Author Topic: Legit paratrooper or bubba?  (Read 450 times)

Offline MojaveDream

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
Legit paratrooper or bubba?
« on: February 07, 2024, 12:43:26 AM »
Got this /116\ KSI import, wondering if its a legit factory paratrooper or bubba got a hold of it. The cleaning rod is correct but just want to make sure. Also date of manufacture would be cool to know. Thanks!

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
Re: Legit paratrooper or bubba?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2024, 04:46:55 PM »
That's a legit, as-imported by KSI, paratrooper.  It is a year 14 carbine, so 1969 is the date it was born as a full length military carbine.  It was modified into a paratrooper sometime in the late 80's or early 90's prior to being imported by KSI.  They gave it a new stock, cut the barrel down to paratrooper size, and shortened the bayonet at this time.

Looks like a fine example you have there!  thumb1

Offline MojaveDream

• Newber
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2024, 02:46:46 AM »
That's a legit, as-imported by KSI, paratrooper.  It is a year 14 carbine, so 1969 is the date it was born as a full length military carbine.  It was modified into a paratrooper sometime in the late 80's or early 90's prior to being imported by KSI.  They gave it a new stock, cut the barrel down to paratrooper size, and shortened the bayonet at this time.

Looks like a fine example you have there!  thumb1

Thank you for the info and knowledge!

Offline echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2024, 02:31:48 PM »
Very nice Para. Does it say KSI or Kengs. PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline MojaveDream

• Newber
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2024, 12:29:14 AM »
Very nice Para. Does it say KSI or Kengs. PAX

“KSI Pomona CA”

Offline echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2024, 11:41:55 AM »
I'm not absolutely certain but you may have a kinda rare Para collector wise. Is it import stamped on the left or right side? Most wood stocked KSI rifles have the bayo lug & rod guides neutered, leaving only the FSB and the stock notched for the "no-where rail". Hard to find without the rail and I've never seen a KSI Para with a bayo. The Para mod would have likely been done at the factory for the entire FSB to fit all the way to the gas block, although talented Bubba may have wanted a bayo and swapped it out but I think not. Do the numbers match even the wood? PAX
« Last Edit: April 21, 2024, 11:22:23 PM by echo1 »
  You need a crew  

But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline Papahound

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2024, 12:12:26 PM »

My para is also KSI , numbers matching , short bayo , no numbers on the stock , great shooter  thumb1

Papahound

Offline MojaveDream

• Newber
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2024, 01:21:53 PM »
I'm not absolutely certain but you may have a kinda rare Para collector wise. Is it import stamped on the left or right side? Most wood stocked KSI rifles have the bayo lug & rod guides neutered, leaving only the FRB and the stock notched for the "no-where rail". Hard to find without the rail and I've never seen a KSI Para with a bayo. The Para mod would have likely been done at the factory for the entire FSB to fit all the way to the gas block, although talented Bubba may have wanted a bayo and swapped it out but I think not. Do the numbers match even the wood? PAX

Import mark is on the left side of the receiver, the stock has no numbers on it. The bayonet is polished like the highly polished bolt carrier. The magazine is the only thing not matching.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2024, 01:28:31 PM by MojaveDream »

Offline MojaveDream

• Newber
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2024, 01:29:55 PM »

My para is also KSI , numbers matching , short bayo , no numbers on the stock , great shooter  thumb1

Papahound

looks like we got twins from a different mother!

Offline Papahound

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2024, 01:42:15 PM »
 :)

Offline echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2024, 08:41:23 PM »
That's awesome Ph, 2 spiker KSI rifles. My 2 wood KSI Hunter Paras with the rail have the FSB globe only and are import stamped on the right side. The 3rd KSI Hunter I have is without a rail cut, is neutered too, with the bayo channel slot inletted, and import marked on the left. Just guessing but I think our rifles were transitionary. PAX
  You need a crew  

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2024, 09:17:33 PM »
The chrome at the muzzle is black. Is this common on the short bbl variants?

Chrome is not an ideal surface for most paints.

Offline Papahound

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2024, 09:50:04 PM »

Not the best pics , but here’s a shot of mine

Offline echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2024, 10:24:19 PM »
The chrome at the muzzle is black. Is this common on the short bbl variants?

Chrome is not an ideal surface for most paints.

The 2 of mine that had rails are like that but the new counterbore initially would have cut into the white unchromed metal as well. PAX
  You need a crew