Author Topic: I has a project  (Read 9771 times)

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
Re: I has a project
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2020, 10:37:33 AM »
Justin, sounds like your method is leaning a little towards the hot bluing style. Having worked in a gunsmith shop for a few years I got to the point where I would not go near the tanks. Seems like the acidic chemicals and odors were having a negative affect on my skin. Therefore, I went to the cold blue method for everything I do.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Online Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2020, 02:15:09 PM »
Reminds me of a kid back in elementary school who grew crystals using what he called 'bluing'.  I cannot imagine being around vats of corrosive chemicals being particularly kind to skin, lungs, eyes....

If the same kid did this in a modern school environment, folks would show up in hazmat suits and shut down the building.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2020, 02:47:53 PM »
Reminds me of a kid back in elementary school who grew crystals using what he called 'bluing'.  I cannot imagine being around vats of corrosive chemicals being particularly kind to skin, lungs, eyes....

If the same kid did this in a modern school environment, folks would show up in hazmat suits and shut down the building.

Too True, LOL.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline agrace

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Rifleman
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2020, 10:41:29 AM »

[/quote]

agrace, how are you? Been a while, good to see you around.(good to be around too, I know I have been awol for a while) :)
[/quote]

Doing great sir! How are you doing? It has been a minute. I am still around,  been busy with work and a new grandbaby :)  Glad to see your still well.
I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2020, 05:13:45 PM »
Okay fellas, got a few update pics on my project. Cleaned up the barrel some more(still not done in some of the covered areas) then cut and crowned the barrel right behind the FSB. Installed the Magwedge rail and a 1.5-4x30 30mm PEPR mount scope w/RGB horseshoe mil-dot sight and flip up lens caps. May ditch the PEPR for low or medium 30mm rings to tighten up the sight picture to cheek rest alignment on it though.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 05:24:18 PM by Greatguns »

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2020, 05:21:31 PM »
Nicely done GG.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline auskip07

• Rifleman
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2020, 06:14:34 PM »
looks like a pro did it!

Online Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2020, 01:25:41 AM »
Is that a sawed off 20 round Promag that is now more like a 9+1 mag?

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2020, 10:01:06 AM »

No, that's a Factory 10rnd ProMag. They make 5rnd mags as well. I keep a couple for hunting purposes. :)

Online Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2020, 12:48:04 PM »

No, that's a Factory 10rnd ProMag. They make 5rnd mags as well. I keep a couple for hunting purposes. :)

They have a 20rd model that has lips for the floor plate at ten and five round locations, you can just saw it off at that level.  I think though, it was not intended for the consumer to do so. I can only get nine in mine....probably a spring issue.  They probably did it for ease of molding for various sizes I am guessing.  Mine had a broken feed lip, so I wanted to try reducing the round count and spring down, to milk some use out of it. :)

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2020, 01:07:11 PM »

They have a 20rd model that has lips for the floor plate at ten and five round locations, you can just saw it off at that level.  I think though, it was not intended for the consumer to do so. I can only get nine in mine....probably a spring issue.  They probably did it for ease of molding for various sizes I am guessing.  Mine had a broken feed lip, so I wanted to try reducing the round count and spring down, to milk some use out of it. :)

It is cheaper to have one mold, fill it to what capacity mark they want/need then shave the extra off for final assembly. Then it is just a matter of programming the machine how much liquid to pour in per batch. So yeah, your guess is a pretty good one. Fairly common injection molding practice with computerized machines.

But, it does make for easy cut down and re-purpose if you have a 20 and need a 10 or 5 for hunting, etc. A lot simpler than whoever it was that did the Tapco mag cut down on the other boards all those years ago.

Offline Bubbazinetti

• MAGA Patriot
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2020, 07:31:58 PM »
Looks good and pretty square.
When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2020, 05:03:01 PM »
I wasn't liking the bulkiness, weight, and height of the more tactical scope I had on there so I found something else a little more "hunting" friendly and lighter. It's a Simmons 8-point 3-9x32 scope. It sits down lower so I don't feel like I need a riser on the butt stock. So, this is pretty much my finished product.

Offline Bubbazinetti

• MAGA Patriot
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2020, 05:37:58 PM »
Much better.Looks like the objective just clears the rail.Is that a duckbill 5rnd hunting mag?

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2020, 08:28:30 PM »
Much better.Looks like the objective just clears the rail.Is that a duckbill 5rnd hunting mag?

It's a ten rounder, legal in Missouri for hunting. I do have a Canadian 5 round box mag I was thinking of using, but then I'd have to go a different route with the rail to accommodate stripper clips. May get a Promag 5 rnder though so it is more streamlined. Only reason for a 10rnd mag for deer is if you come across a whole bunch at one time, LOL.

On the scope, I think the eye-line is over an inch lower than the original 3-9x40 scope I had on it due to the rings and at least 3/4" lower than the tactical scope.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 08:32:44 PM by Greatguns »

Offline agrace

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2020, 11:25:22 AM »
I have the same mag in mine, I do like the way that looks.. a lot.. I may have to look into one of those stocks. It looks better, to me, than the Combat Exchange or ATI (not sure which it is) I have. It has a cheek riser on it, which does me no good since I shoot left handed.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 11:54:06 AM by agrace »
I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning.

Offline auskip07

• Rifleman
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2020, 11:47:11 AM »
agreed on the scope change.  some times less is more.   Good looking gun!

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2020, 01:33:54 PM »
That's a good looking rifle.

Have you tried it out yet?
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2020, 03:43:02 PM »
I have the same mag in mine, I do like the way that looks.. a lot.. I may have to look into one of those stocks. It looks better, to me, than the Combat Exchange or ATI (not sure which it is) I have. It has a cheek riser on it, which does me no good since I shoot left handed.

Combat Exchange was bought by ATI so they are the same and the only synthetic stock to have the comb setup on the butt. I am lefthanded as well so always steered clear of those stocks. This one is a Choate cause I couldn't find a Ramline which I like more.

agreed on the scope change.  some times less is more.   Good looking gun!

Yeah, that other scope was just too tacticool for this rifle.

That's a good looking rifle.

Have you tried it out yet?

Haven't had a chance to get to the range yet. Need to go as I several firearms I need to test out.

Offline Bubbazinetti

• MAGA Patriot
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2020, 07:51:48 PM »
I find the Choate Conventional very comfortable for a deer gun.They do take some fitting and does make the gun a tad front heavy but I still like it that way.