Author Topic: Chinese Type 56 SKS Questions  (Read 325 times)

Offline pcke2000

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Marksman
Chinese Type 56 SKS Questions
« on: October 23, 2021, 10:44:05 PM »
I know very little about Chinese SKS. Trying to learn more. Questions to forum members:

(1) When did Chinese eliminate lightening cut on bolt carrier, end of 10 m or early 11 m?

(2) When did Chinese eliminate the groove on up side of rear sight leaf, end of 10 m or early 11 m?

(3) When did Chinese change safety level from 'checked' to 'smooth'?

(4) When did Chinese change the groove on down side of rear sight leaf from 'narrow' (like Russians) to 'wide'?

Offline GuitarmanNick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
  • Live each day as if it was your last!
Re: Chinese Type 56 SKS Questions
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2021, 10:16:43 AM »
The answers you seek may be available, here: http://chinesesks.weebly.com/

Lots of details about variants of the Chinese SKS have been gathered and posted to aid in identification.

Offline pcke2000

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2021, 09:16:58 PM »
The answers you seek may be available, here: http://chinesesks.weebly.com/

Lots of details about variants of the Chinese SKS have been gathered and posted to aid in identification.

I have checked it already. Unfortunately answers are not there.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2021, 11:37:21 AM »
I know very little about Chinese SKS. Trying to learn more. Questions to forum members:
I'm assuming you're limiting this discussion to /26\ guns only?  Add other arsenals and everything is out the window.  Even limiting to only /26\ there are oddities and everyone may not agree.

(1) When did Chinese eliminate lightening cut on bolt carrier, end of 10 m or early 11 m?
Somewhere between 11,107,000 and 11,135,000

(2) When did Chinese eliminate the groove on up side of rear sight leaf, end of 10 m or early 11 m?
Somewhere between 11,000,600 and 11,026,500 though there are instances of grooves all the way to S/N 11,107,000.  Could have been old stock being found and used or a replacement part.

(3) When did Chinese change safety level from 'checked' to 'smooth'?
I have a single year 9 example that is smooth, but it could easily be a replacement.  All year 10 examples appears to have knurling.  First definitive non-knurled safety lever I find is around 11,300,000.

(4) When did Chinese change the groove on down side of rear sight leaf from 'narrow' (like Russians) to 'wide'?
Unknown, area is almost never photographed.  In fact, I only have 4 photos:
Year 2:

Year 8:

Year 12:

Year 15:

That year 8 example is a pristine public security gun with original stock.  I have no reason to believe that sight was replaced based on the rest of the gun.  But again with only 4 data points, impossible to make any kind of definitive determination when this changed.

Offline pcke2000

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2021, 10:14:21 PM »
Thank you so much, RM! Your pics and explanation answered all my questions.