Author Topic: 296xxx serial number ghost ?  (Read 3616 times)

Offline brentb636

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
296xxx serial number ghost ?
« on: October 12, 2015, 11:55:48 AM »
The "other" board has a new post about a supposed Vietnam bringback.   The s/n given is 296xxx, but it's a new member there, and no pics yet.  I've asked for pics, so we'll see what happens.  Might be interesting, might not .  :)
I like guns

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
Re: 296xxx serial number ghost ?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 01:24:46 PM »
That serial is well into the 6digi 26 marked guns....  Surely its not a ghost.

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 02:05:48 PM »
Could be a scrubbed gun also.....  Really need pics of literally everything.

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline bbush44

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 02:44:21 PM »
I'd say scrubbed, but need more pictures.

Here are some pictures of the rifle. It was really hard to get a good picture of the Sn on the left side. Its etched in very lightly. From the information I have gathered, Its a Type 56 ChiCom rifle found in a depot in Vietnam. Its a sanitized rifle and the matching stock was pretty rotted so it was replaced with a Norinco stock. Correct me if I'm wrong on anything.   I can tell you that the only spots with serial numbers are the left of receiver, trigger guard, bolt and bolt carrier and the magazine casing. No other stampings or proof marks ANYWHERE on the rifle. The sights are unmarked as is the receiver cover. So I'm lost with exactly what it is.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 02:55:47 PM »
Crazy scrubbed.  Look how rounded the rear of receiver it.   :o

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 03:00:13 PM »
Blue over pitting also...

Offline brentb636

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2015, 03:36:45 PM »
With all the stuff in the pics, there is NO common element that I can see with a "ghost", other than the rear sight. :)  Couldn't say it's not a bringback, just about anything from that timeframe COULD be a bringback.  Doubt that it's worth pursuing.  :)

I like guns

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2015, 03:50:08 PM »
With all the stuff in the pics, there is NO common element that I can see with a "ghost", other than the rear sight. :)  Couldn't say it's not a bringback, just about anything from that timeframe COULD be a bringback.  Doubt that it's worth pursuing.  :)

He also could be overlooking an import mark.  They can be very tiny, and even an early century mark was on the cover... And it dont look like the cover matches. 

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2015, 04:51:42 PM »
I dont think that's a ghost either.

Also, no import marks could also mean they are just looking on the receiver, and miswing the tiny import mark under the barrel that some guns have that often is overlooked.