Author Topic: Looking for a Rommy stock and bayonet for my 1958 mostly matching Romanian  (Read 21371 times)

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
Re: Looking for a Rommy stock and bayonet for my 1958 mostly matching Romanian
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2017, 08:26:15 AM »
That actually looks pretty darn nice!  Was that one of the high grade ones or the lower?  I was kind of curious just how different the two would be. I think you did pretty well. 

Myself I wouldn't even consider refinishing until you find a handguard. It is often difficult enough to get them in the ball park of matching, you might as well do both at the same time to achieve closer results...although I probably would leave this one alone...it has the look. I could seen even throwing on a cheese grater handguard on until the right wood turns up.

Also, bayonets are not serialed...so you have that going for you once you find one. :)

Offline likemeasks

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2017, 09:03:09 AM »
This was a grade 1, Dave was very helpful in selecting what I wanted. He was in no rush to get it out the door and took all the time to describe what he had and gave very accurate descriptions of what he would send. Seems his basic MO is if a stock does not have any cracks or missing hunks of wood it is a 1, all else is a 2. He was upfront on the surface and finish and took the time to describe every #1 he had that fit my general requirements. He openly stated he did not know the source country of the stocks and that he had been told by previous customers that they were likely Romanian. I got the impression that he would send a pic if I had asked, but I didn't want to risk loosing this one.
Thanks for the advise on waiting for the hand guard wood. That is what I planned, but it is nice to know you guys are that willing to share and help. The only bayonet I've found so far was at a gun show and it was a Chinese knock off. An oval with "MADE IN CHINA" was cast into it near the shank. Almost went for it but that plus it looked like the blade was a cheep casting, I'd rather do without than to use a knock off.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2017, 09:59:37 AM »
I may have a romanian handguard....  But I wanna see pics.   :))

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline likemeasks

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2017, 12:58:42 PM »
?? What pics would you want? On page 1 of this topic I posted Pics of the stock I bought from Clearview. That post was done last night 12/30/17@ about 11:41 PM.  Pics include the metal installed in the stock as well as multiple areas of the stock to help determine if it is a Romanian or other wise. The last 2 (close up of serial number and the swivel) give a really good representation of the color of the stock. Phosphorus 32 posted he believes it is indeed a Romanian. Tonight I will attempt pics of the metal w/close ups of the condition and stampings. I don't have a high end digital camera so I'll get the best the macro function on my cheapy will allow. If there is something special you would like to see, either post or PM a request and I'll do my best to include it.

Charlie
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 01:05:45 PM by likemeasks »

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2017, 08:31:56 PM »
Oops....   I missed the pics at the end of page 1.   :o     Sorry.

Ill try and get you a pic of the HG, its ugly and cracked..... you can make the call if you want it for the cost of shipping.

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline likemeasks

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2017, 11:04:20 PM »
No problem LC I've been known to miss a whole damn thread at times. So that's what my wood looks like and here is the best shots I can get of the steel.

So there Rommy is in all its glory. We'll see what that Hand Guard looks like and go from there.

Charlie

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2018, 04:47:25 PM »
Here you go...  Looks like its been sanded and refinished because the 'lips' on the ends are shallow.  Also looks like the crack was repaired or strengthened in Romania.  They made two thin cuts and glued in some thin slivers to reinforce it.

Dunno if its worth it to you or not.

Offline likemeasks

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2018, 10:32:46 PM »
Happy New Years to you and yours. Also the same to all on the forum. LC, thank you for your kind offer. I know it seems like I'm "looking a gift horse in the mouth" but I'm worried that the crack extends the full length of that guard. I'll have to pass it up. I do plan to restore the wood on this rifle and I'm concerned that guard will split during the process.

Charlie

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2018, 12:33:09 AM »
No problemo.   thumb1

Offline likemeasks

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2018, 03:29:39 PM »
A question to all you guys: anybody have data on the possible stains and finish that was used on the wood by Romania? I see most say the wood is beech and mine does look like it. A while back I had a Yugo that had been soaked in cosmo so heavily the wood was red. After I sweated the cosmo out and cleaned the wood it was a beautiful blonde with nice darker steaks. A finished with 2 coats of true oil and it had a nice honey color on the light grain and those dark grains really popped. Too bad the barrel had been twisted when the dummies in Cali. took the grenade tube off with a pipe wrench without first removing the roll pin. Best it would shoot was 3 inches right with the sights set absolute left. Once I have wood for the hand guard I want to refinish with the same system used by Romania.

Charlie

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2018, 04:56:08 PM »
Yugos aren't supposed to have any finish on them.   :o

Get some garnet shellac flakes for the Romanian and mix it with denatured alcohol.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2018, 09:50:06 AM »

After I sweated the cosmo out and cleaned the wood it was a beautiful blonde with nice darker steaks. A finished with 2 coats of true oil and it had a nice honey color on the light grain and those dark grains really popped. Too bad the barrel had been twisted when the dummies in Cali. took the grenade tube off with a pipe wrench without first removing the roll pin. Best it would shoot was 3 inches right with the sights set absolute left.

That's a regular Greek tragedy right there.  Hate that for you Charlie!  cry1

Here's a few examples of nice original Romy stocks if you wanted to try and match what's there.  Like LC says, garnet shellac certainly would look the part.  thumb1

Offline likemeasks

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2018, 04:26:02 PM »
The recent freezes down here have had me quite busy and I'm just now looking at the form. Once I can find the wood for the hand guard I hoping everything cleans up to somewhat like the stocks in picture 1 or 4 above. Then a nice coat or two of shellac and I'l be grinning ear to ear.
I know Yugos don't have a "finish" on them but this one was so caked with cosmo that you had to wash your hands in mineral spirits and then in soap and water after you picked it up just to look at it. Once I "leached" all the cosmo out the grain cried for a clear protective finish.

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2018, 09:49:00 AM »
I found this handguard, with a 2 stamped into the top of it for some reason, I don't know of any country that does this...but it looks dark like your stock. Could it be Romanian?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SKS-RIFLE-FOREARM-TOP-WOOD-PIECE-IN-GOOD-USED-CONDITION-HAS-2-STAMPED-ON-IT/122882213274?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2018, 10:31:40 AM »
Its birch....  Russian

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2018, 10:44:34 AM »
Any idea about the 2 stamped on it?

Offline likemeasks

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2018, 11:01:17 AM »
Interesting to say the least. Don't know about the 2 but my rifle has 2 stamped in various places. The left side of the barrel nut, right side of the rear sight base and the trigger guard tab near where the retainer locks the housing into the receiver body. My guess is an inspector's mark. Are you buying this unit? I don't have any dealings with ebay but it might be a good time to start.

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2018, 11:19:20 AM »
I found it, marked it to watch and bring up for discussion here...and forgot about it. Several relistings later, it is still there. Pretty good price if you want to take a chance on it matching....anything is better than a plain jane plastic ATI right? :)

Having zero Romanian experience, I thought perhaps the 2 was something they might have done. The only other stamped handguards I have seen are on exDDRs....which I barely dare say around these parts.  rofl

Those had horizontal stampings on the side though...

If your stock already has 2s on it...why not give it a shot.  I haven't purchased from this seller, but their feedback is stellar considering how many sales they have had.

Offline likemeasks

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2018, 12:29:12 PM »
OK, I just wanted to make sure you weren't going for it. Didn't want to be biting the hand that helps so to speak. I'll create an account with ebay and hopefully nobody has scarfed it up before I can get it. Thanks for the lead. You've been a great help on this project.

Charlie