This is a Sporter I got a while back that originally came in a bubba'd TAPCO standard SKS stock made and filled (with spray foam) to fit a Sporter. Also the stock was painted a bilious green. Nuff said.
First, I cleaned up the replacement stock (a very rough gun show find) as far as I wanted to go, did the inletting work and filled the channel. Since it was chu wood and I couldn't find any around, I resorted to pine for the plug. Did some inletting for the cleaning rod and used brass stock repair pins in addition to Gorilla wood glue to secure it. After a few years, it seems to have worked fine and matches halfway decent. Finished it out with several coats of BLO.
At this point I found out that all SKS stocks are not created equal. The stock bolt didn't meet with the shoulder on the barrel, being a few millimeters off. After a bit of trial and error and a lot of time fitting, I finally got the stock bolt worked to seat correctly, not wanting to do anything to the barrel shoulder.
The muzzle brake took some fitting, being limited to a Dremel and files. Got it to seat snug, then cold blued the work areas and oil sealed.
I'm contemplating filling the bayonet channel, but that would just be cosmetic. I left the stock with some of the imperfections for looks and also to not take off too much. Oh, and being basically lazy.
I use Hungarian 20 rounders with her just because they look right to me.
I know this isn't on par with some of the other work I've seen done in other posts ("joe" or an RPK, among others, comes to mind
), but she suits my needs.