Author Topic: Did/does Lapua make 7.62x39 AP rounds for sale to public?  (Read 3287 times)

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
Did/does Lapua make 7.62x39 AP rounds for sale to public?
« on: October 28, 2017, 07:58:55 AM »
I just ran across an auction on GB for 20 rd "sample packs" of BLACK TIP 7.62x39 armor piercing rounds. Thy're a "bit" pricey, so I thought i'd ask if they're real, or a scam?

The GB auction in question:

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/712785215

I posted this here because I'm asking about the general possibility of the true existence of the rd., legality, etc. Not really trying to purposely advertise the auction, but if it needs to be moved, so be it.

firstchoice

Online Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
Re: Did/does Lapua make 7.62x39 AP rounds for sale to public?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 09:50:37 AM »
You rarely see standard their 7.62x39 fmj ball ammo anywhere. And I have never seen black-tips for sale.

With the 20rd boxes of Lapua tagged at $30-$40 each, I  would guess that AP rounds would be expensive too. But not that expensive.

Real or not, the price alone makes lends a fair amount of scam-worthiness to the sale. 

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 11:02:43 AM »
Bumpfire stock in his key words  rofl Trying to bring in more traffic to his listing. I vote black paint but who knows.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 12:19:02 PM »
There was a black tipped Lapua.. but it wasn't much in the way of armor piercing. I believe it was basically a steel core round, might have been hardend vs. a mild steel core. But, the x39 is not a high pressure high velocity round so thats not helping it, you end up with the equivalent of say a .30-30 with steel core. It is kind of mundane when you compare it with other centerfire rounds with steel cores, a x54r, 8mm, or even .30-06 M2 black tip. It would rank maybe with Chinese x39 steel cored and Russian x39 steel core. Now, there is a Russian x39 round API-BZ, it has a tungsten core.

It is banned from importation,....as for legality on having it, I cant imagine when there is a crap ton of .30-06 black tip AP ammo available on the market, now, certain states it's legality may be questionable.
US Code Title 18 Section 921
(B) The term “armor piercing ammunition” means—

(i) a projectile or projectile core which may be used in a handgun and which is constructed entirely (excluding the presence of traces of other substances) from one or a combination of tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass, bronze, beryllium copper, or depleted uranium; or
(ii) a full jacketed projectile larger than .22 caliber designed and intended for use in a handgun and whose jacket has a weight of more than 25 percent of the total weight of the projectile.

So you can legally have depleted uranium bullets in some weird caliber like .338 lapua magnum or .600Nitro Express as long as there is no handgun that also fires that round. Again....depends on state and local laws.

Ammo myths are funny.. the same aura surrounds Black Talon ammo.. 40-60 dollars or more a box.... it's still pretty much available today, just in a different box and with a different look... Winchester SXT and later, Winchester PDX1 bonded.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 12:23:29 PM »
It's legit...just not very common.