Author Topic: Good fortune today  (Read 4730 times)

Offline echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
Good fortune today
« on: February 21, 2017, 10:43:50 PM »
Hi Fellas,

I just came back from my weekly LGS junk bin scrounging. I found some pretty cool stuff including some Chinese ammo in a tin. Opens with a key (that's gone missing), only has remnants of the OD paint, and looks like these pictured here.

http://www.dave-cushman.net/shot/762x39_cartridge.html

The tag listed it as "NORINCO 550 ct. on strippers". Amongst the other identifying info, which is stamped not inked, the bottom number says "550", which I presume is the quantity. Made in '85. I'm pretty sure this is the much sought after steel core stuff. I'm not going to open it to find out.

I also scored on 4 slings, a dark green Chinese SKS, a Mosin 91/30 with both dog collars, another unidentified webbed milsurp with a single flat clip hasp (looks like one on my FN49), and a leather Romanian SKS sling. PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
Re: Good fortune today
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 09:15:27 AM »
Nice haul Pax!  What's surplus ammo run for these days in Kali? Here in NM it's ridiculously scarce unless you find a pawn shop that got a bunch in and just wants to move it; so much so that you're usually going to get a better price getting steel cased imports from the web. 

Offline echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 11:10:47 AM »
Nice haul Pax!  What's surplus ammo run for these days in Kali? Here in NM it's ridiculously scarce unless you find a pawn shop that got a bunch in and just wants to move it; so much so that you're usually going to get a better price getting steel cased imports from the web.

It's more expensive than can be found online, when you can find it, but many LGS usually have a couple tins of X39 at 30-35 cents in bulk. I was lucky to find this stuff, as technically it's illegal for an 01 to sell steel core. I don't think he knew what he had, because it was priced like commercial FMJ, 200 bucks. It looked like he had just picked up somebody's collection of stuff, he had 2 bins of "new treasures", where as he usually only has a little box of holsters, belts, ammo pouches. He must not be C&R savvy, the Romy sling is worth some bank. The 4 slings were 50 bucks. He commercially reloads match grade ammo for handguns in 100 round bags. Good prices.

All the other calibers, Swiss, 8mm, etc. aren't around, unless like you said, you just happen across it, I get what I find only if the price is good. A while back I found Yugo 8mm in an ammo can (originally 1K in an aluminum bag), that the seller split up 3 ways, 250, 250, 500 at 3 prices. I got 500 for $250. PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 11:16:12 AM »
Nice haul!  I've never even seen Chinese 7.62x39 in a tin but I did get a deal on about 800 rds in clean 20 rd boxes about 1.5 years ago

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 01:02:25 PM »
I had a nice little score Monday... 2 sealed tins of Romanian 8mm, for 250 bucks.  Good stuff, smells like dirty socks when fired rofl2

Shop owner.....Get this tainted corrosive sh*t outta my shop.

Me... I only got 250 bucks, take it or leave it, lays crumpled green paper on the counter as offering.

Shop owner.. Swipes crumpled green paper, unfolding it saying, Sold, take'em.

Me... :o think1 banana time banana time  thumb1 Followed by, snatching both tins, and runs towards the tree line.

I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 02:48:51 PM »
Yum, Romanian light ball Mauser drool2  It wasn't long ago that it was plentiful and cheap...but not anymore cry2  ...and it wasn't as cheap as you stole this stuff for  thumb1