Author Topic: "Unissued" Yugos from SOG  (Read 32418 times)

Offline K-9

• Beaucoup dien cai dau
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rifleman
  • Save a Life. Adopt.
Re: "Unissued" Yugos from SOG
« Reply #80 on: August 20, 2015, 01:08:47 AM »
All I wanted was a matching numbers M59.  This one goes in the safe in cosmo.  I have a few really nice and also stamped all-matching beauties that have better resale value and cost me less than this.  I have zero reason to shoot this and bring its resale value down further. 

Live and learn.

What information do you need for your list before I put it up?

Offline Direct Connection

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • California is where reality goes to die.
« Reply #81 on: August 20, 2015, 04:53:23 AM »
K9 you do realize the m59's are in a category of their own when it comes to matching numbers. I believe an all matching m59 consists of the stock, bolt, bolt carrier and receiver. Many of these fellers were put together with with leftover parts. And Like RM said, Give it time Bro.. These M59's imo are much more collectible then any 59/66. If your BBL isnt frosted out from corrosive ammo and not being cleaned,, Dude you did good ! I swear there the most accurate SkS alive ! Post up some pics ! thumb1 

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #82 on: August 20, 2015, 07:12:05 AM »
K-9..

Yugos dont have numbers on several parts as DC stated.  Sometimes they were added during the furb process, but I would consider not having them on said parts is perfectly normal.   thumb1 

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline MEBears

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Marksman
« Reply #83 on: August 20, 2015, 08:02:59 AM »
I was a little turned off by the stock on mine at first. It shows old numbers like yours. Part of it I think is because I kept thinking about "unissued" 59/66s. Once I started looking over the metal I forgot about the stock. It is strange that they were so light with the sander though. That makes three numbered like that.

Offline bbush44

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
« Reply #84 on: August 20, 2015, 09:46:37 AM »
K9- I too would like to see some pictures. Mine is suppose to be here tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #85 on: August 20, 2015, 10:09:26 AM »
All I wanted was a matching numbers M59.  This one goes in the safe in cosmo.  I have a few really nice and also stamped all-matching beauties that have better resale value and cost me less than this.  I have zero reason to shoot this and bring its resale value down further. 

Live and learn.

What information do you need for your list before I put it up?

We know so little about Yugos in general that I'd be hard pressed to tell you that a 'matching' numbers M59 even exists in the way that you might find matching Chinese, Russian, Alby, or Romanian SKSs.  The receiver S/N and the stock S/N seem to be the only two that were consistently marked.  Bolts often have stenciled numbers, but I've seen EP'd and blank bolts before.  Bolt carriers could have no numbers, EP'd numbers, stenciled numbers on the top, or stenciled numbers on the side.  Magazines could have no numbers, stenciled numbers on the side, or stenciled numbers on the bottom.  Receiver covers and trigger groups were all hit or miss too it seems, many simply do not have numbers beyond the assigned part numbers. 

With such a hodgepodge of consistency when it comes to numbers on subcomponents, it really seems to me that they were an afterthought (i.e. not originally present on new guns) and only marked when needed to keep tabs on things during a refurb.  Considering that each gun had a logbook associated with it, you'd think the opposite should be true and the Yugos would be the ones with the most consistent set of markings of any of the big five, but it's simply not the case.  Seen in this light, I really don't think much if any premium should be given for an 'all-matching' M59 vs. one where only the receiver, stock, and bolt/bolt carrier match, but the others are blank.  I'd probably consider the latter to be a less refurbished example. 

For the list, I'd like the information requested in Official 2015 Yugo Imports (PW Arms, SOG/Classic/Dan's) Tracking Thread in Yugoslavian SKS - Page 1 of 1 (for an M59: the S/N minus the last one or two digits, whether the RSL is white/blued and whether the crossbolt is flat/round)

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #86 on: August 20, 2015, 10:53:45 AM »
Could be the "main" components on orginial rifles were serialed when each rifle was build. The reciever and stock get numbered for tracking, the bolt and carrier, well at least the bolt. The bolt being pretty much custom fitted, due to headspace, sure others would interchange and fit, but that particular bolt fit perfect. Considering the bore variances on the crate placards, there may have been just as many variances in the machining of the reciever requiring numbered bolts. Im pretty sure, they didn't whip these out on a C-N-C machine. All it takes is a few thousanths of an inch to seperate a good head space rifle from a bad one.

The trigger, gas tube, piston, box mag may have been penciled at refurb, maybe at some point they opt'ed to start numbering all pieces, which is why some are blank. There is no practical reason for these pieces to need numbers, other than maybe tracking, these pieces are pretty much interchangable, not techincally fitted to the respective rifle, more like just "installed".  And, you don't know how many trips to a refurb facility an individual rifle has been, was it just once, 5 or maybe 10 times.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline K-9

• Beaucoup dien cai dau
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rifleman
  • Save a Life. Adopt.
« Reply #87 on: August 20, 2015, 01:56:10 PM »
K9- I too would like to see some pictures. Mine is suppose to be here tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

It seriously looks EXACTLY like MEBears M59.  The only difference is the serial number.  It was really weird to see those pictures.  I won't have time to take pictures until the weekend.