Author Topic: 18099..  (Read 1328 times)

Offline ozark1

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Cadet
« on: December 29, 2020, 12:55:27 PM »
This is a Christmas present to me..from my wife...Well..she did say.."go ahead and buy it "..Marked BTCS El Monte Ca....7.62x39 SKS  Made in China

Sorry about the last picture..Sheldon gets into everyuthing !!..I think I need a Blade Para. bayonet ???
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 01:00:08 PM by ozark1 »

Offline astronut

• This user has decided to end his association with SKSFiles
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Marksman
Re: 18099..
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2020, 01:05:55 PM »
This is a Christmas present to me..from my wife...Well..she did say.."go ahead and buy it "..Marked BTCS El Monte Ca....7.62x39 SKS  Made in China

Sorry about the last picture..Sheldon gets into everyuthing !!..I think I need a Blade Para. bayonet ???
Blade bayonet for the SKS or to use on the cat?   ;)     :))

Offline ozark1

• Cadet
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2020, 01:29:13 PM »
My wife likes Sheldon. I found him in the woods 9 years ago..in December..The bayonet question...From the screw hole to the end of the stock cut is 11"..the wood opening is 6". There is a small cut in the end cap.??I have a shortened spiker..and it doesn't fit right ?. Maybe the blade is correct..

Offline ozark1

• Cadet
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2020, 01:30:10 PM »
I assume that the Importer was Briklee Trading Company..

Offline ozark1

• Cadet
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2020, 01:51:47 PM »
I have another Paratrooper..26 arsenal...8 million SN...The cut for the bayonet has a deeper notch in the end cap metal..and...another groove cut into the bottom  of the bayonet cut in the wood. It has a spiker..but may not be right.. Seems the extra depth would be for a blade...

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2020, 01:58:32 PM »
I think you are correct, Jerry, that it is a Briklee. Is the action a pinned barrel or a threaded barrel? It is a scrubbed stock so can easily be replaced as blade paratrooper bayonets are very hard to find and more expensive as well. I think Larry has a Para spike bayonet and I may be able to swap you out for a scrubbed stock cut for a spike bayonet if you end up going that route. Other options, find a regular blade bayonet and grind it down to a Para length blade(still expensive), or cut the stock out for a spike bayonet slot.(if you are handy with a router, this is the cheapest option)

Spike bayonet lower ferrules have a U shaped cut out, whereas blade bayonet ferrules have a V shaped cutout. If your ferrule has a U shaped cutout then the stock you have is not correct for the action.

If your actions are both the same(pinned vs. threaded) and both stocks are scrubbed then you could try swapping stocks for yet another option.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2020, 01:59:05 PM »
BTW Jerry, nice Paratrooper :)
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline ozark1

• Cadet
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2020, 02:31:07 PM »
It is short threaded..My other Para...8mil # is long threaded..It has the V cut in the metal cap with an additional groove cut into the standard Bayonet groove...the 18099 has a shallower rounded cut in the metal cap..Maybe the 8mil is for a blade..I have astandard spike that was cut down for a para...but it doesn't lay in the groove all the way..Assume because metal is still wider where it meets the groove. I have a good belt sander ???!!!

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2020, 02:38:31 PM »
It is short threaded..My other Para...8mil # is long threaded..It has the V cut in the metal cap with an additional groove cut into the standard Bayonet groove...the 18099 has a shallower rounded cut in the metal cap..Maybe the 8mil is for a blade..I have astandard spike that was cut down for a para...but it doesn't lay in the groove all the way..Assume because metal is still wider where it meets the groove. I have a good belt sander ???!!!

Sounds like the 18099 is for a spike and the 8M is for a blade. Is the stock on the 8M numbered matching? if not, try swapping the stocks since both are for a threaded barrel they may each fit the other. Then you can put the spike on the 18099 and it will be correct. You are still looking for a blade bayonet, but at least you will have them both correct when finished. FYI, the blade will not fit correctly into the U shaped ferrule on the 18099 Para without modification.(turning it into a V) you may not need to do that with the swap though. Thing is, you can always swap it back, just play with them to see how it works out. As long as you get a decent fit on the stocks you are not going to affect accuracy.

Offline ozark1

• Cadet
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2020, 03:05:52 PM »
Sfter getting more versed in SKs rifles..it seems to me that the stocks are a fluid item. They go from one to another..back and forth....without hurting value..The 8mil has a nice stock.not matching to the rest of the gun..so that's a possibility...OR..I have a Desert Sand TAPCO..and 2 matching 20 round mags..HMMMMM ?

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2020, 03:32:02 PM »
Sfter getting more versed in SKs rifles..it seems to me that the stocks are a fluid item. They go from one to another..back and forth....without hurting value..The 8mil has a nice stock.not matching to the rest of the gun..so that's a possibility...OR..I have a Desert Sand TAPCO..and 2 matching 20 round mags..HMMMMM ?

Defining word on the stocks is "somewhat". There is always a matter of fitment, and then there is the matter of pinned vs threaded. Pinned barrel actions will fit into a threaded barrel stock(many times loose and sloppy), but threaded barrel actions won't fit into a pinned barrel stock.
And then there is aftermarket, which is always an option.

Offline ozark1

• Cadet
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2020, 03:55:22 PM »
I learned about pinned V threaded...(the hard way)..and have a nice pinned barrel stock on the way for one that had the bayonet cut on the stock filled in..

Offline Matchka

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2021, 12:48:53 AM »
Nice!