Author Topic: Curious Sino-Banian Barrel replacement. (1.5mil Foxtrot)  (Read 145 times)

Online Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
Curious Sino-Banian Barrel replacement. (1.5mil Foxtrot)
« on: November 28, 2021, 08:43:52 PM »
Someone posted a very nice, all matching 1.5mil on gunboards today.

https://www.gunboards.com/threads/1970-15-mil-factory-26-sks-uncommon.1206446/#post-
Never seen this type of barrel-receiver "RE-Indexing" before:
Barrel # is 25
Receiver # is 6

However, just to the right of the 6 is a very lightly etched 25.

Anyone ever seen this before?

Online Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
Re: Curious Sino-Banian Barrel replacement. (1.5mil Foxtrot)
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2021, 08:49:45 PM »
I'm curious (i.e. confused) how such a mating would be possible as 6 and 25 would thread almost 180 apart......

If the barrel were installed upside down, would  this minimize the amount of re-tapping required for the receiver?  Or would that short-seat the barrel? (What am i even saying?)

think1
« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 08:54:34 PM by Boris Badinov »

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2021, 10:07:40 AM »
Here's what I think.  Not 100% certain (and how can anyone be of any SKS?) but I think it's highly plausible:

This is what the clocking looks like on a protractor:

Note that the solid red line would be a perfect 180 opposite.  When LC did the physical testing to verify our hypothesis that these numbers are indeed barrel indexing number, he actually took two guns that were a perfect 180 opposite.  With the barrels off, he then installed one barrel on the opposite receiver, torqued it in place and it indeed was exactly 180 off.

In this case, it appears that they took a new barrel that was 10 more than 180 apart, and utilized it based on the dotted blue line.  My guess is that they may have shaved a few thousandths off the face of the receiver, taken some off the seating surface of the barrel, and/or torqued the hell out of it to get the two flats on the short barrel lug to clock properly.  If they did this, it would require the gas port to not have been pre-drilled (as it would be upside down), but instead to be drilled after the barrel was installed on the gun (which I think was probably standard practice, but I have no data backing this up at all.  With the accurate clocking method used they could easily have predrilled those ports).  The Yugo replacement barrels that Sarco had way back when were indeed undrilled for the gas port, so I think there is precedence for this.

It's definitely an interesting specimen.  I've seen non matching #'s before, but not from guns in this recent import batch.  One has to wonder whether it was a replacement barrel, or they simply utilized a new barrel that didn't quite index perfectly during initial production because they were running low on certain parts.  think1

Online Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2021, 10:40:33 AM »
The same guy posted on the 'other' boards asking for info on it stating he had found some info on the files and the SKSguide. I almost posted up that he wasn't going to get any good info on it from them, but I thought better of it. It did make me chuckle a bit though.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2021, 01:01:08 PM »
What RM said

One can easily change the index by removing material from the receiver face.

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.