Author Topic: Aussie Thumbhole  (Read 4650 times)

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
Aussie Thumbhole
« on: June 22, 2015, 07:44:40 PM »
For Father's Day I was granted the ability to pick my gift....

This is a mock up, and when the sunshine returns I will post pics of the naked stock... Currently, this is a ninetwentytwo.arrrgh nightmare sporting a Chinese /26\ 1964 barreled action and gas tube...with an early modified Tapco handguard, an Albanian blued bolt carrier and bayonet...now featuring an Aussie Thumbhole stock.  I am not so much a fan of the angle the bayonet rests at, but it is away from my hand, locks up just fine. These are supposed to be able to take a blade too, which may happen later on another gun...I havent settled on this configuration yet but...I like it!

The original buttpads on these were made of a similar or perhaps identical rubber that was used on the roller for 8-Track tapes...which suffer from what I like to call 'wet rot'. I carved off the slimy remnants before installing the gun.  The way she sits right now though, the eye relief for the scope is perfect...the sharp edges of the butt likely would leave a mark though....I have to hunt down a very thin substitute.

I did get the original handguard, which is about as plain jane as an ATI, but as thick as on original wood guard.  It has a more matte appearance than the rest of the stock...kind of like the Tapco guard does...but since it is a mock up, we shall see what happens when I get my whims in order....

Here she is. :)

Color me one happy Papa. 

banana time
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 08:49:59 PM by Justin Hell »

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
Re: Aussie Thumbhole
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 07:51:21 PM »
That's neat! What's the story on that stock? Looks exactly like a Sporter stock, just not for AK mags.

BTW that gun would look pretty good with a cheese grater handguard :)

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 08:03:09 PM »
That's neat! What's the story on that stock? Looks exactly like a Sporter stock, just not for AK mags.

BTW that gun would look pretty good with a cheese grater handguard :)

There is very little information about these other than they are quite rare, made in Australia..supposedly only a couple hundred imported.  With the general dislike by many for this style of stock it suits me just fine.  There was one pic of one that sold at auction in 2003, that has since vanished at least for me online...other than the photos that vanished from a post about it on 'the other place' there are no photos of these anywhere else anymore.

I wonder how many exist now that they probably all have the 'wet rot' thing going on....I am pleased as punch to have this, and no longer need to seek that 'particular' SKS variant as much now. :)

I agree, a cheese grater would probably look good...I just really like the first gen Tapco for some reason...probably because it is unusual to find at all...and I worked so hard filing it to perfection to work on a Chinese tube.

I also dig the bayonet options...I like my bayonets. :)

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 08:44:02 PM »
Aside from how cool it is that they set these up to use factory mags vs. the AK mags the normal thumbholes come with...it even seems as if you could use the 78-79 /26\ inverted take down lever without problems with these due to the design.

I am beginning to fear Australian ingenuity...it seems like they covered all the bases with this one....before having a rail attached to every conceivable location became the norm.

I am considering taping it up, and taking it to a truck bed liner place..and seeing how that would do for a little cushion.  As it is right now, it feels perfect...I won't modify the stock even to sand down the rough butt edges...a little layer of textured rubber ought to do the trick.  It just sucks not knowing how thick the original was.  I feel as if even for a bubba stock...it's rarity should command some respect.

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 08:45:15 PM »
Hey Justin, what's the actual stock itself made of?

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 08:46:50 PM »
Does it have the sunk in side mount rear sling attachment like the Sporter?

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2015, 09:09:05 PM »
As far as the material goes, I want to say some kind of plastic...maybe fiberglass. It is incredibly light compared to what I expected...and kind of has a look similar to what I have seen with the less rare but still very hard to find Bell and Carlson MC style....but about five ounces lighter. There is some very light speckling to it to give it texture too.  Where the buttpad is missing and 'unpolished' it has a bit of a grainy feel to it...I am unsure it is completely stripped of the goop...all I have on hand are cottonballs and rubbing alcohol 80% no less...I am trying to be as gentle as I can with it.  Another noteworthy thing is that this has an angle to the butt itself angled forward to the right just a tad, conforming to the wrap of your arm...as a right handed shooter would. 

Maybe I got the right handed version.  chuckles1

Yes, it does have the recessed sling mount like a sporter...I suppose I should have taken pics of the other side, but I was too excited to pick it up again I guess.  :)

I was just wondering what type of sling would look right, feel right and be right for the recessed mount...new waters for me.

I will post some complete pics sans gun tomorrow soon when I get the right light.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 09:32:30 PM by Justin Hell »