Author Topic: Photo of North Korean Honor Guard: Odd Bayonet Attachment  (Read 961 times)

Offline jmaurer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rifleman
Photo of North Korean Honor Guard: Odd Bayonet Attachment
« on: December 26, 2021, 11:01:58 PM »
Browsing through other sites' discussions of North Korean honor guard SKS rifles, I just realized that I've missed the obvious anomaly in the photos that most of us have seen with the chrome-plated rifles. What's up with the bayonets / bayonet attachment-swivel-thing on these?!

I guess I never really paid attention since I always assumed I'd never get my mits on one of these...

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Re: Photo of North Korean Honor Guard: Odd Bayonet Attachment
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2021, 07:56:43 AM »
Good catch. Definitely a different front sight base-bayonet lug. No handle-muzzle ring for the bayonet. The bayonet has a shortened and modified tang that appears to be riveted or bolted to the bayonet lug in the permanently deployed position.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
Re: Photo of North Korean Honor Guard: Odd Bayonet Attachment
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2021, 01:02:10 PM »
Shadetree mechanic work at it's best there!  They took that FSB down to the bare minimum too, looks like what's used on an 18" SKS to be honest:

There must be something underneath the FSB taking the place of the cleaning rod nipples that still allows attachment of the bayos using that clamp-like fixture.  Bayo shank is pretty much gone too.  It's a wild mod that doesn't really seem to serve much purpose.  Why not just use stock hardware and leave it in the extended position?