Author Topic: Yugo Firing Pin Issue  (Read 1024 times)

Offline High Noon

• Watching the clock.
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
Yugo Firing Pin Issue
« on: September 23, 2022, 10:56:53 PM »
Working on a Yugo and wanted to ask for some advice.... 🤔

Previous owner told me he never fired it, but it is a nice looking rifle.  Has a rubber butt plate, cleaning kit but no spring.  ???

The bolt didn't pass my "shake test" so I decided to take out the firing pin. It was quite difficult to get out - lots of carbon and there seemed to be a burr/rough spot on top.  Couldn't pull it out by hand...  Got it cleaned up and tried to reinstall the pin, but it didn't go in easy.  Have to twist it some.

I ever so gently tried to file the burr off (just a few light passes).  Went back in easier this time however it still isn't real smooth.  It will shake now, but will hang up in the rearward position, so the firing pin isn't showing on the front.  A gentile push with my finger and it returns to the normal position.

Burr area highlighted.

What do you think?  Should I replace the pin if (if can find one) or try to ensure it's smooth with the least amount of filing?

Thank you!

« Last Edit: September 24, 2022, 08:46:35 PM by High Noon »

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
Re: Yugo Firing Pin Issue
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2022, 11:27:48 PM »
Looks like someone put it back together with the pin turned a little and forced the retainer then forced the pin straight to finish putting it together.

Unless the pin is bent I wouldn't be afraid to continue the de-burring. It is not supposed to be an exact fit and as long as the retainer doesn't cause the pin to hang up after your repair I think it will be good to go. It is supposed to have play and be loose. As long as the channel is clean and clear of burrs with the pin being straight and allowed to move freely you should be okay.

Be sure to check the channel and the retainer for burrs as well.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Online Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2022, 01:50:23 PM »
Check for burrs inside the fp channel too. Just swab it with a Q-tip to see if it gets hung up or pulled apart.

Firing pins are cheap. Might be a good idea to get one or several. Easy to find online and, depending on where you live, they can often be found at gun shows.

Offline High Noon

• Watching the clock.
  • Marksman
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2022, 02:51:53 PM »
Check for burrs inside the fp channel too. Just swab it with a Q-tip to see if it gets hung up or pulled apart.

Firing pins are cheap. Might be a good idea to get one or several. Easy to find online and, depending on where you live, they can often be found at gun shows.

Thanks Boris...

Used a small round file in the FP slot to remove carbon and any burrs.   It appears to be okay and now the qtips come out clean.  They were full of "cosmo-carbon crud".

I have found the Murray one, with the spring.  Ebay has original style FPs, but haven't seen the triangular ones.  I can use the Chinese style right?  One ebay ad says they are oval - I think that would be Chinese?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2022, 02:57:48 PM by High Noon »

Offline High Noon

• Watching the clock.
  • Marksman
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2022, 02:57:28 PM »
Looks like someone put it back together with the pin turned a little and forced the retainer then forced the pin straight to finish putting it together.

Unless the pin is bent I wouldn't be afraid to continue the de-burring. It is not supposed to be an exact fit and as long as the retainer doesn't cause the pin to hang up after your repair I think it will be good to go. It is supposed to have play and be loose. As long as the channel is clean and clear of burrs with the pin being straight and allowed to move freely you should be okay.

Be sure to check the channel and the retainer for burrs as well.

Thanks GG.

I used a small round file in the FP hole - so it should be good.

Will see what I can do with this FP and try to be easy but smooth it out.  If I can find a replacement Yugo (or Chinese that will work), I will buy some to have on hand as I don't have any spares.

Offline High Noon

• Watching the clock.
  • Marksman

Offline Dedeagach

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2022, 04:07:37 PM »
Yea those looked cheaper than usual

Offline High Noon

• Watching the clock.
  • Marksman
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2022, 05:12:35 PM »
Yea those looked cheaper than usual

Yep - for that price, I couldn't pass on them.  clap1

Offline High Noon

• Watching the clock.
  • Marksman
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2022, 03:49:54 PM »
They arrived and have FREE cosmoline!!!   Hopefully I can install one and test it within the next few weeks.

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2022, 01:52:24 AM »
I can't tell from the picture, HN, is that the round, fluted style FP? These are the ones from AIM?

firstchoice

Offline High Noon

• Watching the clock.
  • Marksman
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2022, 09:27:13 PM »
I can't tell from the picture, HN, is that the round, fluted style FP? These are the ones from AIM?

firstchoice

Yes they are from AIM. Its not the triangular type that was in it - appears to be a rounded Chinese type.  I'm no expert on firing pins......

Switched out the mangled one, but haven't had chance to try it. Now it passes the shake test and doesn't get stuck in the rearward position.