Author Topic: I has a project  (Read 9760 times)

Online Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
Re: I has a project
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2020, 09:30:39 PM »
I dig it!
I haven't tried a Choate conventional stock...but love the drags. Very nice look and fit. Much better aesthetically than anything ATI or Combat Exchange made.  I still want a Butler Creek, but they are pretty uncommon to find.

Ram-Line's are also very nice....but you don't see them frequently since bought out by/rebranded as Champion.  Their folders were a joke, but the conventional stocks are light as a feather.  Plus they are thin enough to allow for a spike bayonet with some fairly easy dremel love. I wish I hadn't fit mine to my DB...it won't fit anything else now....and she since found a purty wood stock.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2020, 09:59:14 PM »
I find the Choate Conventional very comfortable for a deer gun.They do take some fitting and does make the gun a tad front heavy but I still like it that way.

That is why I always preferred the Ramline. And yes, JH, the way they are made is quite nice if you want to keep the bayonet intact. The advantage of the Choate for hunting is the built-in recoil pad whereas the Ramline has a plastic plate. Although on a previous build I did find a grind to fit pad to install on the Ramline stock.

My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Online Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2020, 10:24:46 PM »
I dig that too!
The eye relief seems a little eyelash tickling close, and I would rock the sexy Ram-Line handguard myself...but...cool!

I need to get a buttpad fit to Joe's Aussie Thumbhole....any ideas?

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2020, 10:58:57 PM »
I dig that too!
The eye relief seems a little eyelash tickling close, and I would rock the sexy Ram-Line handguard myself...but...cool!

I need to get a buttpad fit to Joe's Aussie Thumbhole....any ideas?

The pad actually increases the LOP enough to make up for how far back the scope is. and IIRC the eye relief on that particular scope was around 2.8"- 3". On Joe's old stock I'd need a pic to refresh my memory to be sure, but if it is the same as standard stocks with the cutout for the buttplate, yes I have an idea. Years back Martin08 built up an East German parade rifle with the chromed butt plate only he made his plate out of polish aluminum. If you can make/have made an aluminum plate that slips over the recessed part of the buttstock to make it flush, so as not to destroy the OEM part of the stock, then you can find a grind to fit recoil pad(like a limbsaver) that matches up the hole pattern, fit it to the plate and there you go. Main thing is that the bottom hole lines up due to how little wood there is on that part of the stock. It is easier to drill a new hole in the top, fatter part of the stock, as it will not affect the OEM look if you go back to that.

As for the Ramline HG, you mean like this one?

My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Online Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2020, 12:07:14 AM »
https://sks-files.com/index.php?topic=1349.0

IIRC, there are no holes at all, I have since adhered a thin rubber pad I made from the liner to a truck stop briefcase.  :))

The way Joe described it to me, he bought the gun specifically to get the stock, set it in a corner for a week or two...and the glued on super spongy rubber pad wet rotted and kind of slid off. It sounded like the death of many 8-track tapes to me.

It has never truly been fitted to a gun, and it's a bit of a bear to actually find a gun that fits into it....yet there is still a huge amount of gap at the stock ferrule. The AKesque handguard is fun to get to play nice with a gas tube as well. I don't think that is pictured in the above thread though.  Per Joe's instructions though...it must be used on a gun with a bayonet, since it is capable of either spike or blade.  It currently has an M44 bayonet, with a straight eared Russian handle, to keep it upright...but it will accept a blade just as easily, even on a spiker. 

I think it's a prototype,or possibly the only one left on earth.  Piers Dev is a stock company from Australia...but, since the govt. there defrocked the citizenry of their arms...they never really had any internet presence. It is a total mystery....and best of all, It's pretty neato.

As far as I can tell, it is a plastic rendition of a Sporter stock, just with a traditional magwell and a bayonet slot.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2020, 10:35:18 AM »
https://sks-files.com/index.php?topic=1349.0

IIRC, there are no holes at all, I have since adhered a thin rubber pad I made from the liner to a truck stop briefcase.  :))

The way Joe described it to me, he bought the gun specifically to get the stock, set it in a corner for a week or two...and the glued on super spongy rubber pad wet rotted and kind of slid off. It sounded like the death of many 8-track tapes to me.

It has never truly been fitted to a gun, and it's a bit of a bear to actually find a gun that fits into it....yet there is still a huge amount of gap at the stock ferrule. The AKesque handguard is fun to get to play nice with a gas tube as well. I don't think that is pictured in the above thread though.  Per Joe's instructions though...it must be used on a gun with a bayonet, since it is capable of either spike or blade.  It currently has an M44 bayonet, with a straight eared Russian handle, to keep it upright...but it will accept a blade just as easily, even on a spiker. 

I think it's a prototype,or possibly the only one left on earth.  Piers Dev is a stock company from Australia...but, since the govt. there defrocked the citizenry of their arms...they never really had any internet presence. It is a total mystery....and best of all, It's pretty neato.

As far as I can tell, it is a plastic rendition of a Sporter stock, just with a traditional magwell and a bayonet slot.

I remember that stock now, about the sexiest synthetic stock ever. Probably made of fiberglass reinforced nylon from the looks. And now I also remember your old SKSboards username, LOL

Yeah, I would just find a "grind to it" LimbSaver type recoil pad to put on there. Grind it to size then drill pilot holes for the screws. If you have a local gunsmith in your area he may have a collection of used buttpads you can rummage through to find one that fits with little or no work. That's where I got the one I had in the other SKS pic

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2020, 07:38:36 PM »
Okay, I finally got my project gun finished the way it is going to stay. At least for a while, LOL. I ended up putting the fixed box mag on it that is blocked to 5rnds. If it's for deer hunting you don't need that many anyway, right? I have a black Chinese SKS style sling on the way for a finishing touch and the bipod is removable as it is more for bench shooting at the range.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 08:06:38 PM by Greatguns »

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2020, 10:38:16 PM »
Not that I normally look twice at a bubba'ed gun, that thing is SEXY!

Might have to start saying bubba for a true bubba, and start saying "smithed" for something like this. You've done an amazing amount of work to that rifle.

Well done, Sir!
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2020, 10:45:46 PM »
Not that I normally look twice at a bubba'ed gun, that thing is SEXY!

Might have to start saying bubba for a true bubba, and start saying "smithed" for something like this. You've done an amazing amount of work to that rifle.

Well done, Sir!

Thanks Larry, going to put a 10 rnd ammo sleeve on the butt stock to finish it off along with the black SKS sling. That with 5 in the mag will be plenty for a days outing in these parts.

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2020, 10:49:41 PM »
I had to say something nice to prove that I've really forgiven you...... rofl rofl rofl
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2020, 10:53:20 PM »
I had to say something nice to prove that I've really forgiven you...... rofl rofl rofl

rofl2 rofl2

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2020, 05:01:14 PM »
So, since I got new clothes for my project SKS here I thought I'd model her for you.

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2020, 06:31:35 PM »
I really dig that green KSI stock on that carbine GG.  Truth be told, I was 100% going to bid on that stock this past Sunday before the auction ended and see if I could snag it sub-$75. I had to catch a flight and forgot all about it. I’m glad you got it though!  Looking great!  thumb1

Online Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2020, 07:32:34 PM »
YES!

I almost grabbed one sans handguard a few weeks ago...just to have one. Now I am regretting forgetting that auction myself.

That looks just splendid!  thumb1

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2020, 10:54:46 PM »
Thanks fellas, It is about 6ozs heavier than the Choate, but it is also has about a 1/2" longer pull and is better balanced in the weight distribution, I like that. Not sure I like the Simmons scope though. I do have 3 others I can try out on it to see which I like on there best.

But most of all, I like how she's dressed.

Online echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #55 on: September 20, 2020, 12:48:53 PM »
Looks GREAT. I like my K-Sport clone the best, today. PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline Cupid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rifleman
« Reply #56 on: September 20, 2020, 01:14:36 PM »
Did you mention how this SKS is internally ?    Everything else is cosmetics and only important to women. :)
THE WELDER GIVETH AND THE FILE TAKETH AWAY

ARSE~!

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #57 on: September 20, 2020, 02:42:38 PM »
Did you mention how this SKS is internally ?    Everything else is cosmetics and only important to women. :)

She is a woman, that's why I said I'd model "her" for you.

Online echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #58 on: September 20, 2020, 06:04:41 PM »
So, since I got new clothes for my project SKS here I thought I'd model her for you.

My OD K-Sport didn't have an HG, so I used a black Ramline HG, and an OD VZ 59 sling with the leather strap died black. The contrasting HG, recoil pad and hasp really sets it off. Plus the donor rifle was a Kengs Paratrooper with the cleanly neutered FSB. The whole build turned out nice. There's a picture of it here. PAX

https://www.firearmstalk.com/threads/k-sport-parka-para-clone-of-sorts.138328/
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline Cupid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rifleman
« Reply #59 on: September 20, 2020, 08:27:30 PM »
Cupid's comment deleted:

Rule 1. Respect
Rule 4. Intolerance
Rule 7. Trolling

Please reread the rules. Thanks  thumb1
https://sks-files.com/index.php?topic=20.0
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 10:29:52 PM by Phosphorus32 »