Author Topic: Storing your rifles  (Read 1480 times)

Offline carls sks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
Storing your rifles
« on: January 13, 2021, 03:36:38 PM »
was trying to make them all fit. limited space in safe. can you stand them up on barrel and stock(alternate to make them fit)?
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Online Cz315

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Marksman
  • The only way to avoid gun N is to avoid gun N-1
Re: Storing your rifles
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2021, 03:56:27 PM »
The idea has crossed my mind too. I'm running out of space. I'm using rifle rods (https://www.storemoreguns.com/rifle-rods-gun-rack-system/) and they work fine, but, sure, alternating stacking is the most efficient way. It'd be a pain to take stuff out and put it in every time, though

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2021, 03:58:18 PM »
Just want to be sure you are not damaging the muzzle whether by hard surface scraping or wicking moisture, etc.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2021, 04:02:29 PM »
My rifles are in 3 gun racks on the wall, a stand up rack, in 3 glassed cases, hanging from hooks, or displayed on bipods. This is most of the SKSs. There's 35 in there. PAX

You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2021, 03:01:46 PM »
Before my great sell off, I took the stuff I didn't use much and put them in socks and alternated up and down.
That worked pretty well for me.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline Rvulcan500

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2021, 12:40:18 AM »
I dont want to sound this way but back in the day I had 3 safes.  One just for pistols. One for C&R and one for my regular rifles and shotguns.  20yrs later I'm whittled down to one safe for all.
Luckily I'm able to stand them up on their buttplates.

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2021, 11:05:42 AM »
While I have entertained the notion...I don't have any safes at all.
I make my own wall hangars with scrap pieces of 1x4 and 3/4" dowel pieces....and keep them all on display.
That way I can enjoy them the 99.999% of the time I am not firing them. It also prevents me from buying more guitars...I have very little wall space left. :)

I don't have small children over...very few friends who come all the way out here to visit, and folk who are offended by them even less. Our neighborhood is pretty crummy...but it's mostly conservative poor white trash who respect their neighbors, and also expect everyone to be well armed.  If I lived elsewhere, I would likely be more likely to keep things under lock and key.  Security cameras covering the entire property also lend some piece of mind, for those very rare occasions when someone isn't home.

It doesn't hurt to be scary looking...I was recently described as a 'biker-type' by one of my daughter's boyfriend's mothers. I guess my ancient Polaris and Kawasaki quads make me look tough.  rofl