Author Topic: Is This Made This Way Or Refurb?  (Read 696 times)

Online echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
Is This Made This Way Or Refurb?
« on: May 05, 2023, 12:18:34 AM »
Hi Guys,

Not really savvy on Russians but this looks like an as built '53 laminate. I can't make out any refurb stampings. PAX
https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=27816421#post27816421
« Last Edit: May 05, 2023, 06:47:04 AM by echo1 »
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Re: Is This Made This W Or Refurb?ay
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2023, 05:00:29 AM »
I believe I see an Arsenal 1 Balakleya refurbishment mark on the receiver cover partially obscured by glare about 3 cm under the 53. A laminate stock on a 1953 is a sure sign of refurbishment. Looks like the receiver cover has been reblued during refurbishment, as it’s missing the three-tone appearance from the front and rear annealing. Nevertheless, a nice looking gun.

A picture of the serial number on the back of the receiver cover to see if it’s original (matching font). The other missing numbers, including the gas tube and piston, and bolt carrier group would be needed to see if it’s matching. If so, that price may be in the ballpark for a very good condition Tula in California. I don’t really know the CA market, and I’ve been out of the national market on Russians for a year.

Online echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
Re: Is This Made This Way Or Refurb?
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2023, 06:46:14 AM »
Thanks Phos, kinda what I was thinking. He says it's matching. If the fella goes for it, I offered a straight trade for a Paratrooper.
Here in Kali that would be a push ducats wise, thanks again. It is good looking. PAX
« Last Edit: May 05, 2023, 06:51:40 AM by echo1 »
  You need a crew  

But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • SQUIRREL!!! Camp Lejuene Water Survivor.
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2023, 07:31:34 AM »
I also make out a triangle on the stock in the second picture.

Online echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2023, 09:55:45 AM »
Thanks B, near the blemish on the butt, PAX
  You need a crew  

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2023, 11:42:35 AM »
It certainly has the characteristics of a '53 with the early tabbed gas tube takedown lever.  Definitely a refurb though.  Those yellow/amber laminate stocks, irregardless of what gun they are on, are the immediate tell.  Carbines with ruby red laminates on letter guns, those are much more difficult to discern.  I suspect that some of the metal may be reblued like P32 suggests too.

"PB" prefix is not one I have a ton of in the database.  The only confirmed years I see in a quick search are '49, '53 Izhevsk, & '56 with a strongly suspected group of three refurb '51s in there with all '51 characteristics.  I don't have a '53 Tula with this prefix, but that probably only means I haven't seen it.  The full year between '51 to '53 would be the minimum expected progression needed to reuse this prefix too, so '53 is the most logical guess here. 

Online echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2023, 02:07:54 PM »
The fella passed on the trade, which was the only way it would have worked for me ducats wise. Just as well, I got to thinking about the Kali DOJ. They have been issuing "Delay Delivery" status randomly on a lot of the 4473 paperwork recently according to a thread on Calguns. Besides the stupid 10 day cooling off period, the delay adds 30 more days, and I'll be in Idaho at that time. Thanks all, PAX
  You need a crew  

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2023, 03:29:01 PM »
Heck man, find a nice FFL/shop in Idaho and get whatever you want up there ;) 

The deals are only going to get better and better over the next year if things keep going like they are... 

Online echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2023, 03:48:01 PM »
Heck man, find a nice FFL/shop in Idaho and get whatever you want up there ;) 

The deals are only going to get better and better over the next year if things keep going like they are...

My off time is spent at gun shops, thrift stores, pawn shops, and museums within a hundred miles of our strip  8). I have people there and my son lives in the Coeur d'Alene area. PAX
  You need a crew  

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2023, 08:48:38 PM »
Nice country around CdA! thumb1

Online echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2023, 11:35:55 PM »
Nice country around CdA! thumb1

I usually spend a week to 10 days in Rathdrum, just north of CDA, after we shut down and I'm on my way home. My bud has property in a couple places up there. The panhandle is my favorite area of the state and I've spent time there since the '80's. This will be my 5th season in Idaho and on the slack days I've gone to the Tetons, Yellowstone, Shoshone Falls, Lava Hot Springs and close in spots. While flyin around the countryside there's been coyotes, antelope, elk, deer and buffalo. I'd move there if I wasn't so intrenched in Kali. PAX
  You need a crew  

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2023, 06:52:42 PM »
Nice! I’ve been through Rathdrum a couple of times. I love Nadine’s Mexican Kitchen  thumb1

Online echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2023, 07:16:58 PM »
Nice! I’ve been through Rathdrum a couple of times. I love Nadine’s Mexican Kitchen  thumb1

My son and I had some enchiladas there the last time I was in Rathdrum  ;)!!! PAX
  You need a crew