Author Topic: Spare Extractor firing pin and Retainer Pin  (Read 450 times)

Offline AClarion

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
Spare Extractor firing pin and Retainer Pin
« on: September 13, 2023, 09:58:23 PM »
Greetings,
I am new to the forum and was looking for some advice. I have a 1950 Tula, refurbished, all matching. I have had it for years and just took it out of storage to put some rounds through it. It is a great weapon. This is my SHTF gun and I want to make sure I have some spare parts just in case. I figured the firing pin, extractor and firing pin retainer pin were essential. I have searched the usual places but cant find ones for the 1950. Can anyone offer a suggestion as where to look or does anyone have these parts on the forum? Glad to be here and looking forward to contributing.

Rick

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
Re: Spare Extractor firing pin and Retainer Pin
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2023, 10:25:59 PM »
Hi Rick,

A 1950 Russian SKS45 has a spring loaded firing pin and different bolt design, so the later year Russian and all Chinese/Romy/Yugo/Albanian pins & hardware would not fit it.  Your best bet is to look on the WTS board here, on gunboards, and to browse auction sites like gunbroker & eBay to find what you are looking for. They are out there, but they are hard to find because they are often listed incorrectly or listed without enough photos and info to determine what they truly are. 80% of what you find out there will be Chinese hardware.

Your best bet might honestly be to get a complete spare bolt with all the hardware included (FP, FP spring, extractor, extractor spring, & headless retaining pin). The bonus is that you would likely be able to drop in the bolt and get it to work. I would headspace the spare bolt to ensure you don’t have an unsafe fit, but it could be a drop in replacement if needed in a SHTF scenario.

Good luck and welcome to the boards!  thumb1

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2023, 10:30:43 PM »
One other thing that just crossed my mind is that Ben Murray at Murray’s gunsmithing has replacement CRES (stainless steel) FPs and new Wolf springs that should work with Russian‘49-‘52 style bolts. Follow his link at the bottom of our homepage and see what he may or may not have to help you.

Offline AClarion

• Newber
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2023, 07:13:52 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I did find Murrays and have what I am looking for. I found an extractor on EBay for $19.99. Is that a decent price?

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2023, 10:03:36 PM »
I checked with polytechparts.com and they are asking $36.99 + shipping for NOS extractors so, yeah, that's probably a good price.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • SQUIRREL!!! Camp Lejuene Water Survivor.
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2023, 12:30:53 PM »
AClarion, Welcome aboard from Kentucky!!  As far as a SHTF Weapon, just arm your Fire Team Family all with an SKS.  Saves time and all have compatible ammo and parts (once you get a spare bolt assembly) thankyou1 chuckles1 wink1

Offline AClarion

• Newber
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2023, 10:34:21 PM »
Thanks for the advice. Keeping the same caliber is probably a good idea.

Online echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2023, 11:08:06 PM »
AClarion, Welcome aboard from Kentucky!!  As far as a SHTF Weapon, just arm your Fire Team Family all with an SKS.  Saves time and all have compatible ammo and parts (once you get a spare bolt assembly) thankyou1 chuckles1 wink1

^^^This, and have a few scoped rifles that can reach out there, in groups of like calibers and .22s for some of the women & chillin. PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798