Author Topic: Good-bye Choate Conventional Stock(not goodbye after all)  (Read 2204 times)

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
Good-bye Choate Conventional Stock(not goodbye after all)
« on: February 19, 2021, 01:08:02 PM »
Don't know if you all have heard by now or not, but Choate Machine and tool is only producing the Dragunov stock at this time. They quit making the others (folding and telescopic) and the mold for the conventional stock cracked and they are not getting it replaced or fixed. That means the only conventional stock left in production is the dreaded ATI 'righthand dedicated' Monte Carlo stock.

Having said that, I am happy in the consolation that I just latched onto what I think may be the last, new in the package, ODG Choate Conventional stock on the market. Did a search to latch onto a black one and found one on Ken Arnold's website. I thought to call to confirm availability and he stated the black ones were gone but he had 1 ODG left, which I promptly paid for. Should get it end of next week.

The ODG ones are even harder to find as they quit producing those a number of years back. Now I'm going to have to build another SKS around this stock, LOL.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 02:53:09 PM by Greatguns »
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Online echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
Re: Good-bye Choate Conventional Stock
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2021, 01:40:10 PM »
I just sent my last Choate to a kid over on the banning site. Shipped with an ATI HG. Choate had a couple nice HG styles a 4 slot, a 6 slot, and a no vent. The no vent is actually vented for the entire length, it's not shaped down to the stock, slightly elevated. Looks pretty cool. See below mounted on a Butler Creek. You can see it's elevated somewhat. I thought it would run too hot until I installed it.  All their HGs are marked "FRONT" and tapered, subtle but cool. I have one of their Drags stocks, 2 ATI Drags, and a Ramline left in my project heap. PAX 

You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2021, 01:52:28 PM »
Is that the Choate raised HG coupled with the Butler Creek stock in your pics?

The Ken Harold site also shows he has a Choate ODG Dragunov stock on hand. If anyone is looking.

https://www.kenarnoldcsa.com/sksdragunovstockgreen.aspx
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline lowell66dart

• Marksman
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2021, 05:47:07 PM »
Guess I better hang on to mine. Sure wish it was OD green. Here's some pics of my spares. I got the urban camo in a trade a few weeks back. It's been done for years and holding up well. It's growing on me. The other wood stock has been shortened and looks to be commercial before Bubba got the saw out. Thinking about some pegs and make a hat rack for the gunroom.

I have to grow old but I don't have to grow up...

Online echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2021, 07:17:54 PM »
The wood guy looks like it could be an inletted Paratrooper stock. Still salvageable for other Bubba works. PAX
  You need a crew  

But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2021, 11:44:09 PM »
I'm thinkin' that thing is screaming for a grind to fit Limbsaver buttpad.

Offline lowell66dart

• Marksman
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2021, 10:08:31 AM »
It actually came with a Limbsaver.  The PO cut it for his son to hunt with. I saw a buck on the wall that he got when I bought the rifle it came with.
I have to grow old but I don't have to grow up...

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
Re: Good-bye Choate Conventional Stock-(Hold the presses)
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2021, 11:39:04 AM »
I heard some scuttle-butt that Choate had decided to rebuild the mold for their conventional stock.

I am happy to say that they did indeed rebuild it and are back in inventory with their conventional SKS stock. They are also continuing production of the M4 and folding stocks. Sorry, no Dragunov stocks, but at least we have a good option as opposed to the ATI Monte Carlo stock.

Online echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2021, 02:22:09 PM »
Is that the Choate raised HG coupled with the Butler Creek stock in your pics?

It is Choate's "No Vent" HG. It is raised making for a vent the entire length. Has a nice profile and is a subtle change. Looks good with a 5 round mag. PAX
  You need a crew  

Offline Bubbazinetti

• MAGA Patriot
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Marksman
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2021, 03:57:01 PM »
I heard some scuttle-butt that Choate had decided to rebuild the mold for their conventional stock.

I am happy to say that they did indeed rebuild it and are back in inventory with their conventional SKS stock. They are also continuing production of the M4 and folding stocks. Sorry, no Dragunov stocks, but at least we have a good option as opposed to the ATI Monte Carlo stock.

Good to know. Thanks for the update on this.
When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2021, 04:11:10 PM »

Good to know. Thanks for the update on this.

Yeah, I got curious so I called. Spoke with a nice older lady who kind of chuckled when I asked then said "yes our mold did get ruined and we had a new one made so are back in production. We are only producing black stocks though, no more colors"

Offline Marcus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
Re: Good-bye Choate Conventional Stock(not goodbye after all)
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2021, 02:49:26 PM »
Ramline folder that came on the Bubba'ed early Chinese I am restoring.

I have to admit that it does make  the rifle kind of handy and easier to remove from plain sight....kind of like one of those AK pistols, but with a longer barrel.

But I really don't need it and I haven't checked to see if   overall length makes it legal for me to put on a rifle here in California