Author Topic: Make a Yugo 59/66 gas tube from Tapco or Chinese?  (Read 956 times)

Offline Dedeagach

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
Make a Yugo 59/66 gas tube from Tapco or Chinese?
« on: September 30, 2022, 08:34:32 PM »
I have a Yugo M59/66 that needs a gas tube and I can't find any for sale. So I was thinking about making one.

But I am unsure if it is possible to make one from a Chinese or Tapco gas tube. I imagine either flaring out the front to fit over the Yugo gas valve, or adding material (or another tube) over the tube to go over the valve. But I also don't know what the front inside of a Yugo tube looks like.

So anyway, any ideas would be appreciated.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
Re: Make a Yugo 59/66 gas tube from Tapco or Chinese?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2022, 11:46:44 PM »
Are you thinking your tube is bad or do you just not have one? The reason I ask is that most commonly it is the gas valve that goes bad and not the tube or piston if it is a gas leak that you are having issues with.
If you are thinking your tube is out of specs for the piston it may be the piston you need. There is a guy on gunbroker who's username is copperhead or copperhead29 IIRC who was making US made pistons and used to make over-sized ones for just that purpose.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline Dedeagach

• Cadet
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2022, 12:47:24 PM »
I have no tube at all.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2022, 02:19:18 PM »
An option then is to look for de-milled M59/66 kits on Gunbroker instead of just the gas tube. Use what you need then re-sell the rest. If you work it right you may even end up with a free tube.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline Dedeagach

• Cadet
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2022, 03:31:34 PM »
Well I would prefer just the one part but I guess that is an option. I did have a crazy idea of making a DI system with AR gas block but my rifle is too nice, I would rather just make it factory complete. I also wanted to make a franken SKS FAL like someone else did, but the kit would not include a complete receiver I presume.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2022, 10:33:15 AM »
That's a really good question. I have no idea if a std gas tube could be flared to fit a M59/66 gas block.  I think length would be the main driver and I'd suspect that depending on the type of tool you use to put it on there might not be enough length on a std tube to transform it and still have it fit properly.

Best bet is trying to find one on eBay or GunBroker.  They are few and far between, but they are out there.  GG's recommendation to get a kit may be your best bet, this one is quite reasonably priced actually:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/175435752013?hash=item28d8c9224d:g:x3MAAOSwAXRjOmwc&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoEqmoYvH9ghoT096lGwoktWILmKMDsdSQ%2Bm3p1E7pcfD%2FVvGyTgLcMtZypva%2F9ge7WYI39OqUgobmb29%2BnZZ2nBNd0NsOtTO%2FiPZD0s026SPifxxVGr2EQpIYAfX2F8lpObIflpVnUWu7%2Bvj3YFOA9rirlBTtatAn07NHaFZXTe%2B%2BdSgaNWILRAV8tfwZ%2Bew5eDtGULCi6HhegnER02EiMA%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR_7y3ePzYA

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2022, 11:38:37 AM »
Standard gas tubes are slightly shorter overall but will fit directly onto the gas valve. I have done that before to test for gas leaks on the valve and for worn out tubes or pistons. Any flare would have to be added on to the end and welded I think.

Offline Dedeagach

• Cadet
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2022, 02:30:41 PM »
That's a really good question. I have no idea if a std gas tube could be flared to fit a M59/66 gas block.  I think length would be the main driver and I'd suspect that depending on the type of tool you use to put it on there might not be enough length on a std tube to transform it and still have it fit properly.

Best bet is trying to find one on eBay or GunBroker.  They are few and far between, but they are out there.  GG's recommendation to get a kit may be your best bet, this one is quite reasonably priced actually:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/175435752013?hash=item28d8c9224d:g:x3MAAOSwAXRjOmwc&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoEqmoYvH9ghoT096lGwoktWILmKMDsdSQ%2Bm3p1E7pcfD%2FVvGyTgLcMtZypva%2F9ge7WYI39OqUgobmb29%2BnZZ2nBNd0NsOtTO%2FiPZD0s026SPifxxVGr2EQpIYAfX2F8lpObIflpVnUWu7%2Bvj3YFOA9rirlBTtatAn07NHaFZXTe%2B%2BdSgaNWILRAV8tfwZ%2Bew5eDtGULCi6HhegnER02EiMA%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR_7y3ePzYA
thanks for the link

Offline Dedeagach

• Cadet
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2022, 02:33:32 PM »
Standard gas tubes are slightly shorter overall but will fit directly onto the gas valve. I have done that before to test for gas leaks on the valve and for worn out tubes or pistons. Any flare would have to be added on to the end and welded I think.
I was thinking soldering something on there.
I wonder why Yugo made the flared tube? I assumed the gas valve will move when going from shutoff to semi auto. But if the piston fits in the gas tube it wouldn't matter either way.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2022, 08:44:20 PM »
I was thinking soldering something on there.
I wonder why Yugo made the flared tube? I assumed the gas valve will move when going from shutoff to semi auto. But if the piston fits in the gas tube it wouldn't matter either way.

The flare is to prevent gases from passing by the valve and into your eyes, which it would do if the flare was not there. It is simply a safety feature.

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2022, 02:26:47 AM »
Weren't there some Yugo's imported with a funky, two-piece Gas Tube, with the added-on piece colored like aluminum or stainless? I remember seeing several of them but I don't have any pics. I think we were guessing they were some type of "quasi-arsenal" replacement?

RM or anybody have pics of those?

firstchoice

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2022, 09:52:47 AM »
Ask and you shall receive FC!   thumb1

Excellent memory, I had totally forgotten about these, may be an option for the OP: