Author Topic: Best quality AK?  (Read 11547 times)

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
Best quality AK?
« on: February 12, 2016, 10:22:40 PM »
I have a customer in NY who wants me to build him an NY compliant AK, that is basically the same as the one I built for my brother. But this guy wants it to be a top quality AK, and I'm really not up on all the differences.

So what are your opinions on what's the best country AK to use?

Online Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
Re: Best quality AK?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 10:56:09 PM »
Kinda like asking whats the best country sks.   rofl

I guess russian.... Because it was first duh.  :))

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 11:52:56 PM »
Valmet thumb1 Russia may have designed it, but Finland perfected it.. :))
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Online Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 07:56:39 AM »
Yugo... Because I have one.   :))

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline fenceline

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Marksman
  • The Canadian Contingent
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 01:07:48 PM »
Valmet is really nice. Love my m78. My deactivated 1981 AK74 looks really good as well. Real soft shooter tho.  rofl
RUSSIA SKS45: Tula 49, 50, 51 x2, 53 x2, 54, 57(И); Izhevsk 53, 54
POLAND SKS45: "W.P." Marked Tula 52
CHINA TYPE 56 CARBINE: /26\ 60 "S", 61, 64, 65, 66, 79; /UK5?\ 69; /256\ 70; /316\ 70; [0138] Stamped Receiver 70 x2; /306\ 71; /416\ 公安 73; /0412\ 78
CHINA Civilian: SKS-D (XZ), "SKS-D", Cdn Para x2
N. KOREA: T63
YUGO PAP M59: 66 C-Series x2; PAP M59/66a1: 73 J, 83 T
ALBANIA 561: 78

Searching: Romanian, German, Vietnamese, IC, and the rest...

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2016, 02:50:04 PM »
You say top quality, the Ak scene is highly subjective, the Valmet usually on the top of the pile, but, you got China who built them slightly heavier than the European counter parts, thicker receiver, heavier barrel, basically an RPK in Ak clothing and what not.

Then you have the early '80s Egyptian built on Russian machinery. Oh, then there are Bulgarians and Polytechs with their fully machined receivers. Some of the Hungarians are decent as well, as are the Izmash Saigas and Veprs. Maybe lump in a Polish.

Then another question....caliber, just in x39 or...... a Yugo M76 in 8mm, a Romanian PSL-54c in 7.62x54r, NDM-86 in 7.62x54r, Saiga 12 or 410 shotgun, the Vepr in 308, an Arsenal SLR 106-31 5.56mm or the SLR 104-33 in 5.45mm, and if money is no problem the Russian SVD-63(pure sex right thar drool2).

And all the cool letters and numbers...SA85, SA93, SLR95, SLR96, MAK90, NHM90, MAK91, NHM91  chuckles1

And to throw a wrench in the machine, cause I'm that kinda guy  thumb1 , the non-Ak variants, the bastard children, the IMI Galil, the Vz 58 and for the giggle factor the South Korean Daewoo K2 assault rifle and K1 assault carbine :)

It's easier to ask which to avoid like the MISR-90 or early the WASRs.

They all have their pros and cons, in the end it's a simple effective platform and any of them are fixable. Most all, with the exception on a few pre-ban ones were built here from parts kits, their quality is only about as good as the monkeys drilling the holes and behind the rivet guns.

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2016, 03:16:36 PM »
You say top quality, the Ak scene is highly subjective, the Valmet usually on the top of the pile, but, you got China who built them slightly heavier than the European counter parts, thicker receiver, heavier barrel, basically an RPK in Ak clothing and what not.

Then you have the early '80s Egyptian built on Russian machinery. Oh, then there are Bulgarians and Polytechs with their fully machined receivers. Some of the Hungarians are decent as well, as are the Izmash Saigas and Veprs. Maybe lump in a Polish.

Then another question....caliber, just in x39 or...... a Yugo M76 in 8mm, a Romanian PSL-54c in 7.62x54r, NDM-86 in 7.62x54r, Saiga 12 or 410 shotgun, the Vepr in 308, an Arsenal SLR 106-31 5.56mm or the SLR 104-33 in 5.45mm, and if money is no problem the Russian SVD-63(pure sex right thar drool2).

And all the cool letters and numbers...SA85, SA93, SLR95, SLR96, MAK90, NHM90, MAK91, NHM91  chuckles1

And to throw a wrench in the machine, cause I'm that kinda guy  thumb1 , the non-Ak variants, the bastard children, the IMI Galil, the Vz 58 and for the giggle factor the South Korean Daewoo K2 assault rifle and K1 assault carbine :)

It's easier to ask which to avoid like the MISR-90 or early the WASRs.

They all have their pros and cons, in the end it's a simple effective platform and any of them are fixable. Most all, with the exception on a few pre-ban ones were built here from parts kits, their quality is only about as good as the monkeys drilling the holes and behind the rivet guns.

Would it be safe to say any kind with a milled receiver would be considered better quality?

Offline fenceline

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
  • The Canadian Contingent
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2016, 05:40:37 PM »

What? No a Type 81 mention?  :P  rofl2
RUSSIA SKS45: Tula 49, 50, 51 x2, 53 x2, 54, 57(И); Izhevsk 53, 54
POLAND SKS45: "W.P." Marked Tula 52
CHINA TYPE 56 CARBINE: /26\ 60 "S", 61, 64, 65, 66, 79; /UK5?\ 69; /256\ 70; /316\ 70; [0138] Stamped Receiver 70 x2; /306\ 71; /416\ 公安 73; /0412\ 78
CHINA Civilian: SKS-D (XZ), "SKS-D", Cdn Para x2
N. KOREA: T63
YUGO PAP M59: 66 C-Series x2; PAP M59/66a1: 73 J, 83 T
ALBANIA 561: 78

Searching: Romanian, German, Vietnamese, IC, and the rest...

Offline bbush44

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2016, 06:20:44 PM »
Valmet thumb1 Russia may have designed it, but Finland perfected it.. :))

Here's one for sale...
http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?419136-WTS-Non-import-marked-VALMET-M76-5-56-fixed-butt
 whistle12 chuckles1 dance2
Come on GM get out that moldy money of yours, you can't take it with you... geezer1
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 11:26:37 AM by bbush44 »

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2016, 01:37:41 PM »
What? No a Type 81 mention?  :P  rofl2

Nope, bat1 they ain't available to me...so, they don't exist...they are what fairytails are made of  chuckles1 chuckles1

Come one GM get out that moldy money of yours, you can't take it with you... geezer1

Naw, I can't take it with me...cause the wifey took it from me rofl2

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2016, 11:12:39 PM »
Ok.... is there anything on the atlantic firearms website that any of you would consider a higher quality AK?

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2016, 11:34:07 PM »

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2016, 12:13:19 AM »
Arsenal has a good reputation. They also offer milled receiver variants depending on how far your client wants to go towards the top end.

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2016, 12:22:14 AM »
Arsenal has a good reputation. They also offer milled receiver variants depending on how far your client wants to go towards the top end.

I was looking at those. That may be the route I go. He is not afraid to spend money. He has $50k competition shotguns he shoots with.

Do you know if the fixed stock and side folding stocks attach the same to the receiver? He wants the same magpul stock I put on my brother's ak, but it seems the folders are more readily available. Just don't want to get him a folder and then not be able to attach the magpul.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2016, 12:48:36 AM »
I think on them, going from fixed to folder is easier than folding stock to fixed... But, folders seems what everything is going to, I perfure fixed. 

Not as simple as a Vz58 where you remove a big screw, and swap. :)

Offline sksmcrossvilletn

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Marksman
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2016, 04:06:09 AM »
I have a customer in NY who wants me to build him an NY compliant AK, that is basically the same as the one I built for my brother. But this guy wants it to be a top quality AK, and I'm really not up on all the differences.

So what are your opinions on what's the best country AK to use?

Ddi out of Knoxville TN builds nice ak's honestly he'd come out cheaper just buying straight from them, classic or Atlantic firearms. They use nitride barrels from green mountain and they nitride all the other parts as well. The receiver is gas nitrided then sprayed in kg gun kote. At present they are building them on receivers they make and Hungarian parts kits. But in the near future they will be making their own parts and building a totally made in USA ak. People are getting 2" groups and sometimes less out of their barrels. They have good customer service. They pay for shipping both ways if something goes wrong. Best of all they have Troy sellers who is a big name in the industry as one of their quality control supervisors. You can even speak to David fillers the main owner directly if needed. They even sell em with the magpul Zhukov folder if you want. They've got milled ones to.

If it passes Rob skis test its good enough for anyone!

« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 04:18:55 AM by sksmcrossvilletn »

Offline sksmcrossvilletn

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Marksman
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2016, 05:15:35 AM »
More ddi including 12 gauge

« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 05:20:00 AM by sksmcrossvilletn »

Offline Brawny

• Cadet
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2016, 08:27:29 AM »
I am hoping to get my ddi underfolder today (crosses fingers).

Offline rwhite135

• Liberty University Alum
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2016, 12:21:41 AM »
If I were going to put together an AK for someone in one of the ban states, I'd start with a Vepr. With Fime having taken over the importation, we're seeing more calibers starting to come in besides the 7.62x54R.  You also wouldn't have to worry about magazine capacity and pinning them as they come from the factory with either 5 or 10 rounders. They also use the heavier RPK receiver which is on par with a milled one in my opinion.