Author Topic: Ruger Blackhawk and Bears  (Read 1348 times)

Offline Chevy Boy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Cadet
Ruger Blackhawk and Bears
« on: April 02, 2021, 10:53:05 PM »
Hi all, I do some of my recreating in pretty dense bear country and am looking at picking up a .44 mag pistol for possible bear defense.

I currently use a 12 gauge loaded with slugs as a camp gun, but when I'm walking long distances in the woods there's no way I'm lugging that with me in addition to my tackle or an 8 lb rifle.

Someone nearby has a .44 Ruger Blackhawk for sale, anybody here got experience with this wheelgun? For those of y'all who also live in brown bear country, penny for your thoughts on bear defense as well.
I've got some oceanfront property in Arizona, you buy that I'll throw in the golden gate for free

Offline Bob_The_Student

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sharp-Shooter
Re: Ruger Blackhawk and Bears
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2021, 04:17:24 AM »
Blackhawks are single action only if not mistaken. Im not sure I'd want a SAO for defense. Redhawk would be the way I go, if it was between the Rugers. Just my opinion.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2021, 01:16:25 PM »
Biggest thing is, find what fits you and your comfortable with and you can handle rapid fire strong recoil and reload quick if needed.  It's not one size fits all, some carry a G20 10mm loaded with 15rounds of 220gr solid cast, someone else may tote 454 Casull or a 460 S&W.  The 454 Casull I have is an absolute beast with some 360 grain and higher loads.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2021, 12:13:49 AM »
The Blackhawk is a fine pistol, and will do the job.
However, in a defense situation, I'm thinking a double action is a better choice.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2021, 07:48:51 AM »
I agree that the Redhawk would be better if you want a reasonably priced good revolver in 44 magnum. It’s heavy too but lighter than a 12ga. The Glock 10mm G20 or G40 are good choices for a reasonably priced semiautomatic packing a lot of ballistic energy.

https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2019/6/3/8-best-charge-stopping-bear-cartridges

Offline Direct Connection

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • California is where reality goes to die.
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2021, 09:52:54 AM »
Totally on board with the Glock comments. And with todays modern 10mm ammo out there and the way I shoot the choice was simple for me. The Glock 10mm is pretty much the go to side arm they carry in Alaska these days.

I do have the Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44mag and love tearing shi+ up with it so buy that one also  rofl thumb1

Offline echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2021, 02:13:27 PM »
I like the .41 mag. PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798