Author Topic: need some technical info on a Romy G  (Read 1477 times)

Offline hoopharted

• go head,pull my finger
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
  • Hillbilly Indian
need some technical info on a Romy G
« on: February 13, 2021, 04:21:30 PM »
first the back story , not for the faint of heart

purchased a Romy G kit years ago when they were cheap , admittedly the G rifle never got me tingly in my fun bits , but planned to do something to make it more appealing like get rid of the front dong , had everything including the No-Dak Spud receiver ,but not the ambition to get it done

last spring we went through everything and decided to get rid of clutter , it had been a while since we did so , i found the box with what i thought was the complet G kit , set it aside for the keep pile , well someone mistook it for the trash pile and it made its way to the truck for the dump , not the yard sale pile , not the pile for family and friends , the trash load , not going into detail who because divorce scares the crap out of me so we will leave it at that

i actually took it pretty well , but still get a sick feeling when i see a G rifle ,  so all the clutter is gone and its time to organize what we keep hence me unearthing crap from 20 years ago every weekend that i forgot i had , resulting in my "look what i found'' posts ,lol

well today i opened a box its got AK parts in it , not unusual , im looking at the parts and realize its half the G kit  , from what i can gather the box that went to the dump had the receiver , furniture ,and bolt carrier group , it appears i have almost everything else including the rivets , the gas block with bayo lug , original barrel with beautiful bore , trigger group , exc,,,

my question is are there other combloc AK's that are interchangeable with the Romanian AKs that would give me a better chance of finding the bolt carrier assembly ?like polish?

There are going to be two types of people in this world , those without toilet paper , and those with plenty of ammo to protect their toilet paper

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Re: need some technical info on a Romy G
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2021, 05:01:16 PM »
Not an expert on AKs but it's my understanding that any original production AKM bolt carrier group parts ought to do the trick.

Offline hoopharted

• go head,pull my finger
  • Marksman
  • Hillbilly Indian
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2021, 06:03:05 PM »
i actually just found a complete bolt ,carrier ,and gas tube and they are ordered

the AK gods are kicking me in the berries again though , i had to by the forward dong in order tp get the upper handguard with the gas tube , the dong is the thing i hate most about the G rifle ,lol

oh yea they also had the rear trunnion as well , this thing may just happen
There are going to be two types of people in this world , those without toilet paper , and those with plenty of ammo to protect their toilet paper

Offline hoopharted

• go head,pull my finger
  • Marksman
  • Hillbilly Indian
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2021, 06:13:11 PM »
Lees Mags is usually pretty reasonable on this kind of stuff , but dude  missed the mark this time , he had the parts , but for what he was asking by the time i was done i could have bought an entire kit from another site , he wanted like $300 just for a used bolt , $150 for the carrier

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2021, 01:36:07 AM »
Hoop, just put the furniture on it that you want.

Oddly enough, the dong sets are selling right now. Sell your dong and add some Russkie red for a nice touch.

Or sell your dong and throw on a Magpul Zhukov stock and some black accessories..

Lots of guys are parting with their dongs these days and not looking back. If you sell your complete dong set, you'll likely be able to pick up any other set you want to get the look you like.

After you get through with the dong vending, maybe sit down and watch one of the Pink Panther movies. They also have Peter Sellers......

Sorry brother, couldn't help myself.

Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline hoopharted

• go head,pull my finger
  • Marksman
  • Hillbilly Indian
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2021, 02:49:30 AM »
Hoop, just put the furniture on it that you want.

Oddly enough, the dong sets are selling right now. Sell your dong and add some Russkie red for a nice touch.

Or sell your dong and throw on a Magpul Zhukov stock and some black accessories..

Lots of guys are parting with their dongs these days and not looking back. If you sell your complete dong set, you'll likely be able to pick up any other set you want to get the look you like.

After you get through with the dong vending, maybe sit down and watch one of the Pink Panther movies. They also have Peter Sellers......

Sorry brother, couldn't help myself.

, hilarious at the pink panther , miss those movies

i had actually started thinking along those lines as well , take the gas tube/parts which i need and sell the wood and get a hand guard set i like , i may even do a under folder if i can find one, No Dak only charges an extra $20 for an UF receiver , i have plenty of correct rifles this will be an excuse to put one together the way i want , except the rear sight base has that big ole G on the side

Offline hoopharted

• go head,pull my finger
  • Marksman
  • Hillbilly Indian
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2021, 08:30:44 PM »
ordered my receiver today , went with NoDak Spud , they ship UPS yayyyyyyyy (i have to laugh or i will go crazy)

pretty sure i have a complete kit again , some parts are on the way so i will get everything laid out on the gun bench , might be iffy on the rivets

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2021, 10:51:58 AM »
Rivet sets are fairly cheap.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline hoopharted

• go head,pull my finger
  • Marksman
  • Hillbilly Indian
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2021, 07:00:51 PM »
have several packs but fear some may duplicates , for some reason i had multiple FSB,gas blocks rear sight leafs  , must have been chucking all my extra parts in the box

i thought i ordered the correct upper and lower handguard but must had just put it in the cart and continued shopping for a better deal and never went back and checked out , by the time i realized it they were sold , so i just purchased a "pretty" set of what ever ,lol , im just looking for a attractive shooter ,the dong on the G just doesnt look right to me anyways , kind of like the hokey pistol grip on those oddball M1a  stocks people seem to like ,just looks wrong some how to me

luckily being an early kit its a original barrel with a perfect bore , i might take the barrel out to my shop this weekend and start removing the rest of the old rivits with the press get it ready for the guy to do the rivet work , i cleaned and oiled all the parts last weekend , sucks it was a all matched kit , still feel sick but if i get a rifle out of it still that will help alleviate that

i tried out that Aluma-hyde II Matte finish gun kote by Brownells on a couple USGI take off carry handles  , one had the keyhole forge like my Armalite so i did it first , flat out perfection , it looks and feels like a factory finish and made the carry handle look brand new , and a perfect match to the rifle , i swear if i did not tell you i painted it you would think Armalite painted it with the rifle ,and this stuff there is no need to bake like the old stuff , it fuses to the metal , im going to spray the rifle with this stuff once its assembled and test fires satisfactory

if you ever find yourself looking to paint a rifle Aluma-HydeII is the stuff to get , several colors and types of finish

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2021, 11:46:38 PM »
I'd be interested to see how the finish looks after you get done. Post up some pics when you get done, please! I have a couple of Polish PMKMS kits to get assembled and was considering what finish to use.

Thanks for the info!

firstchoice

Offline hoopharted

• go head,pull my finger
  • Marksman
  • Hillbilly Indian
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2021, 02:52:58 PM »
this is what they are calling matte , i think its more of a satin which i think is better than a stove pipe look ,just the carry handle i painted

Offline hoopharted

• go head,pull my finger
  • Marksman
  • Hillbilly Indian
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2021, 02:54:34 PM »
i am not going to hesitate to paint that whole kit gun with this stuff

Offline hoopharted

• go head,pull my finger
  • Marksman
  • Hillbilly Indian
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2021, 04:09:14 AM »
also ,you got the wheels on the bus going round and round now , im going to wait to be fully sure it has completely cured ,and then we are going to put their durability towards common gun cleaners claim to the test , i am going to douse the carry handle with CLP and see if it damages the finish or strips the paint

i know for a fact CLP dissolves normal paint , if you recall i painted a muzzle brake with high heat black paint , CLP made quick work of it

Offline hoopharted

• go head,pull my finger
  • Marksman
  • Hillbilly Indian
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2021, 09:19:53 PM »
well been talking on the phone and emailing pics to my guy in Baltimore about the build , think we have a deal in place , i decided to just let him do it and do it right , finish and all , he parks then cerakotes  on top of that

because the matched bolt and carrier were tossed and had to be replaced  i was thinking it would be better to have him run a few box's through it , to do that he needs to assemble , see where this is going? lol , so if hes going to go ahead and do it its not that much more to put the quality finish on it

he can start on it at the end of the month , so i have thursday off im going to run it over to him , its about a 2 hour drive away