Author Topic: Yugo M48  (Read 12053 times)

Offline John Galt

• Jack of all trades…Master of none!
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Marksman
Yugo M48
« on: June 04, 2016, 10:29:55 PM »
LGS owner called me and asked if I would look at some SKS's that he just bought in a lot from a retired FFL dealer.  Not much special as far as SKS's go and was going to leave when he brought out the "last" one.  It said SKS on the box but it wasn't.  It was a M48...and it called my name.  I know nothing about mausers first off.  I did a search and found beautiful ones for sale from a web store for around $280 or so.  I knew about the M48A and stamped mag floor plate and wanted a milled mag M48 and that is what it is!

Anyway, i don't know what parts are usually serial stamped, but the stock, magazine floor plate, bolt, and receiver all match and I did see the BK stamp indicating rearsenal work.  The stock is beat up and may have seen some action or just bounced around in a truck for all I know! 

It is all taken apart and cleaned now as it was covered in cosmo.  Is there something you guys would like to see to determine a year of manufacture or anything special I should look for?  I will post pics tomorrow!  I got the M48, cleaning kit in a pouch, a leather ammo pouch similar to the yugo sks ammo pouches, a leather sling with the sling tab, bayonet, frog, and scabbard for $350.  Did I do ok?
When the Cambrian measures were forming, They promised perpetual peace.
They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know."
Rudyard Kipling  1919

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
Re: Yugo M48
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 10:44:33 PM »
I dunno about value....  All I know is I see no pics!!!

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Tank50

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2016, 11:17:38 PM »
For the full history of your Mauser see "Serbian and Yugoslav Mauser Rifles" by Branko Bogdanovic. The M-48 was produced in its original (all milled) form from 1950-1952. 1953 saw the introduction of some stamped parts and the designation M-48A. My first look at a M-48, like you, was love at first sight. I paid $300 at a gun show three years ago. Mine looked to be in unissued condition but came with no accessories. Many of these rifles were produced and immediately sent to armories where they were periodically maintained and kept in good condition. Some saw some action in the civil wars spawned by Yugoslavia's breakup. They are based on the prior model 1924 with some details from the German 98. The action is .25" shorter than the 98 so parts don't all interchange.

Mine shoots as good as it looks. One thing to keep in mind is that most milsurp ammo is corrosive. Put some water down the barrel and clean the bolt face with a wet rag to dissolve the corrosive salts then clean as usual.

It sounds like you paid a fair price as these rifles are appreciating. Be warned though; like the SKS these Mausers can be addictive. I now own four of them.

Good luck and good shooting.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 12:07:02 AM »
M48: 1948-1952
M48A: 1952-1956
M48B: 1956-1965
M48BO: 1956-1965

There is no way to really date one, you can get close with the model numbers. The stamped parts are the mag floor plate and trigger guard, in my 4 Yugo variants, there is no difference in operation or durability. It was a material and time saving measure basically.
I'd say for the lot of accessories you got, you did pretty well thumb1

Sexy beat up.. like this drool2

I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2016, 12:38:14 AM »
John I look forward to seeing some photos of your Yugo.

Greasemonkey that's a beauty for sure, makes me want one!

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2016, 10:06:25 AM »
Here's another vote for pictures  :)

With all of those accessories, especially the bayonet and sling, I'd say you did well. As you say, the switch from a milled to a stamped floor plate was the distinctive feature of the M48A, whereas the M48 had all milled parts. The M48B had stamped floorplate, triggerguard and follower.  The M48BO (bez oznake, without markings) can be found in any configuration (M48, M48A or M48B).

The M48BOs were the last M48s made, alongside the M48Bs but the BOs were contract/export rifles without the Yugoslavian crest. I have a Syrian crested M48BO in M48 B configuration (kind of, it has a stamped trigger guard but a machined floorplate that is matching) and another M48BO in M48 configuration with no crest but with an unusual inlet in the stock for a disc said to be from a (never delivered?) Egyptian contract. Perhaps, since contracts for Syria, Iraq and Egypt are known (as well as a contract for Indonesia).

The ВК (VK) mark stands for Vojna Kontrola, or military control and is an original manufacture inspection mark, not a refurbishment mark. About 238,000 M48 configuration rifles were manufactured from '50-52, according to Bogdanovic's "Serbian and Yugoslav Mauser Rifles". The earlier, late 1940s rifles were the M24/52 and M98n (aka M98/48) rifles. SNs on the receiver, barrel, bolt, stock and floorplate are standard.  Assembly numbers on the receiver and barrel, like on a Yugoslavian SKS.

V and W markings
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 10:44:53 AM by Phosphorus32 »

Offline John Galt

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2016, 04:00:08 PM »
Here are the promised pics!

They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
Rudyard Kipling  1919

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2016, 04:10:06 PM »
There you go!  That's a beauty!  Great bluing with just a few nice character marks in the stock  thumb1

If you peek under the handguard, you should see the SN there as well.

Offline John Galt

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2016, 07:01:26 PM »
I do have a question and please forgive my ignorance...buy why is the under side of the rear sight leaf graduated  for distance like the top?
Rudyard Kipling  1919

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2016, 07:26:08 PM »
I do have a question and please forgive my ignorance...buy why is the under side of the rear sight leaf graduated  for distance like the top?

Good question. I don't know the answer. My guess is that it would be so you could pop the sight up perpendicular to the barrel, set the range and then drop it back down without lifting your head above the trench, berm, rock etc. to look at the top of the sight leaf.

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2016, 10:44:25 PM »
Guys both of those rifles are a beauty, thanks for the look-see!

Offline Tank50

• Newber
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2016, 04:55:30 PM »
John, that's a beauty. I'd say you did very well.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2016, 06:18:51 PM »
Looks like a fine example!

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2016, 06:40:10 PM »
Looks real nice  thumb1 and congrats on your first, and if I'm guessing, probably not your last, you'll stumble on to a M24/47 or a Vz24 or a K98 or a M1916 or a M1908 or M1912..it never fricken ends.. rofl   

But we are here for you buddy  thumb1 , we will help you through this problem, enable :o , er, I mean advise, assist you, show you the way.. thumb1 thumb1 .......... rofl2

Quote from: John Galt on June 05, 2016, 07:01:26 PM

Good question. I don't know the answer. My guess is that it would be so you could pop the sight up perpendicular to the barrel, set the range and then drop it back down without lifting your head above the trench, berm, rock etc. to look at the top of the sight leaf.

Exactly, kind of a carry over from Mausers of days gone by..the Gew98 had these marks also.

Here is the rear leaf set to a 1000 meters, top side vs what the bottom reads.

Same but at 1500 meters, top seting vs what the bottom reads.

M48s can vary from my beater above to my other bringing sexy back striped M48

Offline John Galt

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2016, 08:22:04 PM »
Thanks for the comments friends and thanks for sharing your pics!  If I find a nice striped version I WILL bring it home! 

Now I need some ammo.  Any recommendations?
Rudyard Kipling  1919

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2016, 08:59:35 PM »
196-200gr heavy ball. If you want reloadable brass then PPU. If you don't mind corrosive primed ammo then the Yugoslavian M75 (yeah, also PPU) is a great value. 

http://www.sgammo.com/product/prvi-partizan/15-round-box-8mm-mauser-m75-sniper-196-grain-copper-fmj-bt-yugo-surplus-ammo

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2016, 09:10:00 PM »
Ammo...

uh, any non American ammo, it's woefully whimpy and pricey. One could find some nice Turkish ammo, it's gotta nice thump thumb1, Yugoslavian 50's stuff is still found from time to time, you might find a hard primer depending on the year, or some nice stinky gym sock Romanian would work good.  Prvi makes pretty decent reloadable stuff, but being new production, it's priced accordingly.

It's stinky and got strippers  chuckles1 thumb1
http://www.sgammo.com/product/surplus/680-round-crate-8mm-mauser-154-grain-fmj-ammo-stripper-clips-made-romania

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2016, 10:27:24 PM »
It's stinky and got strippers  chuckles1 thumb1

Ammo?!  Sounds like you're talking about Oakland where I am tonight

Offline Tank50

• Newber
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2016, 12:57:25 PM »
+1 to the Yugo M75 at sgammo.com.

Offline John Galt

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2016, 08:39:56 PM »
Ordering some sgammo M75 tonight!  Thanks for the input guys!
Rudyard Kipling  1919