Author Topic: Other Tokarev pattern rifles  (Read 8890 times)

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
Other Tokarev pattern rifles
« on: October 13, 2014, 09:55:33 PM »
The Tokarev pattern rifles discussed here http://sks-files.com/german/24/hitlers-tokarev-the-g43-k43/201/ , the same basic design of the action can be found on other types. This will show just how similar the action is. A few other popular milsurp weapons share it, namely the SKS, Egyptian Hakim and the French Mas 49 series rifles and the FN-49.  Most know the SKS Carbine, but the Egyptian Hakim and Mas semi-auto rifles, many people never have had a look inside to the inner workings. These two rifles are a later stage generation of operating systems, namely the removal of the gas piston and operating piston in favor of the direct impingement gas operation.

The Egyptian Hakim, basically the Swedish developed the AG-42 Ljungman rifle in 6.5 Swede. Sometime in the early min 50's Sweden sold the machinery to manufacture the Ljungman to the Egyptian government. Egypt had extreme amounts of 8mm ammo left over from WWII and slightly redesigned the rifle to shoot 8mm Mauser. To get around the variations in ammo age and/or quality they incorporated an adjustable gas system. Very fun and a VERY LOUD, rifle to shoot, and with the gas system design and muzzle brake, recoil actually feels less than an SKS. And in noise category, this rifle easily gives the Mosin carbine a run for the money. The example here is a 4 digit serial, manufactured in '56 when production in Egypt started, they were produced throughout the mid 60's. The Egyptian Rasheed is a scaled down Hakim, in 7.62x39, with no gas adjustment and a folding bayonet. These rifles were possibly fielded in the Six-Day War between the United Arab States and Israel.

The French Mas 49/56, France started messing with the direct impingement system as early as 1938. After a successful rifle, the Mas 49 was developed and fielded, they took it to the next level in 1956, the Mas 49/56. Some stock changes and the addition of a gas shut off valve and grenade launcher was added. It's a very, simple rugged built rifle and consists of 6 moving parts.  Like the SKS and Hakim, the receiver is fully machined, and like the Hakim, it fires a full size rifle round. The 7.5 French is equivalent to the 7.62 Nato round. With the addition of the French APX scope, the mount is pre-installed, these can double as a Designated Marksmen rifle, or even be utilized as a sniper weapon. Commonly found anywhere the French military was, including Vietnam, Syria, and other conflicts. It was also a popular weapon used by the French Foreign Legion.

If you can field strip an SKS, these are no problem. However the Hakim takes some precaution, like a Garand, it can and will destroy a thumb.

The rifles:
Egyptian Hakim
Early 1950 Russian SKS
French Mas 49/56

Markings on each

Few comparison photos

Hakim Gas Port adjuster, muzzle brake and adjustable front sight

A little quirk with the Hakim, the safety lever is multi purpose

This the safe position, no finger crushing, as the bolt and carrier are locked back.

This is fire/release the bolt, any funny business in this position will leave a mark. The bolt and carrier are very heavy and backed buy a stout pair of springs. All that force and mass slamming forward can impale your what ever on the gas tube, which is fairly sharp. Beware!!!

Tear down position, with the bolt, carrier and cover locked together and slid forward, the safety will lift out and allow the action to come apart.

Mas 49/56 Grenade launcher, sight and muzzle brake

The actions open, looking very similar.

Actions closed, top covers popped and pulled back, and covers and recoil springs removed.

Back side of bolts and carriers, NOTE-release button for Mas rear cover. it is very tight fitting, push the button down, slide cover forward slightly and lift.

All three with bolts and carriers pulled, close up of the Hakim and Mas receiver, NOTE, all have last shot bolt hold open. And the gas port for the Hakim and Mas is plainly visible.

Now the meat and taters. the working parts. In all photos, the Hakim is on top, SKS is center and the Mas is lower

Exploded cover with springs and bolt/carrier

Recoil springs.  Hakim uses two very stout small springs, the Mas and single large heavy spring.

Rear covers, The Mas has the rear sight located there, the cover fits very tight when latched, In many years of owning and teardowns, I've never noticed a change in accuracy.

Carriers

Bolts

Bolts, the Hakim and Mas 49/56 firing pin have been pulled, the Hakim you remove an tapered pin, it's snug, but pushes out, the firing pin is 3 pieces, the firing pin, a firing pin extension and a firing pin spring. The Mas, you could swap in 2 seconds, once the bolt is free from the carrier, it falls right out. The Mas like the SKS is subject to slamfire, easily enough fixed, a small alteration and it's not a big issue.

[/img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/06uuko8j53s7cu9/SAM_1351_zps8fab503b.jpg?dl=0[/img]

Bolt face, extractors, bolt and carrier mated together for reassembly.

Hopefully this will help those who have never seen the inner workings of a Hakim or Mas semi-auto.

And no wise cracks about the French rifle. YOU, will pay dearly  bat1 bat1 bat1 thumb1
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 01:21:40 AM by Greasemonkey »
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Worm

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
Re: Other Tokarev pattern rifles
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 10:33:17 PM »
This REALLLLY makes me want a Mas 49/56. What a cool lookin' rifle. Thanks for the detailed comparison & history lesson!!  thumb1 You did work  clap1

Can't believe some of the similarities

Offline Worm

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 10:49:24 PM »
How's the grip:trigger on the Mas feel? Almost looks like it would be a stretch for my short, fat sausage fingers when comparing it to the SKS.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 11:08:35 PM »
It's not much different than holding the SKS, slightly more weight, not by much, but much better balance.

Offline Worm

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 11:14:10 PM »
Cool beans, Thank ya  thumb1

Offline Worm

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 11:34:26 PM »
MAS RANGE REPORT.

GO.

:))

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 11:42:37 PM »
Don't have a true Mas report, about the closest I can do is a report of my second Hakim, the targets, the left target was at 75yrds free hand, the right was at 50yrds.

My second Hakim, a 1958 with a darker stock.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 01:24:19 AM by Greasemonkey »

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 12:01:35 AM »
The Mas 49/56 above is my usual shooter, this one is my safe queen.   More stripes  thumb1

« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 01:26:14 AM by Greasemonkey »

Offline Worm

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2014, 12:22:01 AM »
Awesome rifles man. That Mas is gorgeous, so are the Hakims. Those rack markings look familiar too  :)

I like the dark stock on that second hakim

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2014, 03:29:12 PM »
Beautiful rifles GM! I especially like the looks of a Hakim.

Offline Blicero

• Always plays Bf8
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Hermann Goering is my copilot
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2014, 10:42:37 AM »
WHOA! How did I miss this one?
Great writeup, Monkey. Thanks for taking some time off from stalking Katy Perry to write this.

Some things I've learned with experience with these guns.

-I love the gas impingement system on the Hakim. With fewer moving parts, fewer things to break than on a piston-driven system, I trust the Hakim to be fully reliable. The only downside I see to it is the gasses and crud being spit back in your face with every shot. It's fairly disconcerting. If my life depended on that gun, I might come to despise that quirk.

-It's neat knowing how to operate the goofy safety system/charging handle/dust cover on the Hakim. It's like knowing a secret handshake or the password into a speakeasy. Watching people not in the know muddle around with it can be comical. How many times have you seen someone fiddling with one and thought "yeah, this dude's going to lose a finger"?  chuckles1

-I find the adjustable gas system a total hindrance on the Hakim, impractical for 99.99% of anybody's uses, soldier's, plinker's or otherwise. Trying to break loose the frozen/corroded valve is probably one of the biggest pains in the rear I've ever had to deal with on a milsurp.

-One of my gripes with the Hakim is the weight. Good God man it's like lugging an oak tree to the shooting bench. My scrawny infidel arms can't even hold one up long enough to shoot more than 3 rounds offhand. People think the Garand is burdensome due to its weight. Go grab a Hakim! The weight serves its purpose though in absorbing the mammoth 8mm round. Next to the lighter G43, the Hakim is pleasant to shoot.

-How many Frenchmen does it take to defend Paris?
Trick question. It's never been done.
Sorry, I had to.
The MAS is an impressive little semiauto, underrated likely because of its nationality or for the goofy oddball caliber it shoots. I've shot and handled a few of them, but never seen the inner workings, so thanks for showing us.

-Considering the lightness of the MAS and the full power round it shoots, I was pleasantly surprised at how mellow it is to shoot. Very manageable & easy to follow up. I'm apprehensive to admit this, but after some limited experience with the 49/56, I'm tempted to become a full out Francophile!

Aren't the sights different on the updated 49/56 too?
"I reject your suggestion."
-Ramcke

"You would last about an hour in Charlotte before the police were called bc you were walking around outside with a bottle of scotch and a g43."
-Ty O

"I don't appreciate you showing Nazi images. My old lady's granddad died at Auschwitz."
"I'm sorry to hear that..."
"Yeah...he fell off a guard tower."
-You Know How I Get Thomas

Regional Spelling Champoin, 6/6/2012

"Why the hell does it look like you turned into some weird trendy libtard?"
-LooseCannon

Offline Blicero

• Always plays Bf8
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Hermann Goering is my copilot
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2014, 01:24:14 PM »
I just got off the phone with a friend of mine, a collector who owns the MAS I've shot. He was warning me about slam fires. I guess the MAS has the free floater pin like the SKS too?
"I reject your suggestion."
-Ramcke

"You would last about an hour in Charlotte before the police were called bc you were walking around outside with a bottle of scotch and a g43."
-Ty O

"I don't appreciate you showing Nazi images. My old lady's granddad died at Auschwitz."
"I'm sorry to hear that..."
"Yeah...he fell off a guard tower."
-You Know How I Get Thomas

Regional Spelling Champoin, 6/6/2012

"Why the hell does it look like you turned into some weird trendy libtard?"
-LooseCannon

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2014, 01:32:14 PM »
French jokes bat1

It is a pleasure to shoot, I bought a bunch of 7.5 French when Aim had it.  As for the sights the Mas 49/56 sights are updated from the Mas 49. I also have 4 Mas 36s, 2 of which are bringbacks, one is papered from Veitnam, and a Berthier in 8mm Lebel. Back in the day France was the innovator in firearms. The first to produce a smokeless cartridge, the 8mm Lebel, also the first spitzer designed bullet in the same caliber. They are a rifle all to their own, and I enjoy the crap out of them.

Slam fires on the Mas are not an issue with milsurp French ammo, the commercial stuff it can be, with soft primers. At one time there was an aftermarket light weight titanium firing pin, I have one, now they are rare to find. You can do a slight modifaction on a orginial and it helps prevent the slam fire. Original firing pins are readily available and the modifaction is simple, basically blunt the pin. Instructions for the modification are easy to find.

The Hakim, its like shooting a railroad tie, and watching people fumble with it it priceless. To hear that bolt slam shut sends a shiver down my spine. The gas system is OK if going from some hotter Yugo to say weaker Romanian. I tried Turkish once, it beats the piss out of it on any setting, so keep Turkish ammo away. Overall its a pleasure to shoot as well, just takes some strength to hold it, as like you said its beefier than a Garand, but very little recoil from it, even recoil sensitive people could enjoy it.