Author Topic: New 2019 type 56 imports at Classic tracking thread  (Read 53827 times)

Offline echo83

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rifleman
Re: New 2019 type 56 imports at Classic tracking thread
« Reply #180 on: September 28, 2019, 08:04:11 AM »
Welcome, 2CavTrooper! Pretty solid looking example, you did a nice job cleaning it up. My stock was beaten up pretty badly, too. I'm glad that mechanically, you're in good shape.

Have you gotten a chance to get it out to the range? If so, how does it shoot?

Offline carls sks

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #181 on: September 28, 2019, 09:13:51 AM »
hi and welcome. good to have you here. looking good, you did a nice job on it.  thumb1
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline 2CavTrooper

• Newber
« Reply #182 on: September 28, 2019, 11:52:34 AM »
Have you gotten a chance to get it out to the range? If so, how does it shoot?

Was planning to go today to shoot the SKS and a 41 K98k that I haven't fired yet. But, it's raining. So no bueno.  cry1

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #183 on: September 28, 2019, 07:08:40 PM »
Well Cav, you certainly have good taste in toys.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline Direct Connection

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • California is where reality goes to die.
« Reply #184 on: September 28, 2019, 07:41:11 PM »
Yeah that's nice ! That thing looks allot better then mine. Did you oil that stock ? Good job of cleaning it up. All numbers match big bonus.

Offline 2CavTrooper

• Newber
« Reply #185 on: September 28, 2019, 08:41:19 PM »
Yeah that's nice ! That thing looks allot better then mine. Did you oil that stock ? Good job of cleaning it up. All numbers match big bonus.

I stripped the stock as close as I could to bare wood - which was not easy. Then I applied a couple coats of Boiled Linseed Oil with some stain mixed in for color. I'm going to give it a couple weeks to completely cure and then will either apply another coat or two or I will finish it with a high quality wax to seal it.

Offline Larry D.

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #186 on: September 29, 2019, 04:11:27 PM »

I stripped the stock as close as I could to bare wood - which was not easy. Then I applied a couple coats of Boiled Linseed Oil with some stain mixed in for color. I'm going to give it a couple weeks to completely cure and then will either apply another coat or two or I will finish it with a high quality wax to seal it.

How did you strip it?
That looks like you did a pretty good job.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.

Offline 2CavTrooper

• Newber
« Reply #187 on: September 30, 2019, 12:29:02 PM »

How did you strip it?

That's a long story. I ended up going through multiple different processes multiple times trying to strip the stock before I finally arrived at something I was satisfied with. So, here goes.

1. Initially cleaned with mineral spirits which is what I commonly use for all the parts when I first break down a milsurp rifle to get rid of cosmo.
2. Following a YT tutorial by Larry Potterfield (MidwayUSA) on how to strip a stock using an Oil based finish, I then used Lacquer Thinner. It took a "little" off at first, but then seemed to have no further effect after several hours of patiently working on it.
3. I then moved on to CitrisStrip which was recommended by IraqVeteran and on many gun boards. After doing one round for a short period to ensure there was no impact to the stock, I did a second application for about 16-20 hours and used a rough pad to clean it up. As before, it seemed to do some initial effect, but left quite a bit behind. I think I tried a 3rd time as well.
4. I then moved on to Turpentine. This was used by Potterfield in a separate tutorial where a stock was soaked with gun oil. This rifle was most problematic in the grip area behind the receiver and potentially was due to gun oil. Same as the others, took some off right away, but didn't do much after that.
5. I think I went through all three of the above again without getting close to "bare" wood.
6. I finally resigned myself that the time and effort to get anywhere near what I needed was beyond what I was willing to invest. I decided to do a final clean up using mineral spirits to get rid of any remnants from the previous chemicals followed by warm water. This did the trick! While there was still some depressions where it was not perfect, the overall stock was nearly bare.

All this was over the course of a couple months, working on it a couple times a week. That is why it took me a couple months before I ended up looking for more info and finding this thread.

Offline Larry D.

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #188 on: September 30, 2019, 02:57:28 PM »

How did you strip it?

That's a long story. I ended up going through multiple different processes multiple times trying to strip the stock before I finally arrived at something I was satisfied with. So, here goes.

1. Initially cleaned with mineral spirits which is what I commonly use for all the parts when I first break down a milsurp rifle to get rid of cosmo.
2. Following a YT tutorial by Larry Potterfield (MidwayUSA) on how to strip a stock using an Oil based finish, I then used Lacquer Thinner. It took a "little" off at first, but then seemed to have no further effect after several hours of patiently working on it.
3. I then moved on to CitrisStrip which was recommended by IraqVeteran and on many gun boards. After doing one round for a short period to ensure there was no impact to the stock, I did a second application for about 16-20 hours and used a rough pad to clean it up. As before, it seemed to do some initial effect, but left quite a bit behind. I think I tried a 3rd time as well.
4. I then moved on to Turpentine. This was used by Potterfield in a separate tutorial where a stock was soaked with gun oil. This rifle was most problematic in the grip area behind the receiver and potentially was due to gun oil. Same as the others, took some off right away, but didn't do much after that.
5. I think I went through all three of the above again without getting close to "bare" wood.
6. I finally resigned myself that the time and effort to get anywhere near what I needed was beyond what I was willing to invest. I decided to do a final clean up using mineral spirits to get rid of any remnants from the previous chemicals followed by warm water. This did the trick! While there was still some depressions where it was not perfect, the overall stock was nearly bare.

All this was over the course of a couple months, working on it a couple times a week. That is why it took me a couple months before I ended up looking for more info and finding this thread.

I did a copy and paste for further discussion so as not to get too far afield in this thread.
https://sks-files.com/index.php?topic=4588.0
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.

Offline echo83

• Rifleman
« Reply #189 on: October 31, 2019, 04:23:43 PM »
...and they're back. Now starting at $339. Still waiting for my rebate...

Offline Shine

• Newber
« Reply #190 on: January 02, 2020, 09:19:48 AM »
New to forum and SKS platform.  Doing some research on Semi Auto firearms that will not be banned if Florida's BAWN amendment makes it to the ballot and passes in 2020, came across SKS which would not be a banned firearm (while Ruger 10/22 would be).  Found it interesting and the videos from Classic.  Shelled out the $299 for a non select SKS at Classic Firearms.  Received it pretty quick at my FFL.  Overall condition was pretty good with bluing better than expected.  Stock was in fair shape but had a long scar down the left side - my guess someone pulled it out of a stack and and an open bayonet gouged it.  It as a 15 serial on the barrel and  bolt.  Then all the other parts are mismatched.  Plus stock does not match year with swivels on the side.  I dont know that I care too much about that as they replacement parts were in good condition. Of note, the dust cover and gas tube were remarked with an engraving tool to match bolt/barrel serial number.  Bore was in perfect condition and trigger is super crisp -- about that of a match trigger.  Cleaned and refinished stock and filled the bayonet gouge with epoxy and milled wood.  Importer was PW Arms from Redmond WA.  I did ask Classic about the country of origin and they said the importer does not give them that info (I understand its public record, but that was the response given.)    Here are some pics.  Any info on like origin or other nueances would be cool.  Many Thanks!

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #191 on: January 02, 2020, 10:36:49 AM »
Welcome! Obviously we think the SKS is a robust semiautomatic rifle. They’re great collectibles with a rich history too.

Classic Firearms wants to maintain the fiction that they might be from Vietnam, hence “we don’t give out that information“. They aren’t from Vietnam. The US has not imported any small arms from Vietnam. They’re from Albania where arms dealer Limex, of Austria, bought them. A couple of US importers bought them from Limex.

If you use a good quality dark amber flake shellac dissolved in denatured alcohol you may get back close to the original finish. Use multiple thin coats with a light steel wool between each. As the coats build up some thickness, the color will turn from blonde to more orangish. You can add garnet flakes if you need a bit of more orangish to reddish tint to match the color of your handguard. I found different colors of flake shellac on eBay. Finish with a #0000 steel wool to knock down the high gloss.

I prefer not to strip and refinish SKSs or any original milsurp. I do admit I did refinish one very late year refurbished commercial Norinco SKS that was beat to hell and back here in the US  :o :))

https://sks-files.com/index.php?topic=3803.0

I’ve used the shellac methods described above on Romanian AK furniture with good results. I used mostly garnet shellac with a bit of amber to obtain more of a reddish brown.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2022, 07:43:26 AM by Phosphorus32 »

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #192 on: January 02, 2020, 03:22:22 PM »
New to forum and SKS platform.  Doing some research on Semi Auto firearms that will not be banned if Florida's BAWN amendment makes it to the ballot and passes in 2020, came across SKS which would not be a banned firearm (while Ruger 10/22 would be).  Found it interesting and the videos from Classic.  Shelled out the $299 for a non select SKS at Classic Firearms.  Received it pretty quick at my FFL.  Overall condition was pretty good with bluing better than expected.  Stock was in fair shape but had a long scar down the left side - my guess someone pulled it out of a stack and and an open bayonet gouged it.  It as a 15 serial on the barrel and  bolt.  Then all the other parts are mismatched.  Plus stock does not match year with swivels on the side.  I dont know that I care too much about that as they replacement parts were in good condition. Of note, the dust cover and gas tube were remarked with an engraving tool to match bolt/barrel serial number.  Bore was in perfect condition and trigger is super crisp -- about that of a match trigger.  Cleaned and refinished stock and filled the bayonet gouge with epoxy and milled wood.  Importer was PW Arms from Redmond WA.  I did ask Classic about the country of origin and they said the importer does not give them that info (I understand its public record, but that was the response given.)    Here are some pics.  Any info on like origin or other nueances would be cool.  Many Thanks!

This is very interesting.  Would be the third importer for this batch and the second used by Classic that I have seen.  Can you get me a photo of the import stamp?

Does the stock have a S/N on it?  What about the parts that were electropencilled...do they have signs of scrubbing or do they maybe look like they wr blank parts? 

Offline carls sks

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #193 on: January 02, 2020, 04:11:35 PM »
hi Shine and welcome. good to have you here. looks  nice, i think you did good.  thumb1
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline Direct Connection

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • California is where reality goes to die.
« Reply #194 on: January 02, 2020, 09:12:12 PM »
Welcome Shine, Any decent looking non matching good functioning sks is worth 375.00 with shipping and ffl included. Unless you already have 25 or so. Then things get a little more picky. It looks like your in business with that one. Have fun with it and bring us back a range report.. Good luck

Offline Shine

• Newber
« Reply #195 on: January 03, 2020, 09:28:00 AM »
Here is the image of the import stamp.  I watched the "unboxing videos" from Classic and noticed the most recent was in a cardboard container, not wood. 

As for source, I will try to reach out to PW and see if they respond.  Otherwise, contact ATF for a FOIA manifest.  That takes months, but is what it is.  I like the idea that they came from Albania.  From what I understand, virtually all the SKS rifles were in reserve armories with very few in the hands of military and police, being long outdated in 1997 by the AK47.  Hence, most every SKS was looted from the armories and would have been part of the civil war, with most ending up in the hands of the KLA in Kosovo.  One source I saw indicated about 600,000 small arms were looted with only about 100,000 turned in or recovered.  If Albania is the origin, then it was part of history.

Stock has no serial number at all.  Pics of the rifle broke down and the finish cleaned up, wood looked pink which would suggest beechnut.  But, I could see wood characteristics of the original Chinese wood stock, so unsure.

Kids looting Albanian armory.  AP News 1997

« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 10:09:21 AM by Shine »

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #196 on: January 03, 2020, 09:47:45 AM »
We dabbled with some, quite in depth trying to get info, we got some stuff...but most of it's pre-internet info and not digital..this is just one list. https://sks-files.com/index.php?topic=2111.0

I tried several importers.. they will not release information.

Wish you the best of luck.. I don't think a FOIA will get info released, but hey, good luck in your venture. The Information Act may not apply to those nation's. Your dealing with old school Cold War communist nations.. and they won't release anything because some little American Act asks for it. 
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Online Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #197 on: January 03, 2020, 10:02:57 AM »
The source is fairly tightly nailed down. One of the forum members at gunboards.com was directly involved in locating and selecting the first caches to be imported from the Albanian stockpiles. His name is Steve K. (Kehaya). I believe he worked with Century Arms.

According to his reconnaissance, the stockpiles of Chinese type56s were fairly large. And, iirc,  there are more arsenal stamps among them than just the factory /26\ carbines.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 10:13:58 AM by Boris Badinov »

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #198 on: January 03, 2020, 10:16:12 AM »
We are all well too aware of Steve K. (Kehaya) thumb1  I'll let RM or P32 address that discussion,  besides.. mom always said.. if I cant say something nice... zip it boy..  :)
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • SQUIRREL!!! Camp Lejuene Water Survivor.
« Reply #199 on: January 03, 2020, 10:56:36 AM »
Welcome Shine.  Thanks for posting your piece and the pictures of the kids looting an Albanian armory.  Kid in the blue with two Chinese SKS's. Cheers, Bruce.