Author Topic: Hungarian Made German contract G98/40  (Read 2673 times)

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Hungarian Made German contract G98/40
« on: March 20, 2020, 08:47:22 PM »
My rather broad range of interests in collectable military surplus fireams is partly due to my fascination with different types of firearms and how they operate, as well as the diverse history. This rifle definitely fits in both of those categories.

The G98/40 name is odd, since the rifle is not derived from a Gewehr 98, nor is it even a Mauser. It is a German contract rifle made by Fémáru Fegyver és Gépgyár in Budapest. Presumably the design was accepted in 1940, hence the "40", but the reason for calling it a "G98" is a mystery. The German factory code for FEG was jhv and about 140,000 of these were made for the Germans from 1941-44.

The G98/40 is derived from the Hungarian 35.M, which had a straight bolt. In turn, the Hungarian 43.M was a direct derivation from the G98/40 with the only significant difference between the two being the nature of the bayonet lug. The German rifle accepted a standard M1884/98 bayonet, as used on the K98k.

The bolt is a cock-on-close type and the receiver has a split bridge design with a socket for the buttstock similar to a Lee-Enfield. The left locking lug of the bolt head also serves as the ejector. When the bolt is retracted, this moving element of the bolt head hits the bolt stop and ejects the empty cartridge case from the action.

G98/40s are relatively scarce, since few were made relative to the millions of K98k rifles, and probably many were destroyed or captured on the Eastern front. Many of these were used to fulfill Luftwaffe contracts, though the stocks do not bear the characteristic "L" seen in Luftwaffe contract K98k's.

Due to the scarcity, very fine condition matching examples bring around 3K and I'm honestly not quite that interested. So, I'm happy to have snagged this one regardless of being mismatched with a lot of browning, as it fills a hole in my collection and allows me to examine one up close for a small fraction of the cost of an excellent condition matching rifle.

The bolt body is from an "l" block rifle, hence a 1944 G98/40, based on known serial number ranges.

The five digit serial number suggests the replacement floorplate is from a 43.M, since the German G98/40 SNs were up to four digits with a letter block suffix.

Ny = nyitva (literally "open", meaning ready to fire).

Z = zárva (closed, safe). These abbreviations indicated that the safety lever is from a 43.M.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
Re: Hungarian Made German contract G98/40
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2020, 11:07:16 PM »
Another winner!  GM (the enabler) must be salivating in his own juices right about now I'd think.

How does the operation of the cock on close bolt action compare to a K98 or a Lee Enfield?  Would it take some getting use to or is it pretty fluid and easy? 

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2020, 11:32:23 PM »
I like it.
Some parts appear to be a bit crudely made, yet that bolt is very sexy.

Great piece of history.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • SQUIRREL!!! Camp Lejuene Water Survivor.
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2020, 09:38:56 AM »
Nice example, P32.  Looks kind of like a derivative of the Mannlicher 1893.  Since it was contracted from Hungary, I would guess it was mainly produced for the SS since the Wehrmacht got the bulk of German production.  Nice weapon.  Your ammo delema must be as bad as mine ::).

Offline carls sks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2020, 09:45:32 AM »
good stuff, thanks for sharing.  thumb1
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2020, 10:26:01 AM »
Another winner!  GM (the enabler) must be salivating in his own juices right about now I'd think.

How does the operation of the cock on close bolt action compare to a K98 or a Lee Enfield?  Would it take some getting use to or is it pretty fluid and easy?

Thanks!

It’s not quite as fluid as a Lee Enfield bolt but it’s smooth. It takes a fairly deliberate push and turn.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2020, 10:33:37 AM »
I like it.
Some parts appear to be a bit crudely made, yet that bolt is very sexy.

Great piece of history.

Thanks! I agree. The barrel bands especially. I do like bolts with flat knurled bottoms.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2020, 10:48:50 AM »
Nice example, P32.  Looks kind of like a derivative of the Mannlicher 1893.  Since it was contracted from Hungary, I would guess it was mainly produced for the SS since the Wehrmacht got the bulk of German production.  Nice weapon.  Your ammo delema must be as bad as mine ::).

Definitely from the Mannlicher lineage of rifles.

Seems like a reasonable hypothesis, but I have never seen any information suggesting the SS used G98/40s. The Luftwaffe was the primary recipient, according to online sources.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2020, 10:49:21 AM »
good stuff, thanks for sharing.  thumb1

Thanks Carl!

Offline Bob_The_Student

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2020, 11:51:44 AM »
I like it P32 and thanks for the "lesson" on these.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2020, 12:29:02 PM »

bat1 drool2 bat1 drool2 bat1 drool2.... yeah and??   I've enabled and I've been enabled... sometimes your the dog, sometimes your the....leg rofl2 rofl2

I like it..P32, it would look good next to the Gewehr 43 I have... send it to me...  looks like a Mosin, Enfield and a Mauser conspired and had a little Communist Aryan Capitalist baby.

Definitely a very interesting beast thats for sure.. thumb1 thumb1
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • SQUIRREL!!! Camp Lejuene Water Survivor.
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2020, 10:19:34 PM »

I like it..P32, it would look good next to the Gewehr 43 I have... send it to me...  looks like a Mosin, Enfield and a Mauser conspired and had a little Communist Aryan Capitalist baby.

[/quote]

Huh, now there's a convoluted and confused Idealism for ya :-\.

If I remember correctly, wasn't the Mosin in some way a derivative of the Mannlicher?

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2020, 10:55:06 PM »

bat1 drool2 bat1 drool2 bat1 drool2.... yeah and??   I've enabled and I've been enabled... sometimes your the dog, sometimes your the....leg rofl2 rofl2

Definitely a very interesting beast thats for sure.. thumb1 thumb1

Thanks! I’ve got a G43 that needs company too, so I guess this G98/40 better stay close to home.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2020, 07:47:32 AM »
I like it P32 and thanks for the "lesson" on these.

Thanks Bob! You’re welcome!