Author Topic: Tell me about my Navy blaster.  (Read 3401 times)

Offline Bird

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
Tell me about my Navy blaster.
« on: October 11, 2021, 09:38:04 AM »
On a visit to the Knob Creek Machine Gun Shoot back in 1990 I visited Paul Reed at his Navy Arms table in the vendors area.  Paul had several commercial Chinese rifles in different configurations for sale. This one caught my eye and followed me home...

pic uploader

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
Re: Tell me about my Navy blaster.
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2021, 10:46:59 AM »
I would say, being a Navy arms, and given the scope rail w/missing mount & scope that it is probably either an incomplete Sharpshooter or PU Sniper. Takes a Type-89 scope mount and I think it also came with a barrel clamp mounted bi-pod.

Also, just an FYI, the bayonet is on upside-down. The single protrusion on the spike goes up when folded so it fits into the notch on the lower stock ferrule.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Online echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2021, 02:07:49 PM »
Other than the missing bits and bayo, looks nice. PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline Bird

• Newber
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2021, 02:18:34 PM »
More pictures...

image hosting

That's the rifle...nice, clean numbers matching shooter.  And here's the scope that I purchased with the rifle...

Offline Bird

• Newber
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2021, 02:29:53 PM »

Offline Bird

• Newber
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2021, 02:38:40 PM »
Also, just an FYI, the bayonet is on upside-down. The single protrusion on the spike goes up when folded so it fits into the notch on the lower stock ferrule.

Thanks for that info, Greatguns...that's what I'm here for.  That will be corrected tonight.   thumb1

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2021, 03:54:04 PM »
Very nice acquisition with the scope and case  8)

https://sks-files.com/index.php?topic=1882.0

It's a commercial build that used a 9th year (1964) Jianshe Arsenal (triangle 26) as the foundation for the build.

Offline Bird

• Newber
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2021, 03:28:28 PM »

I have always held that the scope and mount weren't really too desirable.  They seem rather cheap.  But I have had the scope mounted on the rifle and it does improve my shooting out to certain distances. 

Being that this setup isn't one of Navy Arms marketed rifles, (Farmers Friend, Cowboy Companion, etc.) would the value diminished?

Offline BMont

• Marksman
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2021, 03:45:53 PM »
I think any commercial sks collector would probably gobble that up with the rifle, scope and mount pretty quickly if they didnt have one. 

Online echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2021, 05:57:15 PM »
If you decide to separate the scope, I'd be interested, but I wouldn't split up the set. PAX
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 06:03:26 PM by echo1 »
  You need a crew  

But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2021, 05:57:39 PM »

I have always held that the scope and mount weren't really too desirable.  They seem rather cheap.  But I have had the scope mounted on the rifle and it does improve my shooting out to certain distances. 

Being that this setup isn't one of Navy Arms marketed rifles, (Farmers Friend, Cowboy Companion, etc.) would the value diminished?

Bird, it IS a Navy Arms Marketed rifle. As I mentioned in my other post, it is one of 2 rifles from Navy Arms;
1. A Navy Arms Sharpshooter (S-S)
2. A Navy Arms PU Sniper

Now that I see the scope I would say it is probably a Navy Arms Sharpshooter (S-S) and is a desirable/collectible Commercial variant for any SKS collector.

Here is a link to more info http://chinesesks.weebly.com/navy-s-s.html
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline Bird

• Newber
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2021, 01:11:39 PM »
Bird, it IS a Navy Arms Marketed rifle. As I mentioned in my other post, it is one of 2 rifles from Navy Arms;
2. A Navy Arms PU Sniper

Now that I see the scope I would say it is probably a Navy Arms Sharpshooter (S-S) and is a desirable/collectible Commercial variant for any SKS collector.[/quote]

Looking at xxxsks...Joe's information, unless I am mistaken, he is saying that both the S-S and the PU Sniper were equipped with bipods.  This rifle did not have that accessory when I purchased it from Navy.  Would it still be classified as a S-S?

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2021, 01:39:48 PM »
2. A Navy Arms PU Sniper

Now that I see the scope I would say it is probably a Navy Arms Sharpshooter (S-S) and is a desirable/collectible Commercial variant for any SKS collector.

Looking at xxxsks...Joe's information, unless I am mistaken, he is saying that both the S-S and the PU Sniper were equipped with bipods.  This rifle did not have that accessory when I purchased it from Navy.  Would it still be classified as a S-S?

My opinion is that it would, just missing the bipod. Your rifle has all the markings of the spike bayonet version xxxsks Joe has in his pics sans the bipod. It is possible, speculation on my part, it was a late import and maybe they ran out of bipods so sent it without. BTW, those can be found from time to time on Ebay and GB if you want to complete the package.

Offline Bubbazinetti

• MAGA Patriot
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2021, 03:02:34 PM »
I have a Navy with the Type 89 scope mount rail of similar vintage that I ordered new and I know for sure that Navy Arms sold these SKS rifles as standard with that rail and the type 89 scope as a optional accessory at that time but I did not buy one for mine. There wasn't that many of those scopes imported before it was stopped and these rifles have what is called "the rail to nowhere" because so few of those type 89 scopes exist nevermind having the original case to go with them.
When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2021, 04:17:03 PM »
Hoping someone who is more savvy then me will chime in here, but I'm thinking this has a north of $1000 value as is. Find an OEM bipod and maybe $1500 (this based off of current market)

Offline Bird

• Newber
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2021, 04:23:02 PM »
Hoping someone who is more savvy then me will chime in here, but I'm thinking this has a north of $1000 value as is. Find an OEM bipod and maybe $1500 (this based off of current market)

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2021, 04:24:18 PM »
 rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl

Good Ole Kramer

Online echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2021, 07:13:14 PM »
I have a Navy with the Type 89 scope mount rail of similar vintage that I ordered new and I know for sure that Navy Arms sold these SKS rifles as standard with that rail and the type 89 scope as a optional accessory at that time but I did not buy one for mine. There wasn't that many of those scopes imported before it was stopped and these rifles have what is called "the rail to nowhere" because so few of those type 89 scopes exist nevermind having the original case to go with them.

Not exactly. NA bases have/had mounts available. It was KSI that had the "Nowhere Rail", with no known mount made for the base. Mine had the base screwed on so I was able to remove it and fit it to a T89 mount. Later I picked up A Cowboy Companion without a scope and put the T89 on it, and just removed the nowhere rail and plugged the holes with Allens. PAX 
  You need a crew  

Offline Bubbazinetti

• MAGA Patriot
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2021, 08:25:47 PM »
My rail is attached with two rivets that are flush on both sides.
When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns.

Online echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2021, 09:18:04 PM »
My rail is attached with two rivets that are flush on both sides.

I've seen them attached both with rivets and screws. The original furniture had a blade bayo slot filled in. Your rifle should say KSI Pomona on the right side. I've got 2 KSI Paratroopers, one HAD the rail and notched stock, the other didn't. PAX
  You need a crew