Author Topic: What SKS model are these? From Algeria...  (Read 676 times)

Offline High Noon

• Watching the clock.
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
What SKS model are these? From Algeria...
« on: June 10, 2023, 03:34:31 PM »
I look at defense news sites all the time and came across this picture. 

What SKS type are these? They appear to have a spike bayonet, so are they Chinese?  Not a real HD picture.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
Re: What SKS model are these? From Algeria...
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2023, 04:12:38 PM »
By the look of the wood grain on the stocks I'd say Chinese. Plus, they have spike bayonets so that's another point for Chinese.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline High Noon

• Watching the clock.
  • Marksman
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2023, 04:18:34 PM »
By the look of the wood grain on the stocks I'd say Chinese. Plus, they have spike bayonets so that's another point for Chinese.

Okay - that's what I was thinking but wasn't sure.  Still amazes me how many SKSs are still around in the world.  Maybe most are in second tier or reserve roles now, but they are still out there, being used in some way.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2023, 07:31:42 PM »
Given how quickly behind the SKS AKs were developed, they have pretty much always been a second tier weapon and used immensely in sales to warlords, 'freedom fighters', and third world nations where both Russia and China were trying to build influence.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2023, 08:09:20 PM »
Yup, definitely Type 56 carbines. The USSR and PRC both provided economic assistance to Algeria during the Cold War. It could even be recent aid since China continues to sew influence in Africa, the Middle East and SE to Central Asia.

Cool pictures, thanks for sharing.

Offline High Noon

• Watching the clock.
  • Marksman
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2023, 08:35:51 PM »
Yup, definitely Type 56 carbines. The USSR and PRC both provided economic assistance to Algeria during the Cold War. It could even be recent aid since China continues to sew influence in Africa, the Middle East and SE to Central Asia.

Found another one.......

Offline High Noon

• Watching the clock.
  • Marksman
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2023, 08:40:15 PM »

The Russians sold at bargain prices, or just gave away, so many MiG-21s in exchange for influence, that we now know it as "MiG Diplomacy".  I'm sure the SKS and AKs were handled the same way...  thumb1

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2023, 09:54:33 PM »

Found another one.......

Nice! Good to see Simonov's carbine still out there  thumb1

Offline Matchka

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2023, 07:22:59 AM »
The J3 Cub of semi-auto carbines!!!

Offline echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2023, 12:54:45 PM »
Very cool pic. The last guy's rifle looks like he has a dog collar set up on his sling. PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798