Author Topic: 2-Can Stove  (Read 5742 times)

Offline Worm

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
2-Can Stove
« on: February 03, 2015, 01:17:23 AM »
Not sure how many of us are campers or backpackers here, but I find this to be a great idea.

Whenever I go out, since I don't use propane stoves or anything of the sort, I always use a small fire to cook food. Never really thought of fastening together a small $2 stove that doesn't require as much or as large of fuel.

Should give me somethin to do tomorrow.

Offline armedhippie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • Love your family and keep your powder dry.
Re: 2-Can Stove
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 08:36:06 AM »
Interesting. If you give it a try tell us how it works. I'm a long time camper and try to try something new, like this, every time I go. I still keep a metal coffee can around for cooking similar to this.

1 thing I'll always try to have is a "Troll pole", about a 3' section of metal pipe or tubing, 1/2" to 3/4" diameter. For blowing air into the heart of the fire. Works fantastic in damp or wet conditions to really "breath life" into a weak fire.
Hippies are like stray cats...Feed 'em once and they never leave...then they stink up your couch.

Online Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 09:54:43 AM »
Thats how we stoke up our wood burning stove Hippie. Only have to just crack the door open a bit.

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Carl in CT

• Right Wing Extremist
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Marksman
  • Violating safe spaces everywhere
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 10:12:20 AM »
Interesting. If you give it a try tell us how it works. I'm a long time camper and try to try something new, like this, every time I go. I still keep a metal coffee can around for cooking similar to this.

1 thing I'll always try to have is a "Troll pole", about a 3' section of metal pipe or tubing, 1/2" to 3/4" diameter. For blowing air into the heart of the fire. Works fantastic in damp or wet conditions to really "breath life" into a weak fire.

Or if you are burning brush at home, a long steel pipe going into the fire and the other end attached to a leaf blower. Works great, makes a 5 hour brush burn into a 2-3 hour brush burn.

That's a nifty little camp stove though, maybe I'll try it out. I would imagine you could even make a little bigger one if you wanted with bigger cans but I suppose that just makes it more to carry around.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 10:20:15 AM by Carl in CT »
It's sad that the motto of young Americans isn't "live free or die" or "I regret that I have but one life to give for my country" or even "ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country". Instead their motto is "pee yourself, shelter in place and cry for help". Pathetic.

Offline armedhippie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • Love your family and keep your powder dry.
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 10:50:54 AM »
Thats cool LC, Been doing it so long out in the woods, never thought about using it in a wood burning stove. Bet it works great.

Carl, If you hear about a Blue Ridge Mountain on fire....You'll know the leaf blower got away from me... :))

There is 1 trick I learned when I was young, that I break out every year kinda as a "bar bet"...

Cooking biscuits in a cardboard box. I use a dutch oven most of the time but you can take a cardboard box and cut 1 side off, line the inside with a few layers of aluminum foil, line the "side/door" and fasten some type of ledge for holding a rack or baking sheet, on the inside. Put hot coals or charcoal inside, put your biscuits in, and prop/fasten the side back, poke a couple holes around the bottom for air and...Presto  Biscuits in the woods.
Hippies are like stray cats...Feed 'em once and they never leave...then they stink up your couch.

Offline Worm

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 11:27:49 AM »
Thanks guys,

Hippie, I'm making one up either tonight or tomorrow, I'll be sure to let you guys know how it works. I like the troll pole idea, gonna have to have one while I'm out now  :)

Carl, slightly larger cans is exactly what I was thinking, I got one of the large size Bush's baked beans and a slightly smaller size too. I'll take pics when it's all done. I figure a little bit bigger can't hurt, and I have just enough size to fit in the straps on the side of my backpack  thumb1

Online Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 11:31:17 AM »
We use a 2.5' section of light weight conduit pipe.  Been sticking it in the fire for years with no structural change to the pipe.

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Worm

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 12:46:06 PM »
We use a 2.5' section of light weight conduit pipe.  Been sticking it in the fire for years with no structural change to the pipe.

Good to know, never even thought of that