Author Topic: 1973 Marlin 39M  (Read 1415 times)

Offline Ret-Sarge

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Cadet
1973 Marlin 39M
« on: April 03, 2020, 02:22:25 AM »
Here's a 1973 Marlin Original Golden - 39M my father purchased new from the Rod & Gun Club at Zaragoza AB, Spain in 73. It was the first gun I carried for hunting, I was responsible for its upkeep and cleaning from 75-77 while we were stationed at Mountain Home AFB, Idaho.

He bought the sling at the same time and they've been together since. The rifle has the Bullseye decoration on the bottom of the buttstock, which Marlin has done to walnut stocked guns for sometime. Pain to get a picture of it due to the sling.

The scope is some cheap TASCO thing my dad put on it to shoot rats, possum, and other varmints from the porch later in life. It has been removed since the pictures were taken.

I inherited the rifle in Sept 2011 a week or so prior to my dads passing. The gun was stored in less than desirable conditions for some years prior to me getting it. So it took some work getting her cleaned up and looking presentable again.

Mike
TSgt USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Re: 1973 Marlin 39M
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2020, 06:28:27 AM »
A classic lever action Marlin rifle. It’s great to have that connection to your father  thumb1

Offline carls sks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2020, 09:14:26 AM »
very neat to have something from your dad.  thumb1
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Online echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2020, 09:42:08 AM »
That's a great connection. I've given guns to my sons for their birthdays & Christmas since they were teenagers. PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline Ret-Sarge

• Cadet
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2020, 09:28:29 PM »
A classic lever action Marlin rifle. It’s great to have that connection to your father  thumb1

It's the gun I learn to shoot and hunt on.

His introducing me to firearms was less than cordial. As a scrawny 9 year old, he put a JP Sauer & Sohn Western Marshall in 44 magnum in my hands. I pulled the trigger and buried the hammer in my forehead. That was followed by a Parker Hale 270 with a scope, which I promptly busted my eye open with the recoil of the scope (I looked like Petey the dog from the Little Rascals). Then a Remington 1100 12 guage, followed by a Winchester Model 94 Antique,  then lastly the 22.

After a bloody head,  bloody eye, bruised shoulder, and being damn near deaf, he informs I will learn the 22 inside and out, maintain it, shoot a brick throught it everytime we go out until I am proficient with it,  then I will learn to hunt with it.

My mom asked him if he beat me, he said no, I thought the boy proper respect for firearms. He'll never forget those lessons, and you know what.......I never did forget those lessons.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 09:32:50 PM by Ret-Sarge »
Mike
TSgt USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

Offline Ret-Sarge

• Cadet