Author Topic: Zastava Nirvana  (Read 13592 times)

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
Re: Zastava Nirvana
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2016, 02:41:34 PM »
The 15 1/2 and 17 inch both fit, it's just there for looks anyway, nobody would know the difference and nobody uses them anyways, except if one were to just whip it out..  :o :)
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2016, 02:48:20 PM »
Me thinks Carl has a length issue.

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2016, 02:49:59 PM »
iirc...  the 59/66 is the one that takes the shorter rod because the GL bs pushed it back some.

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2016, 02:53:24 PM »
Me thinks Carl has a length issue.

Naw, I got a selection of lengths, shortie ones, fat ones with girth and a real real skinny one, all the way to real, real long ones, pick the correct tool for the job  thumb1

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2016, 02:57:58 PM »
Everything I see elsewhere says M59/66 is 15 1/2 inches, all other standard SKSs are 17 inch, or 17 and a little change... only other I see drastically different is a Paratrooper at 13 inch.

Offline montigre

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Rifleman
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2016, 03:08:08 PM »
Oh, this is becoming too funny...one would think at least the rods would have some form of uniformity...LOL!!

Anyway, when you guys finish measuring your stuff, please pass it along so that I can make some type of educated guess what I'm going to have to use.... rofl
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."  ~Benjamin Franklin

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2016, 05:29:38 AM »
Hey GM,

Is this the shade of grey that the M59 uses? It looks darker than most of my 59/66's.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Factory-Yugo-Yugoslavian-SKS-Blade-Bayonet-with-Hardware-/331897303024?hash=item4d469eeff0:g:oJIAAOSw0kNXhW-A

Thought I'd throw it out there in case it could help the OP. I know it has a pic of a bayo on a 59/66, but that pic looks more like a stock picture used for example of how they mount on the Yugo SKS. Certainly wasn't taken at the same time or place as the other pics.

Don't beat me if I'm wrong.  nailbite1

firstchoice
It kinda looks like it, but the photos are so washed out and low resolution it's difficult to tell.. The M59/66 bayonet is a dead give away, a 2 inch bloodgroove less area at the base and no barrel loop.

Wow, I know this and it still went right over my head. It would be kinda hard to use that bayo on a M59 with no barrel loop. I guess there is something to be said for sleep.  ???  :-[  Sad thing is that I own both models and still asked that question.

firstchoice

Offline Raspootyn

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Newber
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2016, 11:12:17 PM »
I'm a bit late to this email thread, however Congrats on the find! 

078 is not one of mine.   All those went to good homes and are staying as far as I know.

Easy way to tell one of the ones I found.   All were SAMCO import marked.  And were complete with bayos.
Also, tiny import mark under the barrel only.  no billboards  :-)

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2016, 11:25:30 PM »
Ah...   could have sworn this was one of yours.  I know I seen it somewhere.   

Offline montigre

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2016, 10:52:27 AM »
Update....Alas, Nirvana, Net.  The #78 SN I was informed the gun carried was actually part of the importer's log number (sigh!!) and the gun's actual SN is of the more common "C" variant... C-33613.  :(

The gun is still slathered in cosmo as I just picked it up last evening, but the wood appears to be in very good shape and is a rich dark reddish-brown with a couple of minor dings here and there and some light indentations under the bolt handle from being shipped in a crate without separators.  The hand-guard is of a slightly darker wood than the stock, marked with a now barely legible part number, and appears to be original.  However, the stock had been replaced and has the usual 1.TRZ on the right, a partially double struck SN on the left, and the only other markings I can discern through the cosmo is a very small circled "BK" (probably in Cyrillic) on the bottom just in front of the sling swivel and an empty partial circle of the same size about 1" in front of that.

The receiver and bolt carrier have been force matched with an EP during a refurb and I have not taken it apart yet to see if the barrel has been also-- The bore is in pretty good shape; some specks of cosmo, but no evidence of pitting or rust and the rifling remains well-grooved.  So, while this SKS has obviously seen some action following it's refurb, at least the barrel was well-taken care of.  The bluing is original and appears about 90% on the rest of the metal parts. 

The receiver cover has a higher serial number (624797) from a run that post dates the build window for 59s, so it may be representative of the transitional period between the end of the 59s and the start of the 59/66s.  The mag cover looks like a replacement and has just a part number and the trigger guard appears original. 

So, while this is not the collector's gem I thought it could have been, it is a true Yugo 59 LB in overall good to very good condition that can be shot without guilt while still filling a niche in my Comblock family.   :)
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."  ~Benjamin Franklin

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2016, 11:35:31 AM »
Yes it's refurbished, as the majority are, but this is only the second C block long barrel M59 known  thumb1 Pics would be great! Also, what's the barrel length by the ATF (bolt face to muzzle) method?

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2016, 02:12:14 PM »
I don't think this is a Long Barreled Yugo.  The proportions of the gas tube length vs the barrel length from gas block to front sight block look off to me (though the photo isn't abundantly clear & I've been wrong before.  :-[)  I think the lack of a bayo on it is making the barrel look longer than it really is in the first photo, when I proportion it with calipers against my screen it really looks like a std. M59:

The receiver cover has nothing to do with an M59 or anything transitional.  It's most certainly a replacement scrounged from a P block M59/66A1.  Glad to see it's in relatively decent shape though, good bores are pretty important when it comes to M59s.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2016, 02:53:53 PM »
Ah.....  welp.  That number was already on the list so I wont be taking it down.  Cant win em all I guess.   :-\

Offline montigre

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2016, 03:15:03 PM »
Oh drats, now my bubble has really been burst... :(   Going now to my corner to hide my face in shame.....:-[

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2016, 03:22:02 PM »
Oh drats, now my bubble has really been burst... :(   Going now to my corner to hide my face in shame.....:-[
Apologies for being the bearer of bad news (I could still be wrong though, measure your barrel from boltface to muzzle and end all speculation). 

No need to hide unless you dropped big $$ on it (and then I'd be getting my $$ back on a misrepresented firearm!)

Post up some photos so we can see what it is you got.  Even with the mismatched cover, you may have scored a pretty nice one depnding on how the rest looks.  thumb1

Offline montigre

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2016, 04:13:26 PM »
Did not drop big bucks, prolly within the acceptable range for the run of the mill 59; maybe a little less....

I will have to be even more careful in the future...wish I could've viewed those mysterious lists.... Still going to be kicking myself on this one.  Hope the Ruski SKS and Yugo Mauser turn out better....

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2016, 05:24:51 PM »
~20 1/2" = Standard M59.  I do like the stock now that I get to see it up close.  Buttplate should be be std. metal, not the rubber of a 59/66 like you have.

As for seeing the mysterious lists, all riflemen and above gain access to all the data boards automatically (unless someone's trying to game the system and then they get a bat1).  Give it a few months, they will magically appear one day if you're patient.

If you got that gun for ~$400, you did just fine.  thumb1

Offline montigre

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2016, 07:22:15 PM »
The original thin metal butt plate is under the extended rubber one...  Purchase price was $415.00. 

I will probably hold off on any future purchases until I reach the hallowed halls of the rifleman so as not to make a similar error.  Maybe by then a true 59 LB will become available....hehe.   It should be a good shooter none the less, meanwhile, I will work on refining my collector savvy a bit more.   8)