Author Topic: Mosin muzzle brake, works great !  (Read 3076 times)

Offline Catmandoo

• Public Nuisance
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
Mosin muzzle brake, works great !
« on: November 14, 2014, 10:23:27 PM »
Ok so I bought a couple of M91-30's when they were cheap and plentiful a few years ago. Two Tula hex's, one to clean and put in the safe and one for Bubba to content his self with. The 1932 Tula was the rougher of the two so Bubba got that one, the other lives in the safe - a quite life.

Some of you have seen this rifle before, but for the rest, I will give a quick run down of the desicration of this fine piece of Russian workmanship.

1932 Tula Hex M91-30

I fitted a Tapco SKS stock to the rifle, steel pillar mounted the action with a full floated barrel. I installed a Houge SKS pistol grip, Choate SKS scope mount, Bushnell 6x24 scope, Millet angle lock scope rings, turned down bolt handle, Smith and Wesson I Bolt recoil reducer in the butt stock tube. I modded an original trigger to a roller pin set up that I worked up, smoothed and tweaked the sear spring. The rifle shot great but recoil was still more than I wanted, would try to fold back the bipod legs with every shot.

Now I am not a weenie when it comes to recoil, but, I thought that there was room for improvement in that area. I started looking at muzzle brakes. After doing a lot of looking and a bunch of emailing I found a guy that will do custom one of a kind brakes at a ridiculously low price. SAS Tactical.

The brake that he made for me is called the JT Hybrid. I specified 15 degree rear angled side ports as well as top ports. The brake is made from stainless steel and flat black mil spec coated. I found out when having the barrel threaded that Mosins external barrel profiles are not extremely concentric with the rifling and bore, so I had the brake tapered to a diameter greater than the barrel so as to eliminate the external misalignment. The bore of the brake and the theaded portion of the barrel line up perfectly as the gunsmith who threaded the barrel centered the lathe on the lands of the barrel.

I actully bought two of these brakes, one for my Mosin and one for my fathers. Mine was already threaded and dads was not. Scott at SAS Tactical was great to work with, excellent communication and even tolerant of my slow wittedness. Scott shipped a drilled and threaded blank to me which I installed and marked for top dead center, he shipped a completed brake to my dad which went with the rifle to the gunsmith.

When my brake showed up it fit perfectly, no alignment problems !

I took the rifle to the range for a test run and I was very impressed. I had the barrel cut behind the front sight due to worn rifling in the end of the barrel, best thing I ever did for accuracy on this rifle. With the brake installed the recoil is about like an AR15, pretty much non existant. Cutting the barrel and getting rid of the worn portion brought groups down to one inch at a hundred yard with silver tip surplus ammo.

I am not affiliated with SAS Tactical, but I would be proud to be. Scott has an email sas_tactical@yahoo.com .

I actually was able to shoot this Mosin like a pistol, on the bipod on the bench, freaking amazing how much the brake actually reduced recoil !  If I sound like a very happy man that is because I am (and I am a picky little SOB about my guns). CMD  :)

A gun is similar to a parachute, if you need one and dont't have it chances are that you will never need one again.

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
Re: Mosin muzzle brake, works great !
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 10:35:00 PM »
Very nice!

I have been tempted to get one of the cheapo bolt on brakes for my T53, mostly to experiment with actual recoil reduction.  I have heard they strip out quickly, so I haven't pursued it.  I also like having my bayonet functional..ya never know. :)

I really like what you did with the stock too.

The reduction must be rather significant to pistol shoot it, congrats on the success!

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 10:46:55 PM »

Well it's good to see someone do mods and add-ons the right way Catman, nice looking setup and very impressive end results!

Offline Catmandoo

• Public Nuisance
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 11:19:40 PM »
Here is a vid from my cell phone, I suck as a cinematogropher. My dad is shooting the rifle, he F's around a bit then loads it and shoots. You have to watch for the shot because the recoil is not really visible. CMD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT1LlYeLdHc&feature=youtu.be
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 11:23:45 PM by Catmandoo »
A gun is similar to a parachute, if you need one and dont't have it chances are that you will never need one again.