Author Topic: 1967 Israeli Capture Type 56  (Read 2950 times)

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
1967 Israeli Capture Type 56
« on: May 24, 2019, 08:47:01 PM »
Thanks to the excellent thread on the IC guns by Mitch and Travis, I spotted this IC for what it was at an auction last Saturday and snagged it for the price of a Classic Firearms Sino-banian.

12 million Type 56 in the IC serial number range. Defining Century import mark. Russian unnumbered stock double-cut for a blade/spike bayonet. It has a patch of wood at the back of the inlet where they just cut the groove all the way through. Matching except for the gas piston (no number on the gas tube). The handguard is hardwood with a very rough finish that is a very dark reddish-brown.

It's been fired but not a lot. Wiped some soot off the gas piston and there is a bit of a dirt ring on the face of the bolt. It's still in Cosmoline, and has a perfect bore and crown. I don't see any sand in the interior.

Anyhow, hope you enjoy!

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
Re: 1967 Israeli Capture Type 56
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2019, 12:46:17 AM »
Noice!

Whats going on with the buttplate....  did they reuse the tabbed plate on the laminate stock? 

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2019, 03:50:29 AM »
Noice!

Whats going on with the buttplate....  did they reuse the tabbed plate on the laminate stock?

I noticed that too, but wondered if it was an Albanian based on where I saw light coming through...which seems WAY weird.

Was this the typical method of altering for spikes on the bayo channel? I could swear years ago I saw a much nicer hardwood example of woodworking with a dual cut that looked quite nice. I imagine gouging in laminate might be tricky,  but this one seems a little, hurried or at least ill equipped. It makes my discussion about these seem quite ill informed...and wonder what the heck that stock was actually for.

Super clean though, amazing it came up, set aside for so many years unused since import.  thumb1

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2019, 07:09:39 AM »
Noice!

Thanks!

It’s the correct-for-the-stock “flat” buttplate without a tab. The trap door is a bit misaligned, so part of the edge of it is showing in the sixth picture (looks like a white line in the lighting of the photo).
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 07:15:57 AM by Phosphorus32 »

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2019, 07:24:39 AM »
Noice!

I noticed that too, but wondered if it was an Albanian based on where I saw light coming through...which seems WAY weird.

Was this the typical method of altering for spikes on the bayo channel? I could swear years ago I saw a much nicer hardwood example of woodworking with a dual cut that looked quite nice. I imagine gouging in laminate might be tricky,  but this one seems a little, hurried or at least ill equipped. It makes my discussion about these seem quite ill informed...and wonder what the heck that stock was actually for.

Super clean though, amazing it came up, set aside for so many years unused since import.  thumb1

Thanks JH.

Just a one-hole buttplate. Further info in my response to LC above.

Looks like the spike channel was likely router cut from the mag end to about the original blade cut (necessitating the patch), then they free-hand chiseled the remaining groove going forward.

Part of the fun of these online auctions is items that pop up from old estates etc. that have been in a closet or safe for 30 years or more.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2019, 12:22:41 PM »
Noice!

Thanks!

It’s the correct-for-the-stock “flat” buttplate without a tab. The trap door is a bit misaligned, so part of the edge of it is showing in the sixth picture (looks like a white line in the lighting of the photo).

Ah.....   fix it!

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2019, 01:37:29 PM »
+20! Tapco that badboy!!

Why don't I see optics rubber banded in place on that thing?!  Maybe a rattle can olive drab paint job?  dance2

Online Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2019, 02:08:46 PM »
+20! Tapco that badboy!!

Why don't I see optics rubber banded in place on that thing?!  Maybe a rattle can olive drab paint job?  dance2

Wow...... such language :o RM must have gotten all drunked up, fell in his cast iron claw foot tub and gave himself a serious popknot.. rofl2

Tell the truth P32, you didn't buy it, it was left there when your garage door was open by a sasquatch wearing boots.. you can still see the wet boot prints. chuckles1
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2019, 05:03:15 PM »
Noice!

Thanks!

Ah.....   fix it!

Yup, did that half a day ago  thumb1

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2019, 05:09:50 PM »
+20! Tapco that badboy!!

Thanks.

A Crapco stock and an NC Star optic affixed by hose clamps and Gorilla Glue would be a major cosmetic improvement and turn it into a sniper rifle that could perform a vasectomy on a field mouse at 200m, I'm sure...but I think I'll stick with the Cosmoline-laden laminate stock and irons  :)

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2019, 05:10:36 PM »
vasectomy on a field mouse

:o

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2019, 05:13:42 PM »
Tell the truth P32, you didn't buy it, it was left there when your garage door was open by a sasquatch wearing boots.. you can still see the wet boot prints. chuckles1

Interesting hypothesis, but I think Sasquatch would wear shoes larger than size 10.5. Maybe it was a bipedal coyote who works for Acme Inc.  think1

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2019, 05:16:57 PM »
vasectomy on a field mouse

:o

Gonna go all operator on those rodents, bro  8)

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2019, 05:31:11 PM »

Interesting hypothesis, but I think Sasquatch would wear shoes larger than size 10.5. Maybe it was a bipedal coyote who works for Acme Inc.  think1

Juvenile Yeti?

Online Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2019, 09:44:17 PM »
+20! Tapco that badboy!!

Thanks.

A Crapco stock and an NC Star optic affixed by hose clamps and Gorilla Glue would be a major cosmetic improvement and turn it into a sniper rifle that could perform a vasectomy on a field mouse at 200m, I'm sure...but I think I'll stick with the Cosmoline-laden laminate stock and irons  :)

Your almost there.. while the glue dries, add a bipod, muzzle brake and a firing pin spring you could do a .30 cal colonoscopy on a gnat.  thumb1

And them western sasquatch got some little feets... I've seen one floating around here wearing a size 13.5 wide shoe.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem