Author Topic: Yugo gas tube  (Read 11867 times)

Offline SmittySKS

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
Re: Yugo gas tube
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2016, 12:48:12 AM »
All I can say is thanks to You tube I knew about that spring. But I do like the idea of giving the chamber a good cleaning. I'm off to the range tomorrow to see if what I've done with the Tapco GT helped. If not I'll do the chamber cleaning and wait for the new GT to get here. I hope the new Paratrooper works well.

Offline SmittySKS

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Newber
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2016, 10:57:46 PM »
Range time went well. Ran 40 rds or so thru the yugo with only a few stove pipes. But the 1st one kinda worried me. The bolt was really jammed forward. I dumped the remaining rounds and that seemed to help clear it. Maybe a round was trying to feed at the same time and wedged the bolt?
 Anyway I have a different problem. I can not see the rear sight slot at all with my old eyes. I have to estimate the center of the rear sight and pop the front sight up just enough to get some sort of sight picture. So to all you purist I'm sorry but I have to put a red dot on both rifles if I'm gonna shoot them at all. Have the same problem with my ARs but they're much easier to pop a red dot on. I have the See Thru Scout Scope Mount that I haven't installed yet for the yugo mainly because I haven't decided on a red dot yet and I didn't know whether or not I could get it to cycle.  Now that it does, the search starts. Black Friday's coming! LOL
 I can't wait till the new GT comes in so I can get the Tapco off. Looks dumb.
 Oh. The Paratrooper shot flawlessly!  :)

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2016, 11:01:01 PM »
Sounds like the chamber full of melted steel casing coating.  20ga brush on a drill from rear of receiver time....

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline SmittySKS

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Newber
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2016, 11:05:02 PM »
Sounds like the chamber full of melted steel casing coating.  20ga brush on a drill from rear of receiver time....

Did that today while cleaning after the range. It did kinda look grey in there.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2016, 07:45:02 AM »
Stuff is like glue and makes for difficult extractions.  Especially after it warms up.

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline SmittySKS

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Newber
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2016, 03:40:02 PM »
GT update!
Received the Yugo new old stock GT and installed it yesterday. This I will tell you... I now know why the old tubes leak after awhile around the valve. The new tube is so tight around the valve you need to gently wiggle it back and forth to get it off. If you just release the tube and try to lift it up, you'll most likely flair the end of the tube over time.
 The new tube just needed to be ever so slightly filed to fit the hold down clamp ramp. The other thing is it didn't come drilled for that nasty little pin. I didn't really see a reason to drill it. Where's it gonna go once locked down?
 Any way I'm going to the range again Wednesday so I'll let you all know how it worked out.     

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2016, 06:42:25 PM »
Where you get the tube?

Offline SmittySKS

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Newber
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2016, 07:23:45 PM »
I kept going back to ebay. This guy had one and had a good rating so I took a chance.
http://www.ebay.com/usr/kifla_ns

Offline SmittySKS

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Newber
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2016, 12:34:02 PM »
Range report!
 Cycled great! Except that twice (1st two full clips and non after) the last round didn't feed. The nose of the round was up against the outside of the bore. The bolt was open just not sure if it was locked open. Just pulling the bolt back the round fed. I didn't think to look at the whys. I think the bolt was up against the back of the round but it hadn't fully cleared the mag so was jammed against the face of the bore. I tried to reproduce it back home. Every round cycled by hand.
 Any ideas?

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2016, 01:01:32 PM »
First thing I'd check is to make sure the mag follower is free to pivot both forward and back.  Sometimes when the pivot pin gets stiff with gunk and the follower can't pivot freely the last round can be held at a bad angle and the last round feed off the mag lips into the chamber doesn't go off smoothly.  A stuck follower could also theoretically cause the bolt hold open tab to sit proud just a little bit on the last round and that might interfere with the last round loading as well.

If it's not something that easy, the next step is probably going to be to take a closer look at the mag, especially the feed lips to see if something is bent, out of line of if there's a weak spring.

Offline SmittySKS

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Newber
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2016, 10:29:18 PM »
I'll take it out tomorrow and check it against my Paratroopers mag.  Maybe swap them out for the next trip to the range
 Thanks!