Author Topic: New to me Norinco Bubba, what do I have here?  (Read 3961 times)

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
Re: New to me Norinco Bubba, what do I have here?
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2021, 10:39:21 AM »
The difference of the OD at 16 1/2" vs 17 3/8"(step up right behind the oem fsb) is nominal and at the M15(.58") so yes, you would need an annular cutter to turn down the barrel to M14(.51") at least 1 1/8" deep for your modded fsb and the MB. Then the threading tool and keep in mind, only the AK uses LH thread others, like the yugo SKS, are RH thread and there may be more options available in MBs in RH thread.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline Bubbazinetti

• MAGA Patriot
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Marksman
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2021, 03:12:45 PM »
M14=.551" not .51",that is M13.
When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2021, 04:02:11 PM »

Yup, divide metric sizes by 25.4mm/inch to convert mm to inches, i.e., convert to the old British Monarchy's system of measurements that we use in the US  rofl

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2021, 04:32:32 PM »

Yeah, brain malfunction, meant to put .55" not .51"
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline lowell66dart

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Marksman
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2021, 04:44:44 PM »
Thanks for all the info. We cut it today. Came out at 16.25. Modified the front sight so this will be a press on and one pin deal. We were able to chuck it up after the cut and machine for the sight and then cut a little deeper for the threads. Ordered the die and pilot today. Also ordered a comp/break.

The tools I mentioned above came in today. Nice stuff and that guy ship fast.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 08:46:14 AM by lowell66dart »
I have to grow old but I don't have to grow up...

Online echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2021, 05:02:36 PM »
Since you were able to us a lathe to turn the barrel, was there a specific reason you went bayoless? Myself, I think that set up looks really clean. PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline lowell66dart

• Marksman
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2021, 05:17:00 PM »
Someone had already chopped most of the lug off and it was ugly. Also the bolt cover has been drilled and tapped and the original stock is missing. So with all that I don't feel too bad making this a bubba. Here's a pic of my buddy's work and another pic of what another friend sold me today. I have really good friends!

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2021, 11:21:03 PM »
Here's a pic of my buddy's work and another pic of what another friend sold me today. I have really good friends!

REALLY good friend there. I’ll be honest here, aside from my close family, there are exactly zero friends I would consider selling *any* ammo to these days.

My boss was complaining that he just finished the last of his .22 mag ammo the other day at the range.  Said he guilted one of his buddies into selling him a couple of boxes because there is none to be had anywhere around town at any price.  I just grinned and smiled.  I don’t own a 22 mag, but oddly enough I have several thousand rounds of it (accumulated when it was dirt cheap many moons ago) just in case...

I wish I’d have had that foresight to have *really* stocked up back then. Could have made a pretty penny in these ridiculous times!

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2021, 01:06:01 AM »

My boss was complaining that he just finished the last of his .22 mag ammo the other day at the range.  Said he guilted one of his buddies into selling him a couple of boxes because there is none to be had anywhere around town at any price.  I just grinned and smiled.  I don’t own a 22 mag, but oddly enough I have several thousand rounds of it (accumulated when it was dirt cheap many moons ago) just in case...

Here you go: https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ammunition/

Show him that and tell him you know a guy that *might* sell some for about half that price....... ;)
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline lowell66dart

• Marksman
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2021, 09:03:49 AM »
Threading tools and brake finally came in. Maybe tomorrow I can try and see if will function.
Friend gave me this made in japan Tasco red dot.  The ATI with the cheekrest works nice so the Tapco will be for a rifle I haven't bought.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2021, 09:06:26 AM »
Looks really nice there Lowell.

Online echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2021, 10:27:48 AM »
Looks like it handles nice. PAX
  You need a crew  

But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline lowell66dart

• Marksman
« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2021, 06:49:00 PM »
Got to put a dozen rounds thru it today, functions fine. Darn red dot won't adjust left or right.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2021, 07:38:45 PM »
Just noticed it, looks like it is on backwards. Turrets should be on top and right with illumination knob on the left or top. That is the standard configuration of all scopes and dots. Unless there is something I don't know about it with that knob on the left side, but the illumination knob/dial wouldn't usually be on top AND in front of the elevation turret.

?????

Offline lowell66dart

• Marksman
« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2021, 09:02:59 PM »
Good eye my friend. Let me start by saying this is the first red dot I have ever held or used. Downloaded some install instructions and the only way I see a red dot is to mount it as shown in the picture above which is backwards. When I couldn't get the windage to move I gave up.

A couple of days ago Amazon sent me this offer of %20 off and one day shipping on the cheap micro dot. A friend had bragged on them and I saw a video where a guy just totally abused the heck out of the poor thing and it held up so $41 later it showed up late today. I didn't like the single screw attachment so I put something else on for now. Gotta go shoot it but the dot on 1 equals like 6 on the Tasco.

Online echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2021, 09:03:58 PM »
Yes, backwards. PAX
  You need a crew  

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2021, 10:23:22 PM »
Hey Lowell, just sent you a PM