Author Topic: Yugo SKS.. Why a NATO Spec Grenade Launcher?  (Read 10326 times)

Offline SubCaliber

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
Yugo SKS.. Why a NATO Spec Grenade Launcher?
« on: October 05, 2016, 10:01:11 AM »
I've often wondered but never seen an answer.  Does anyone have any idea why the Yugoslavians put a NATO spec grenade launcher on the end of the 59/66?  Weren't they a Soviet Bloc nation at the time?

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
Re: Yugo SKS.. Why a NATO Spec Grenade Launcher?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 01:17:12 PM »
Great question.... but, Yugoslavia had a previous falling out with the Soviet Union, more or less had separated from the Soviets in 1948. While Russia had some influence, it was not near as strong as other communist nations. Yugoslavia could have possibly been looking at buying future ammunition supplies from the Western nations as a total snub to Russia.
Yugoslavia had their own ammo production as well as other capabilities the other communist nations didn't. Also with the NATO launcher, there are other differences in arms, Yugoslavia loved Mausers, Russia had the Mosin. While Yugoslavia was communist, they were not part of the Pact, the Warsaw Pact included: Russia, East Germany, Poland, Romania, Hungary, Bulgaria, Czechoslovakia and in the beginning, Albania. I also think there is a NATO launcher for Polish and Hungarian AKs.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 07:00:36 PM »
What about the Romanian Grenade Launcher?   😉

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 10:44:37 PM »
What about the Romanian Grenade Launcher?   😉

An FN49 GL?

http://www.ima-usa.com/original-belgian-fn-49-safn-grenade-launcher-compatible-with-sks.html

French for meters is mètres, and Romanian is metri.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 11:30:28 PM by Phosphorus32 »

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 06:36:31 AM »
I dont think so...  I once thought maybe.  But the muzzle on an FN is completely dif.   Pretty sure M08 actually tried it on several FN versions..... Not even close.

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline padams8888

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Marksman
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2016, 04:51:21 PM »
I believe I used to have one of the training grenades for that Romanian style.....quite a bit smaller in diameter for the launch bore.....looked like a little missile. I could be confusing it with the Polish though......

Offline SubCaliber

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2016, 11:55:42 AM »
Thanks for the info.  It's always seemed a little weird to me.  :)

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2016, 02:37:10 PM »
Ok...lets beat this 5 or so year old dead horse a little more :)   GM's fav-o-rite game......what if? :o

Now, lets say for gets and shiggles, they got the rifle correct, say it "was" designed for an SKS. Ok, I'll be nice...I'll play ball in this court  think1

But, now ... let look at another querk.. Romania is claimed to be the user.   Ummmkay.  :)

Why couldn't Yugoslavia been the user... the non-aligned, non-Warsaw pact nation, why would Romania a Warsaw pact nation use a Nato launcher....... Who/what nation had gotten a fascination with spigot launchers, where almost every model AK had a launcher as well. Yugoslavia also had relations, even an embassy(Romania don't) with uhm..Belgium, who also incidentally manufactured the Energa system made by MECAR. Tito was one of the few Eastern European leaders able to stand up to Russia, I think he was trying slowly to pull out of the harsh communism with some early relations with the rest of the NATO nations, even the US. Would Mother Russia even allow Romania who was under Russian control to even use a NATO launcher without some kind of repercussions? Russia went nuts when the Czechs changed to 7.62x45 ammo...it goes against their logistical weapons supply, which is why they were forced back to x39. 

Who also developed and shoved a 22mm NATO sized launcher, like France, the UK, Spain and the US on their M59/66. Is it so far fetched, they wouldn’t have tried these launchers on the M59, which lead to the M59/66 development after finding out all the weaknesses in the carbine for launching? Or did Yugoslavia hope by the graces of the war gods that simply copying the CETME, FNFAL and Mas 49/56 would suffice. They had to start somewhere, it wasn't let do this and hope it works, something drove that design, because it worked well enough to make them for 20+ years.

We see Romania as the listed "user", but how many Romanian SKSs have "new" stocks after refurb, usually they don't, they are just mismatched around though vs. how many Yugoslavian M59s have nicey new fresh stocks? Now, launching grenades whoops a stock due to the recoil, M1 Carbines suffered this, Garands as well, so why did Yugoslavia replace so many stocks, were they just dirty, ugly, scratched and beat to death, or did launching cause damage that over time required replacement with new stocks. Once the M59/66 was developed the M59 kind of fell to the curb, the M59/66 was an all in one package then, designed to fire grenades, with sights, night sights, a spigot, beefed up stock and a new development, and a gas shut off, just like a lot of other NATO sized launching weapons, you have options, choices, a blank fire grenade or a bullet trap grenade..

Again Romania  ::) ......and look who it borders, Serbia, guess that little launcher couldn't grow fairy wings by any chance find it's way across a border now could it and instantly become Romanian..I bet a jelly doughnut if one looks hard enough, in every nook and cranny, their might be one in Bulgaria as well, maybe even scrounge one up in Hungary. thumb1

Again, it's a thought.. maybe some are in the right church, just have the wrong pew.. Just another big unsubstantiated "what if" thumb1 :)

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2016, 03:03:55 PM »
Exactly..   you know I only posted "Romanian" to suck you into the conversation.   chuckles1

Here is a catch....  it absolutely will NOT fit a Yugo M59.   :o

So, what country may have been equipped with sks rifles that turned nato friendly? 

Ill give ya a hint...

« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 03:08:11 PM by Loose}{Cannon »

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2016, 03:12:33 PM »
It might.... no one has seen a serial 102 or so through 13000 or so.. that whole serial block is missing...but again, what if :)  rofl2

Those zanny Yugos.. fart1

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2016, 03:23:16 PM »
It also will NOT even come close to fitting the Long Barrel M59 serials 1 through 100. So I HIGHLY doubt they were made for a very small, limited, and specific serial group of 13k Yugos that were likely not any smaller at the mounting location. All yugos are just.... bigger.   nea1

Interestingly enough, it fits the Romanian with some play. It actually kinks sideways a bit when you tighten it down making it not perpendicular with the bore. It DOES however fit perfect, and I mean PERFECT, on every single one of my spike bayo Chinese /26\ guns. 

Just happens to be what Bangladesh had many many of after the Bang/Pak split.   :)

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2016, 03:28:52 PM »
After Pakistan decided to attack an airbase or two in India (smack in middle of east/west Pakistan).... nato got involved, India kicked west Pakistans ass, and east Pakistan became Bangladesh which was then taken under Natos wing of protection.   thumb1

Only circumstance I know of where a nation would be Nato supported after having vast amounts of Chinese sks rifles prior.

So if you ask me what nation is a "major non nato ally" having many sks with a need for said nato country supplied GLs....  I say Bangladesh.   thumb1
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 03:33:34 PM by Loose}{Cannon »

Offline montigre

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2016, 03:53:57 PM »
Very good discussion.  So I query the crowd to mash things up a little, if it is Bangladesh that has these odd grenade launchers on their Chinese-supplied SKSs, do their receivers also sport the ambigious "DB" stamp?
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."  ~Benjamin Franklin

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2016, 03:57:30 PM »
Very good discussion.  So I query the crowd to mash things up a little, if it is Bangladesh that has these odd grenade launchers on their Chinese-supplied SKSs, do their receivers also sport the ambigious "DB" stamp?

No clue...  I know that Pakistan was supplied Chinese sks before the split and they are clearly seen as Chinese rifles in hundreds of pictures, but I have not seen any clear shots of the receiver markings.  Likely never will !!

I did however run across some chinamen on chinaweb once stating the DB and DP were some type of police marking. Im guessing similar to the PS guns.  I can see that because of the city characters also stamped on them.  Reminds me of the Rising guns issued to police in the US.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 04:01:37 PM by Loose}{Cannon »

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2016, 12:14:09 AM »
Funny...I was just going to look up this thread.

Look what I found a Chinese eBay seller offering....

Chinese grenade launcher sights...  :o

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TWO-Chinese-T-56-7-62mm-SKS-Sights-/131950012492?hash=item1eb8d5684c:g:hxoAAOSwTA9X3~nm

I still am trying to wrap my head around how they would work...as they are FUNKY looking. It being a Chinese seller lends a little towards it being what he says it is...maybe. They also have some strange T-54 'parts' that I am bewildered by....thoughts?

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2016, 12:24:30 AM »
http://chinesesks.weebly.com/grenade-launcher.html

Pointless to have the sights and no launcher yet alone TWO sights.... And no launcher.   dash2

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2016, 12:30:08 AM »
T54 machinegun parts.  Guy is crazy

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2016, 12:39:45 AM »
http://chinesesks.weebly.com/grenade-launcher.html

Pointless to have the sights and no launcher yet alone TWO sights.... And no launcher.   dash2

Why is it that I am always missing something over there?!

The second sight could be trade bait for the launcher....or the recoil pad....if you could ever find them.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2016, 12:42:56 AM »
Recoil pad...  You have good eyes Danial son..

Im asking the seller if he can get the launcher.  Likely risky business paying big coin for something I'm nit sure is legal to mail here?

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2016, 01:41:36 AM »
I don't think the ATF guys even know about them...customs would probably think it was a tie rod for a Honda.  chuckles1

It would be neat to see a fully assembled SKS with the correct recoil pad.

Another thing to consider, did you look closely at that RSB? It isn't normal, and it appears to be machined that way...maybe? I would like to know if that example came with the launcher accessories, or if it was later modified to accept them. I sure would like a closer look at both sides of the RSB, and I am also curious if anything was either made differently or modified at the launcher end as well.