Author Topic: Golden Tiger & Brown Bear...AGAIN!  (Read 6391 times)

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
Golden Tiger & Brown Bear...AGAIN!
« on: October 13, 2015, 10:03:45 PM »
I tried the same ammo this afternoon in another of our Chinese critters, my 3 mill /26\ gun. It's odd how these groups wander over a target from one carbine to another. These groups made a radical change of at least six inches across the face of the targets compared to the ones I shot earlier! All of my shooting, pistol or rifle, is always done using the six o'clock hold,  it's odd to me how these rounds grouped where they did!

Hey running-man, tomorrow I'm going to try the M-67 in my Russian...if Mary don't break this up with a danged "honey-do" project!   stop1

GOLDEN TIGER  5 RDS  50 YARDS  (6 in bullseye)

BROWN BEAR  5 RDS  50 YARDS  (6 in bullseye)

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
Re: Golden Tiger & Brown Bear...AGAIN!
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 10:20:13 PM »
Interesting how that brown bear was low, yet the grouping was consistent (well as consistent as you can get with a single 5 round group).

Heck your GT group looks like you got three rounds touching each other.  Not bad Dannyboy, not bad!  clap1

Make sure you clean your Russian out after using that M67.  Your Florida humidity will do a number on barrels, bolts, and gas systems after shooting M67.  thumb1

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 10:24:30 PM »
Lots of good groups there....  More then on-par for an sks.  8)

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Dannyboy53

• Sniper
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 10:35:57 PM »
Thanks running-man. I still have that note you sent warning me about the M67, I'll be sure to clean the carbine out real good. I'm hesitant to shoot it but I want to know how it does!

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 11:09:36 PM »
Laugh, I just don't want to be the one responsible for leaving some rust on your Ruskie! 

In all reality, the "Clean immediately with copious amounts of windex or it will turn into a rust bucket!!!" is ridiculously overblown and is perpetuated w/o any basic in reality.  If you clean with a water based solvent to dissolve the salts sometime shortly after your shooting session, you're good to go. 

Me, I tend to leave a gun uncleaned for far longer than most of the OCD crowd around here!  chuckles1  I've gone days, nay weeks w/o cleaning sometimes.  Of course the dry desert climate is pretty forgiving to slobs like me.  chuckles1

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2015, 01:57:48 PM »
Having different grouping placements isn't that odd. When you fire a rifle, the barrel flexes up and down in a wavelike pattern. The frequency of that pattern will change with different ammo, if the loads and pressures are different. So one ammo type may shoot on center if the bullet is leaving the barrel when the muzzle is at mid flex, and another type of ammo might leave the barrel when the muzzle is flexing up, giving a higher grouping. 

That's what barrel tuners often seen in the bench rest world do.... they tune the flex of the barrel to a specific ammo so that the bullet leaves the muzzle at the same flex point every time.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2015, 02:44:54 PM »
I can see why tuners take the empirical approach; the fundamental science of the various types of vibrational harmonics are incredibly complex  :o

This is a cool table and set of gifs to exemplify some of the issues (amplitudes are probably exaggerated by about 3 to 4 orders of magnitude to make them visible)
Barrel Harmonics Mode Shape Movies

Offline Dannyboy53

• Sniper
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2015, 06:08:01 PM »
I can see why tuners take the empirical approach; the fundamental science of the various types of vibrational harmonics are incredibly complex  :o

This is a cool table and set of gifs to exemplify some of the issues (amplitudes are probably exaggerated by about 3 to 4 orders of magnitude to make them visible)
Barrel Harmonics Mode Shape Movies

The majority of this is way over my head Jon but I still find it fascinating, thanks for the link!

Power I have done a lot of shooting through the years and I have heard of barrel ring, vibration, etc but never noticed the downrange effects until I started shooting the SKS with and without the bayonet deployed.

Running-man, Mary nailed me before I got a chance to shoot today  :(  I spent the entire day running errands with her in Chiefland. We have plenty water-based products to clean with, I'm trying again in the morning!

Offline Root83

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
  • If it goes" bang"...it's all good
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2015, 09:14:05 PM »
Nice paper print Dannyboy53....  Where can you get Golden Tiger anyhow?... not one store in the Springfield Mo area carries it or has even heard of it. I bought some Tula at Wally World the other day... made at the Uly plant..I've heard it's better than the stuff made at Tula's other ammo plant... The only Wolf I can find is hollow point and the only place I've seen it around here has two cases for 189.00 each... there is a little bit of Fiochii and S&B to be had but at 14.00 per box of 20... you cant afford to shoot it...Another store only had two boxes of Brown Bear... Soft Point... gettin hard to find x39 around here.
8yrs and 97 Days in the US Marine Corps, recalled Dec 1990 for Kuwait, orders cancelled before unit ship out date, tried to re enlist Sept 14, 2001... told I was too old...by one year. Dang It
Semper Fi

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2015, 09:19:17 PM »
SGAmmo is the best source and price I've found for GT.

http://www.sgammo.com/catalog/rifle-ammo-sale/762x39-ammo

Offline Dannyboy53

• Sniper
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2015, 11:40:24 AM »
Nice paper print Dannyboy53....  Where can you get Golden Tiger anyhow?... not one store in the Springfield Mo area carries it or has even heard of it. I bought some Tula at Wally World the other day... made at the Uly plant..I've heard it's better than the stuff made at Tula's other ammo plant... The only Wolf I can find is hollow point and the only place I've seen it around here has two cases for 189.00 each... there is a little bit of Fiochii and S&B to be had but at 14.00 per box of 20... you cant afford to shoot it...Another store only had two boxes of Brown Bear... Soft Point... gettin hard to find x39 around here.

Root83 two boxes of this was gifted to me to try by running-man, I haven't seen any of it in my area either.