Author Topic: Irwin Pedersen M1 Carbine  (Read 1261 times)

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Irwin Pedersen M1 Carbine
« on: December 17, 2021, 09:04:16 PM »
Apparently there was at least one of the rare Irwin Pedersen M1 Carbines in the recent batch of ~3100 Italian Carabinieri carbines imported by PW Arms and mostly sold by Midway in June 2021. Dan's Sporting Goods has a small batch of selected carbines, as posted a couple of weeks ago. I saw this one listed about 1.5 weeks ago and was excited enough that I bought it sight unseen (well, actually I saw some pictures before it shipped). It arrived on Saturday. (The import marking is fairly discreet and gently applied under the barrel at the muzzle end.)

Listing of parts below. The Irwin Pedersen receiver has a correct and likely original Underwood January 1943 barrel, with an N marked IP sight with a characteristic sight correction (filing) marking on the left. A type 1 IP barrel band either survived the rebuild, or more unlikely, they grabbed an IP barrel band out of the basket of barrel bands and got a scarce IP band by chance. The refurbishment may have occurred at FN or at a US Army field refurbishment facility in Europe (no US Arsenal rebuild markings), I can see IRWIN on the left and SEN on the right. The camera couldn't capture quite as much as my eyes could. The rest of the parts are a mix. The bore is great and the Muzzle Erosion gauged at 1+ (.301).

The left buttstock had a paper name tag affixed with ancient cellophane tape with aged crumbling adhesive. It fell off upon touching it. It's a miracle it survived the import and handling. I preserved it by stowing it under the buttplate.

Irwin Pedersen
•   1765087 irwin-Pedersen marked receiver
•   UP barrel band
•   N front sight with filing correction number on left side

Underwood
•   1/43 barrel
•   AU recoil plate
•   IU magazine

Quality Hardware
•   EM-Q bolt body

Inland
•   PI milled rear sight

IBM
•   BR-B trigger housing
•   LW-B handguard

Winchester
•   W firing pin
•   IW extractor
•   W hammer
•   NW magazine catch
•   W operating slide

J marked stock (purported to be a wartime replacement stock marking)

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
Re: Irwin Pedersen M1 Carbine
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2021, 09:29:10 PM »
Cool tag, isn't that Italian for Faith(faithful) Angel? Wonder if it was  the guys name who used it or what?

BTW, the rest of the gun ain't too bad either. Now all you need is the correct sling and cleaning kit for the buttstock.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2021, 09:50:49 PM »
Cool tag, isn't that Italian for Faith(faithful) Angel? Wonder if it was  the guys name who used it or what?

BTW, the rest of the gun ain't too bad either. Now all you need is the correct sling and cleaning kit for the buttstock.

I was reading it as Fidelamceli but now that you say that, Fidelangeli makes sense  thumb1 Interesting.

Thanks! WWII slings have gotten scarce and pricey. I'll probably end up just acquiring and installing a Korean/Vietnam era canvas sling and whatever original oiler I can find, at least until I run across a WWII sling for less than $100.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2021, 11:30:55 AM by Phosphorus32 »

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • SQUIRREL!!! Camp Lejuene Water Survivor.
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2021, 09:58:19 AM »
Excellent IP, Jon!!  Great luck with the UP Type 1 BB.  Great finish!!

Offline echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2021, 11:47:53 AM »
Nice snag!!! PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2021, 11:54:29 AM »
Excellent IP, Jon!!  Great luck with the UP Type 1 BB.  Great finish!!

Thanks! Yeah I’m not complaining about the condition. The matching color walnut furniture and finish on the metal is great.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2021, 04:06:27 PM by Phosphorus32 »

Offline Cz315

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Marksman
  • The only way to avoid gun N is to avoid gun N-1
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2021, 07:49:56 PM »
 thumb1

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2021, 09:48:54 PM »

Online Papahound

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Rifleman
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2023, 12:06:08 AM »

Very nice catch  thumb1

I had several years ago , just have this one now .. mostly IP parts , Buffalo Arms barrel , high wood stock with I cut oiler slot , I had about 17 of the War Baby rifles once , I think I’m down to about 6 now  :(

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2023, 04:19:11 PM »
Very nice! That's only about 800 from the lowest serial number in the first IP block. Love the flip sight, push button safety from IP's subcontractor, etc.

I have 2-3 carbines with high wood stocks but none with the early I-cut oiler slot.

Online 1mlt

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Marksman
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2023, 05:03:15 PM »
"Guns", any gun is a personal thing. I saw an M1 carbine when I was in my early 20's. Fell in love. Finally purchased one in my 60's. Took her to the range. Immediately, I felt that round was anemic and sold it. To each his own I guess. I'm not sure I can name "a favorite" gun. There are many "favs" in the safe. The one that hovers around number 1 is the M96 Swedish Mauser. Piece of art, deadly past 500 yards in the right hands. I am also fond of my AR10. There's just something about the .308 round that makes it shine. JMHO opinion and we all know about that, opinions an AH's, everyone has one.
There is but one language in the USA, English.
Teddy R.

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2023, 05:55:16 PM »
"Guns", any gun is a personal thing. I saw an M1 carbine when I was in my early 20's. Fell in love. Finally purchased one in my 60's. Took her to the range. Immediately, I felt that round was anemic and sold it. To each his own I guess. I'm not sure I can name "a favorite" gun. There are many "favs" in the safe. The one that hovers around number 1 is the M96 Swedish Mauser. Piece of art, deadly past 500 yards in the right hands. I am also fond of my AR10. There's just something about the .308 round that makes it shine. JMHO opinion and we all know about that, opinions an AH's, everyone has one.

Very true.  Like you, I love the M/96 and M/38 Swedes. Have a bunch of semiautomatic 7.62x51mm rifles but not the AR-10. It's a great round.  :)

The M1 Carbine is interesting to me from a collecting (historical) perspective. It is an anemic round for a rifle, which makes it a great shooter for my recoil sensitive family members, wife and daughter.

The US Army Ordnance competition that led to the M1 Carbine had the purpose of replacing the M1911 for non-front line troops like artillery crews, heavy weapons squad members (machine guns, mortars), truck drivers, etc. to provide them a firearm with increased combat effectiveness relative to a pistol that experience indicated caused very few casualties. A cartridge that has the ballistic energy of a light .44 magnum but shoots flatter and farther was a good (not perfect) intermediate round for the role. The short and lightweight aspect of the carbine was also very intentional. The original requirement was no more than 5 lbs and Winchester achieved that with their design.

Online 1mlt

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Marksman
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2023, 04:32:21 PM »

Very true.  Like you, I love the M/96 and M/38 Swedes. Have a bunch of semiautomatic 7.62x51mm rifles but not the AR-10. It's a great round.  :)

The M1 Carbine is interesting to me from a collecting (historical) perspective. It is an anemic round for a rifle, which makes it a great shooter for my recoil sensitive family members, wife and daughter.

The US Army Ordnance competition that led to the M1 Carbine had the purpose of replacing the M1911 for non-front line troops like artillery crews, heavy weapons squad members (machine guns, mortars), truck drivers, etc. to provide them a firearm with increased combat effectiveness relative to a pistol that experience indicated caused very few casualties. A cartridge that has the ballistic energy of a light .44 magnum but shoots flatter and farther was a good (not perfect) intermediate round for the role. The short and lightweight aspect of the carbine was also very intentional. The original requirement was no more than 5 lbs and Winchester achieved that with their design.
IF I had only one choice for a rifle it would be the M96. Defense at distance, food, and death, etc. A kid could shoot it accurately. My opinion is it is better than the German K98's.
There is but one language in the USA, English.
Teddy R.