Author Topic: I has a project  (Read 9749 times)

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
I has a project
« on: July 09, 2020, 11:05:11 PM »
So, I had mentioned having obtained from someone over in the other boards a beater Chinese SKS. Here it is;

My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
Re: I has a project
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2020, 11:36:54 PM »
And here is what I've gotten done so far. Need to pull the bolt carrier back out so you can see it better, but it polished up pretty good. I may blue it though, haven't decided yet.

Got the bayonet collar, mag, and receiver cover cleaned up and re-blued as well as getting the bolt carrier polished up. I also did a quick touch up on the receiver. I am setting this up to hunt with so am debating whether to re-blue it, cote it, or have it dipped in a camo along with the Choate stock I got from Duffarmy.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 12:54:10 PM by Greatguns »
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2020, 01:10:48 AM »
Makes me want to find a one piece gas tube, beat it up a smidge and trade you for that two piece that looks so, nice. :P

You so know that is outta place with a blade....  :))

Is that a Choate monte and a Magwedge mount I spy in the evolution?

owenj492

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2020, 08:40:46 AM »
I have a SKS Sporter (takes AK-47 Mags) in similar condition that needs re-bluing, what bluing brand did you use, and what is your bluing steps you take?  I have Brownells Oxpho-Blue because of the reviews I've read online.

Offline carls sks

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2020, 09:28:08 AM »
nice work, your doing good. big improvement for sure.
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Online 1mlt

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Marksman
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2020, 12:30:44 PM »
It's cleaning up better than I thought it would. I'd "slick" it up like you are doing and not do anything else to it. Marcus
There is but one language in the USA, English.
Teddy R.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2020, 01:25:17 PM »
Makes me want to find a one piece gas tube, beat it up a smidge and trade you for that two piece that looks so, nice. :P

Yes, you may remember the project post(s) I had from several years back with the bent barrels I straightened out on an M59/66 and turned it into a faux M1A SOCOM? Well I ended up selling it when I went to CA cause it wasn't Cali legal. banghead1 dash2
Anyway, I am basically rebuilding this into a similar setup cause I never should have sold the other one. Hopefully this will shoot as nice as the other one did.

I have a SKS Sporter (takes AK-47 Mags) in similar condition that needs re-bluing, what bluing brand did you use, and what is your bluing steps you take?  I have Brownells Oxpho-Blue because of the reviews I've read online.

I've used Oxpho-Blue before when I worked at a gunsmith shop as well as Birchwood Casey's Perma Blue. THey are both good but don't take as well to Chinese steel on the SKS as I'd like so this time around I am using Birchwood Casey's Super Blue which gives a deeper darker blue than the other two. More black than blue actually. I like it for Comm-block firearms.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2020, 01:37:48 PM »
It's cleaning up better than I thought it would. I'd "slick" it up like you are doing and not do anything else to it. Marcus

Yeah, I almost had buyer's remorse on this one when I got it in. A little rougher in person than in the pics. Gonna be my hunting rifle. The x39 SP rounds work great around here for Deer.

owenj492

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2020, 05:43:27 PM »

Yes, you may remember the project post(s) I had from several years back with the bent barrels I straightened out on an M59/66 and turned it into a faux M1A SOCOM? Well I ended up selling it when I went to CA cause it wasn't Cali legal. banghead1 dash2
Anyway, I am basically rebuilding this into a similar setup cause I never should have sold the other one. Hopefully this will shoot as nice as the other one did.

I've used Oxpho-Blue before when I worked at a gunsmith shop as well as Birchwood Casey's Perma Blue. THey are both good but don't take as well to Chinese steel on the SKS as I'd like so this time around I am using Birchwood Casey's Super Blue which gives a deeper darker blue than the other two. More black than blue actually. I like it for Comm-block firearms.

Thanks for the advice!  thumb1

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2020, 03:29:49 PM »
Owenj492 had asked me about the process steps I take when cold bluing and I missed that part of his question. So, here it is;

The basic steps are usually included in the packaging with which ever brand of cold bluing you use. Clean, coat, rinse off, repeat as needed.
The additional things I do are as follows;
CLEANING - I like to use Brakekleen(red can) as it will cut through about anything your firearm part can be gunked up with and leaves no residue. I will do an initial cleaning with it(outside for odors, etc) then I will take the part to the bench grinder and take a wire wheel(finer and wider is better as it leaves less streaking in the metal) to it to remove all existing bluing and any rust, burrs, etc. Then I go back outside for another spray of the Brakekleen. It is now ready for the bluing.

BLUING - I prefer to use the wood stick swabs they sell for cleaning, but if you don't have those then Q-tips work just as well. Apply liberal amounts onto the swab and then wipe onto the part(keep the swab wet. It is the same mentality as keeping your paint brush loaded). I like to use a single stroke down the length of the part when possible, kind of like painting, when entire part is coated then I look for light spots and, keeping the surface wet, will work on getting a good even coat. This will include working the swab in a circular motion after the initial strokes. Once the entire surface is coated I leave it for 30-60 seconds then go wash it off with cold water rubbing the entire surface with my fingers and thumb to remove any powdery build up left from the bluing chemical.
I will then, after drying the part off, go back over it repeating the bluing process until I am satisfied with the evenness of the bluing and it has achieved the color darkness I want. This usually can be achieved in 2 coats which is what I did for the parts I blued on this rifle. Remember the harder the steel and the more alloy it has on it the harder it can be to blue. A bolt carrier is going to be harder to blue than the receiver cover or a magazine.

FINISHING TOUCH - After I have completed my final wash and dry on the part I will take the part and rub it down with a light coat of gun oil(NOT CLP). That is where the light sheen comes from you see in the pics.

Anyway, for anyone interested. That is my process.

owenj492

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2020, 05:59:54 PM »
Once again thank you for the advice!

Online Shoot The Refurbs

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Marksman
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2020, 06:02:17 PM »
Nice job GG, I can already tell she's going to look great!  thumb1

Offline Matchka

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2020, 08:16:18 PM »
Damn fine job so far! Doing a resto, strictly for hunting - clean up, weatherproof as required, load and fire.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2020, 08:24:04 PM »
Once again thank you for the advice!

You are quite welcome. Hope that answers your question.

And thanks fellas

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2020, 10:35:52 PM »
Soo, this is where I was at when I cam across my dream rifle, a CZ-527 American in 7.62x39(see my thread in Bolt Actions). What should I do with it now?

I pulled the scope back off to put it on the CZ, but that is all. Options are Shernic Bullpup, but I'm left handed. I could find a different stock and do one of my folder setups, or get another scope and finish it the way I originally intended, thoughts?

« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 11:37:39 AM by Greatguns »

Offline agrace

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2020, 11:45:35 PM »
Since you mentioned you missed the first one built this way. I would finish the original plan and continue on as you intended. Just my thoughts. 😀
I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2020, 08:37:40 AM »
Since you mentioned you missed the first one built this way. I would finish the original plan and continue on as you intended. Just my thoughts. 😀

agrace, how are you? Been a while, good to see you around.(good to be around too, I know I have been awol for a while) :)

Offline auskip07

• Rifleman
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2020, 09:13:18 PM »
im also having good success with super blue touching up parts and pieces. 

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2020, 11:04:38 PM »
Super Blue is pretty good stuff, I redid an entire Russian in it, from the white...it kind of surprises me that they offer two different kinds of cold blue, when one is far superior to the other.  They must have barrels of the old stuff they are hoping to phase out of existence into the market.  The difference is night and day.

My method differs a bit though, If I don't fully strip down to the white using the handy Birchwood Casey rust and blue remover, I generally follow the directions..... But if I am in the white, and clean beyond clean, I will use the Super Blue, but I slow/stop the reaction first by hosing it down in Rem Oil...and then rinsing in hot water, then cold.  Blast dry with a compressor, a little smoothing with 0000 wool and then repeat after reheating with a hair dryer or heat gun.  I find the results to be more even and authentic in color, closer to a real bluing job.

Offline auskip07

• Rifleman
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2020, 06:39:37 AM »
Yep,  my method was pretty simple, buff with a 3x steel wood and then  degrease with mineral spirits ,   apply with q tip and then dunk in water after 30 seconds  i havent felt the need to go back and re apply another round.    Then i put some oil on the surface  and let it sit for a day.    so far they all have come out even and richly covered