was only on Albanian rifles??? Lastly the triangle on left side of receiver has 636 inside it not 26, if that matters??
Looking forward to your responses!!

Jeff

Online echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
Re: Chinese SKS questions
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2022, 08:13:03 PM »
Welcome from Kali, PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2022, 08:15:33 PM »
Hello, new to this board as I am really wanting to get into collecting SKS rifles!! They rock!! Actually some 20 years ago I did own 6 SKS rifles....ending up selling all of them and buying AR's!! IDIOT!!  lol
Ok, I own an all matching Chinese type 56 in immaculate condition that I bought about 4 months ago at a gunshow. It was unfired(never seen so much cosmoline in a SKS), but hey I think that is part of the fun of owning them. Cleaning em up!!
One question I have is........the serial number is 1,600,ish but rifle has a spike bayonet. I have read that the spike bayos on Chinese rifles did not start until after serial number 9,000,000......is this correct?
Also this rifle has a D on the rear sight elevation area which I thought the D was only on Albanian rifles??? Lastly the triangle on left side of receiver has 636 inside it not 26, if that matters??
Looking forward to your responses!!

Jeff

Welcome to the files.
China started making SKSs at other arsenals in/around 1970. Some smaller arsenals dropped a digit in the SN process so your SN is a 1.6 million as opposed to being 16 million, but it is still a 16th year build which would make it a 1971 build. I have both a 1.5M and a 1.6M from the /606\ arsenal.
Yes, 9M, 1964, is the transition year from blade to spike bayonet.
Chinese sights can be U, II, III, 3, and D stamped. I am not sure how that works out as to era of build or arsenal, but I have had all those over my years of dealing with the SKS.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2022, 10:32:56 PM »
Welcome from WA!  I haven't really followed the NHL since Minnesota (my home state) lost the North Stars to Dallas bat1  rofl

GG covered it pretty well. Would love to seek your Type 56 SKS if you care to post pics over in the SKS Chinese military section.

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • SQUIRREL!!! Camp Lejuene Water Survivor.
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2022, 04:41:43 PM »
RWM08, Welcome from Kentucky/Colorado.  Glad you're on board!!

Offline Bubbazinetti

• MAGA Patriot
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2022, 12:48:57 AM »
Welcome to the Files from the Granite State of NH.
When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns.

Offline REDWINGSMAN08

• Newber
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2022, 01:32:45 AM »
Many thanks to the folks who have welcomed me on board!!!!

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2022, 09:56:09 PM »
Welcome to the boards. 

A "D" rear sight leaf is the correct configuration for a year 16, /636\ made carbine.  thumb1.  The D on a /636\ Chinese is a bit different than what you'll find on a typical Alby:

/636\ year 16, Chinese:

Alby:

Offline Hotrod

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Cadet
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2022, 07:05:26 PM »
Welcome from Texas!

Offline fchaus

• Newber
  • The Dude Abides
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2022, 08:12:03 PM »
Welcome from a fellow new member.
Craig H

Offline Direct Connection

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • California is where reality goes to die.
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2022, 11:07:11 PM »
Welcome from the Great State of Jefferson