Author Topic: What do I have here?  (Read 1527 times)

Offline Direct Connection

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • California is where reality goes to die.
Re: What do I have here?
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2022, 08:47:34 PM »
 Cool pickups Dave. Those trench guns have history behind them. Battlefield pickups  dance2 A story to tell :o Love the dark grease look and you know that baby smells like 50 year cosmoline. I mean you open your safe and its like heaven from the aroma.. clap1 Got a few myself. Not the Russian sneak but the old chi-com greasers  rofl2  Good job  8)

Offline Shane O Mack 76

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2023, 06:52:27 PM »
Hey Guys,

I’m new to this forum and this is my first SKS. Can someone help me date this rifle and tell about this proof marking?

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2023, 02:27:23 AM »
Welcome!

The markings indicate that it’s a 14th year of production (1969), Type 56 (五六式), made at Arsenal 666. It should have a spike bayonet and a cleaning rod. Good score!

Nice ZPAP too  8) I recently grabbed one of those with the walnut furniture from my local gun shop.

Offline Shane O Mack 76

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2023, 06:08:11 AM »
@Phosphorus32
Thank you for your help. I thought it might be a 1969 model, but wasn’t sure. I got this for $370. I’ve already picked up a bayonet and cleaning rod. Just waiting for them to come in. Do you know anything about factory 666?

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2023, 03:11:55 PM »
@Phosphorus32
Thank you for your help. I thought it might be a 1969 model, but wasn’t sure. I got this for $370. I’ve already picked up a bayonet and cleaning rod. Just waiting for them to come in. Do you know anything about factory 666?

Great price these days  thumb1

I don’t know anything about the location etc. of 666. It was clearly one of the low volume arsenals, since there are only five digits for the actual serial number after the year of production digits. In the 14th year at 666, the highest number we have in our serial number lists is around 3600, so a very low output Arsenal.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2023, 12:12:38 AM »
There are a few documented.. maybe a dozen or so, pretty uncommon find for a first timer. and that one is in nice condition.. thumb1 the wear and usage on mine, who knows where or what it done in it's former life.   It may full well need an exorcism.. rofl2

I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem