Author Topic: SKS M face lift  (Read 3025 times)

Offline hoopharted

• go head,pull my finger
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
  • Hillbilly Indian
SKS M face lift
« on: December 28, 2020, 02:05:37 PM »
ok , i have had this M rifle for what seems for ever ,i think it was the second SKS i ever bought , it started out in the thumbhole , then i found the D Monte Carlo style and put it in that because the thumbhole i just hate , so got into AK's shortly after and lost interest in the M so its been a back of a safe gun ever since

decided a couple weeks ago to do something with it , so started researching , because there are allot more after market options for SKS than when i parked it , im some what of a purist so i do not do anything thats not  reversible  , i wont even remove rear sight blade for fear of losing the parts

so i picked out a stock , a Pro mag Arch Angel , its not specific for a M or D rifle but a fella on a other board said his dropped right in ,it just leaves a 2 inch plow in front of the mag well exposed because the stock mag is longer than the AK magwell , no prob , i will just fab a plate to fit in

now the question , i dug the rifle out today and realized i had forgotten that bubba had drilled and tapped two small holes in the receiver side , kinda on the fence , its already drilled , maybe i could use at least one of the holes for a mount and only adding one more  , but the other part says ,you would be adding another hole ,lol, bad Dave seems to be winning this argument

i like the idea of a decent Dot on top ,but i hate the cover mounts , even the ones that cinch down with set screws because they have to be removed to clean and you cant trust zero after that

if your rifle what would you do , the two holes are very small
There are going to be two types of people in this world , those without toilet paper , and those with plenty of ammo to protect their toilet paper

Offline hoopharted

• go head,pull my finger
  • Marksman
  • Hillbilly Indian
Re: SKS M face lift
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2020, 02:09:53 PM »

There are going to be two types of people in this world , those without toilet paper , and those with plenty of ammo to protect their toilet paper

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2020, 02:31:41 PM »
The holes don't seem to be set in very good parallel to the action so I would be careful in trying to set up a mount using those holes. best D&T mount right now is probably the Choate, but that takes four holes.

If it were mine, I'd probably plug the holes, get it back into the original stock and sell it (not much on the AK mag SKSs. Had an MC-5D and ended up selling it). Then I'd go buy 2 or 3 regular SKSs, 1-2 to keep original and one to play with, LOL.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline hoopharted

• go head,pull my finger
  • Marksman
  • Hillbilly Indian
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2020, 03:20:13 PM »
i have 3 other SKS's ,these are harder to find so selling isnt even on my radar ,the holes are on a kilt , good eye definetly not drilling 4 more ,i will do without the dot before i do that,thanks

Offline Bubbazinetti

• MAGA Patriot
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Marksman
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2020, 07:51:51 PM »
If you are a purist type why not go for a new traditional stock? Lucky Shot makes some nice stocks in a variety of woods. Rick did one for me to replace the crummy thumhole stock on my Norinco Sporter and it fits and pulls up nice.

When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns.

Online firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2020, 04:04:56 AM »
If you are a purist type why not go for a new traditional stock? Lucky Shot makes some nice stocks in a variety of woods. Rick did one for me to replace the crummy thumhole stock on my Norinco Sporter and it fits and pulls up nice.

Dang it, Bubba. Every time you post the pics of your SKS with that stock, I want to buy one. You're becoming one of those "enablers"!  chuckles1  (gotta whisper that word!  chuckles1

Problem is, I don't have a SKS that needs a stock, other than a used Yugo M59/66 A1. Seems like it'd be a waste to put a nice stock like that on an old war horse.  nea1

And yet, I still want one!  Cur-sed enablers!!   cry1   ???  chuckles1

firstchoice

Offline hoopharted

• go head,pull my finger
  • Marksman
  • Hillbilly Indian
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2020, 03:47:27 AM »
im a purist i the sense i wont do any lasting damage ,also im a less is more guy , out of all the weapons i own , i have  4 with optics on them,.22 mag , Rem 700 in .243 with night vision ,G43 with a Z4 and a LR308 with a Dot , and like i said , that rifle came in a god awful thumbhole stock ,i was embarrassed to break it out in front of my friends kind of ugly ,it was was bring a green hair liberal who makes her own deodorant home to meet the parents kinda ugly , the D stock i found for it was closer to a traditional stock ,thats what it has lived in ever since , i kinda wanted to do something with it that would prompt me to pull it out more often , paying money for a custom stock that is just a more subtle version of what i already have simple makes no sense

kinda a moot point now , i already have a new stock coming , im going to take pics of it now ,then im going to put it back in the T-hole stock and take another pic , then a pic with its botok my face is stretched really tight new look to show its evolution since ive owned it , im trying to figure out how to plug the bubba holes in the receiver without expanding the damage , im thinking locktite red with set screws flushed would be the best , no grinding , still visible but not two open bubba herpes

Offline hoopharted

• go head,pull my finger
  • Marksman
  • Hillbilly Indian
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2020, 03:54:41 AM »

Dang it, Bubba. Every time you post the pics of your SKS with that stock, I want to buy one. You're becoming one of those "enablers"!  chuckles1  (gotta whisper that word!  chuckles1

Problem is, I don't have a SKS that needs a stock, other than a used Yugo M59/66 A1. Seems like it'd be a waste to put a nice stock like that on an old war horse.  nea1

And yet, I still want one!  Cur-sed enablers!!   cry1   ???  chuckles1

firstchoice

nice set up and yes its a beautiful stock , more so i want that bi-pod , is that vintage or a replica?

not knocking or judging but just to further explain further my "im somewhat a purist" comment , you threaded your barrel for the FH , i would never do that , its a cleaner look than the lock on pinned type , but theres no coming back from that

Offline Bubbazinetti

• MAGA Patriot
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Marksman
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2020, 11:27:53 AM »
My barrel is not threaded.That brake is fastened by a set screw.The bipod is just a cheapy plastic old fashioned wooly bugar type that clamps to a barrel.It is just there to hold the gun in position.

https://armysurpluswarehouse.com/plastic-gi-type-bipod-9/

Available in 9" or 12" lengths.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 06:35:41 PM by Bubbazinetti »
When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns.

Offline hoopharted

• go head,pull my finger
  • Marksman
  • Hillbilly Indian
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2020, 03:36:24 PM »
bi-pod looked like the old vintage from vietnam era bi pods

my bad on the barrel threading

Offline hoopharted

• go head,pull my finger
  • Marksman
  • Hillbilly Indian
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2021, 09:15:40 AM »
another senior moment,,,

alright the new stock arrives Tuesday , so i took a pic of the rifle today in the stock its been residing in , as mentioned it was in a thumbhole stock when i first purchased and i could have sworn i traded with another fella , but then i seen a thumbhole stock in  the closet figuring i must have been remembering wrong

dug it out ,and quickly realizing  it was a AK butt , that thing came off the Mak 90 AK i have , i also quickly replaced soon after acquiring , so i guess i was correct at first it was traded

photo sharing

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2021, 11:39:57 AM »
I really want to get one of those stocks someday...I keep waiting for auctions that are poorly titled, with terrible pictures. :)

BTW....your muzzle brake is on sideways, the holes should go up. As it is, it would be awful difficult for follow up shots when your gun pulls hard to the right after each shot. You have to pull the cleaning rod out, install the brake...and put the rod back in after you have it set. There is a groove to allow it back through.  I have the same brake and had to try install it wrong to make sure it was the same...  thumb1

Offline hoopharted

• go head,pull my finger
  • Marksman
  • Hillbilly Indian
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2021, 11:44:52 AM »
it twists on around the front sight ,and has a set screw , only one way to go on far as i can tell , , it was on when i bought it , i have a new one im putting on today for the makeover , i know its loud as can be

Offline hoopharted

• go head,pull my finger
  • Marksman
  • Hillbilly Indian
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2021, 11:47:50 AM »
i was actually happy when i thought i still had the original thumbhole , totally forgot that Mak 90 had one too , keng had a sale on new Poly furniture like 10 -12 years ago , i bough 3 sets , have one left  dont know what i did with the 3rd

Offline hoopharted

• go head,pull my finger
  • Marksman
  • Hillbilly Indian
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2021, 11:48:57 AM »
I really want to get one of those stocks someday...I keep waiting for auctions that are poorly titled, with terrible pictures. :)

BTW....your muzzle brake is on sideways, the holes should go up. As it is, it would be awful difficult for follow up shots when your gun pulls hard to the right after each shot. You have to pull the cleaning rod out, install the brake...and put the rod back in after you have it set. There is a groove to allow it back through.  I have the same brake and had to try install it wrong to make sure it was the same...  thumb1

https://www.luckyshotwoodstocks.com/

as close as you will get to stock , and they have them for standard sks as well i believe

Offline hoopharted

• go head,pull my finger
  • Marksman
  • Hillbilly Indian
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2021, 12:16:52 PM »
you were right with the break , who put that on didnt rotate it because it hits the sight base , theres a small dish for the cleaning rod to sit in and it was pointed the wrong way , my new one is the same way , going to dremel the break , its just hitting

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2021, 03:59:13 PM »
it twists on around the front sight ,and has a set screw , only one way to go on far as i can tell , , it was on when i bought it , i have a new one im putting on today for the makeover , i know its loud as can be

You actually have the Muzzle Brake on upside-down. If that is a DC Engineering brake, like I think it is, there should be three rows of holes. 2-3-2 with the set screw lining up with the 3 holes in the center. The guys at DC Eng. were not known to be the sharpest knives in the drawer. Instead of the set screw being on the bottom, like every other firearm accessory piece known to man, they have it on top. The holes need to be on top to do their job, reduce muzzle rise at discharge.

BTW, I have that exact same brake.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline hoopharted

• go head,pull my finger
  • Marksman
  • Hillbilly Indian
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2021, 06:26:19 PM »
like i said , it was on there when i bought it , never gave it a second thought , the new one is slender , i fit it today , had to grind , file to get it to fit properly and then used satin heat paint to refinish

Offline sksmcrossvilletn

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Marksman
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2021, 04:28:04 AM »
ok , i have had this M rifle for what seems for ever ,i think it was the second SKS i ever bought , it started out in the thumbhole , then i found the D Monte Carlo style and put it in that because the thumbhole i just hate , so got into AK's shortly after and lost interest in the M so its been a back of a safe gun ever since

decided a couple weeks ago to do something with it , so started researching , because there are allot more after market options for SKS than when i parked it , im some what of a purist so i do not do anything thats not  reversible  , i wont even remove rear sight blade for fear of losing the parts

so i picked out a stock , a Pro mag Arch Angel , its not specific for a M or D rifle but a fella on a other board said his dropped right in ,it just leaves a 2 inch plow in front of the mag well exposed because the stock mag is longer than the AK magwell , no prob , i will just fab a plate to fit in

now the question , i dug the rifle out today and realized i had forgotten that bubba had drilled and tapped two small holes in the receiver side , kinda on the fence , its already drilled , maybe i could use at least one of the holes for a mount and only adding one more  , but the other part says ,you would be adding another hole ,lol, bad Dave seems to be winning this argument

i like the idea of a decent Dot on top ,but i hate the cover mounts , even the ones that cinch down with set screws because they have to be removed to clean and you cant trust zero after that

if your rifle what would you do , the two holes are very small

Go with a mag wedge quick rail and install a red dot on that.

I'd put one of these on it to get me some back up irons

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/leapers-utg-sub-compact-rear-sight-for-shotguns-and-.22-rifles-mnt-910/FC-4717385550674.html
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 04:36:15 AM by sksmcrossvilletn »

Offline teddybear1848

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rifleman
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2021, 08:03:08 AM »
Honestly, If you are an AK man I would just get a molot side mount rail that they make exclusively for the SKS and use a standard AKM pattern sidemount. That way you have some compatibility with all your other guns, and your gun has already been drilled and tapped and it cant hurt it. It will also hold way better that any dust cover mount alternatives in my honest opinion.
"Is that actually a bucket of cat litter or is it 7.62 Nato?" - My better half.