Author Topic: PH2623 Russian 1949 Tula  (Read 632 times)

Online theSKSguy45

• I huff cosmoline recreationally
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
PH2623 Russian 1949 Tula
« on: September 23, 2023, 02:56:43 AM »
Hello me again, I bought another 1949 SKS and wanted to share it with you all. This one is the same one I mentioned in my last post (the one at a gunshow that I didn’t buy), well I bought it for $900 CAD (knowing the stock had been messed with). The rifle has all metal parts matching (with maybe the exception of the mag) but the stock has been re stamped.

Looking closely at it it looks like the exact same stamp that was used on the other rifle I had (I kept the stock to prevent it being misused). You can see the same dark spot from where they stopped sanding. I took some measurements and the Tula star stamp is larger than any other genuine one I have and it has what I would describe as a shallow wide stamp compared to the narrow deep cartouche of an original. If you look really closely you can see the old star and date still hiding below the surface and I’m guessing the part they ground down was the X’d out old SN.

It’s really too bad because it would have been an excellent rifle if not for that small imperfection. I asked the seller where he bought it from and he said Trade EX Canada (now out of business). Now this is just speculation but I’m guessing whoever was selling these to Canadian retailers (maybe west rifle idk if they were only a retailer or also an importer) was responsible for these falsified markings. That would be consistent with the mag pins being largely the frankenpinned style. Idk maybe someone with more experience with west rifle examples can chime in here.

Regardless as long as the metal is original I’m happy for the time being. If anyone would like more photos I’d be happy to accommodate your request.

Thanks again

Paint from the mag peeling off

My bank account is in a permanent state of emergency thanks to this site

Offline jstin2

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
Re: PH2623 Russian 1949 Tula
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2023, 08:33:59 AM »
A fellow collector a few years back mentioned that Westrifle had several(around 10) 49's for sale and by the time he got around to purchase, they were all sold. When he inquired about the rifles, he was told that they were sold to another dealer. So, your rifle is more than likely an original Westrifle sell and stock modification. The good part is that it has the proper stock(although humped) for a 49 with a spike bayonet.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2023, 11:47:25 AM by jstin2 »

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2023, 10:42:36 AM »
It's a shame that they sanded, refinished, and restamped that stock.   To me the gun would have been much more desirable had it not been humped, those crossbolt tips make me want to cry a little bit. cry1

Metal does look good like you mention.  I think you did very well at $900CAD, 49's simply don't turn up all that often.

Does the op rod have flats on it?  Does the magazine have the rivet?  I think it should have one as I have records of PH302 (Canada) & PH2774 (Russia).  2774 has a definite rivet.  302 doesn't show that portion of the magazine.  It does have a massively ugly frankenpin weld on it that has been reblued.

Online theSKSguy45

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2023, 01:22:36 PM »
Agreed it’s a travesty. The OP rod is perfectly cylindrical and the mag has a rivet. So amoung 1949’s it’s not too special it seems. But at least it is MOSTLY unmolested. Because the stock is already humped I’ve tossed the idea of refinishing it to look more period correct (the finish on this one was done terribly) thoughts? Is this sac religious?

Offline jstin2

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2023, 02:10:49 PM »
Any 49 is special, so don't fool yourself. If the stock finish was original, I would say - Leave it alone, but it has already been refinished. So I can't see why it would hurt to refinish it the way you want and look more original.

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2023, 04:07:43 PM »
So amoung 1949’s it’s not too special it seems.

It's one more '49 than I have  :P 

It doesn't have the *really* early features, but so what?  Outside these boards, most people don't even know they exist.  I don't think anyone can look down on that one at all knowing you got it for $668 USD equivalent. 

The spike stock itself is a tough if not impossible to find component.  If you do decide to work on it, I would try to do so as lightly as possible.  Honestly, a simple swap of the crossbolt to something less ahem, unmolested, would do wonders in my book!  thumb1

The 'new' original cartouche and the poorly located and somewhat off kilter S/N; there's not much you can really do about those I don't think except take them all the way off...which 10 different people will have 10 different opinions about :))  I personally would leave it as-is.

Offline jstin2

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2023, 07:04:47 PM »
I agree with running-man, in the fact that if you are going to refinish- do it lightly. Also as far as the cross bolt, they are easy to remove. So take it out, clean it up, and then apply gun blue. No more shiny metal. Or you can take the one out of your modified blade-spike stock. Just make sure that they are the same as some have been modified. I am not sure if there is a difference in the cross bolt on a blade stock compared to a spike stock.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2023, 07:13:19 PM by jstin2 »

Online theSKSguy45

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2023, 07:34:18 PM »
Oh absolutely I’d swap the cross bolt (and the rest of the hardware because none of it was removed and it shows). I’m thinking I’ll leave it for now but after I finish my current stock project (an atrocious refinish, wish I had photos) I’ll revisit the idea. Maybe I’ll find an unmolested one one day.

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2023, 11:04:41 AM »
Heckuva price for any ‘49. You did well despite its flaws.

I don’t think anyone knows the formula for Soviet VK1 lacquer (wish someone had a MALDI-TOF-MS/MS we could use), so a few light coats of good garnet flake shellac in ethanol with light #0 steel wool buffing (especially at the end) to knock down the gloss would be my suggestion.

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2023, 11:08:54 AM »
P.S. Can you take a side shot (90 degree) of the head of the gas piston, and the other side of the bolt?

Offline jstin2

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2023, 05:10:05 PM »
In Canada, buyers are not too concerned if the magazine is frankenpinned (Westrifle)as long as it matches S/N's, except that it looks crappy. I have often thought about grinding it down. Dremel and sand paper. Just have to be careful not to overdue it.

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2023, 06:28:21 PM »
If I had a frankenpinned magazine and I thought that my outcome would be somewhat close to that second photo, I'd probably do it in a heartbeat!  :))

Something about that weld blob just rots the hell out of me.  It's honestly the absolute worst way anyone could pin an SKS magazine...

Online theSKSguy45

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2023, 09:14:21 PM »

Not sure what you are looking for on the gas block but here you go. The bolt and carrier are matching no 7. The mag paint literal peels off with my fingernail but it’s completely in the white underneath. I’m tempted to cold blue it to make it less obvious but for now at least I’ll leave it. If I do then I’d definitely at least try to minimize the obviousness of the pin but it has some gaps that outside of welding shut (a skill I don’t possess) I’d be only 90% the way there. I have been thinking of learning so perhaps it’s a good excuse.

free thumbs up picture

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • SQUIRREL!!! Camp Lejuene Water Survivor.
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2023, 11:34:55 AM »
You'll find that welding something that thin takes a better skill set than basic welding.  If you're going to study welding for that, you should take a supplemental course in auto body welding and practice a lot.
For time and economy, I'd take it to a professional TBH. wink1. BTW, nice firearm  thumb1.